• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purple clothing because it’s Lent.

That’s what I figured. I wore a purple tie to Mass last Sunday, and thought TWD’s choice might have just been a coincidence… or not. Never seen a purple jacket or blazer on a white male before— I’d normally get vibes of Cedric the Entertainer, but in @Thin White Duke ’s case, it looks great. When I posted yesterday, I didn’t have time to find the other threads to investigate the reason behind the choice of colors.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had to google Cedric.

Loud colour jacket might be seen on coach drivers in this country. Though Shearings drivers seem to wear bright blue. Morrissey interview with Jonathan Ross is another example, but closer to Butlins redcoats in his case.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The purple is only cos I came across the cloth on eBay and liked the look of it. At the time I was searching for a green tweed but also remember Crusty had a purple odd jacket that looked great which inspired me to give it a whirl. Jacket was made up by Jason at Thick As Thieves. I’m currently agnostic and certainly not a left footer so any reference to the church, catholics, lent etc is completely lost on me and purely coincidental!

As for bright coloured blazers - I have several which evolved into my wardrobe after many years living in Florida. I fully realise they wouldn’t fly at all back home or anywhere in Northern Europe. This is a rare winter weight one but the others are all in linen or very lightweight unlined hopsack wool.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha— point taken! That jacket is a daring color for sure; very nice. Speaking of green tweed jackets— I’m currently having one made up by Bookster. They made me a green Loden cloth one that sadly got wrecked a couple years ago.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha— point taken! That jacket is a daring color for sure; very nice. Speaking of green tweed jackets— I’m currently having one made up by Bookster. They made me a green Loden cloth one that sadly got wrecked a couple years ago.
Somewhere I saw a lovat green herringbone tweed jacket with a rust coloured windowpane and became obsessed. I even bought a jacket that came close colour-wise but the quality was crap and it took major surgery to look decent but I still wasn’t happy with the outcome. Then one day I was browsing the DNA groove website and there it was! Not really tweed and not herringbone but more suited to warm weather it was a wool hopsack with a rust overcheck so I grabbed that and it satisfied my obsession.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today in navy linen, cross posting from CM WAYWRN …

IMG_7649.jpeg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
51Id35QBXsL.jpg

Posting this on here as it seems the most appropriate thread for it.
I saw the book for sale at '80s Casual classics' I havent read it so I cant recommend it,the format looks a good idea and who knows maybe other books will follow 'Teds' 'Suedeheads' 'scooter boys'

Apparently there is another book about Casuals/clothes Clobber by Roo Oxley...

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am dressing much more casually since the pandemic/lockdown and discovering '80s casual classics' (I have no connection to them) has been interesting.

Looking at certain items with nostalgia (it is after all 40 + years ago) and then thinking 'hmm maybe not' about Patrick cagoules....Pringle jumpers and Farah slacks seem more suitable now.
The hot weather for the last 6 months (excluding the mini ice age in early August) has seen me wearing Trainers,shorts and Fila T shirts day after day,maybe a geriatric Wham look....

80s CC is very sportswear orientated but (imo) worth a look at just to stir some memories.

Swampster

Reaction score
There was a brief thing for the casuals* round here to wear Belstaff smocks. Perhaps it was the one-upmanship"" of the trend, similar in shape to cagoules but more expensive and harder to get. One of my friends badgered his parents to get one from him, but he was short for his age and it had an elasticated hood. He never wore it.
A short while later, we went on an outdoor adventure course, and the centre outfitted us all in the same Belstaff smocks.
I didn't ever buy my own, but I think I liked it enough to get a 60s cadet smock which was more of a student shabby equivalent.

*Football trendies seemed to be the local term.
**As an outsider, it seemed to be a trend driven by rarity and expense. I suppose lots of other trends are the same, but this was the one I was most aware of. I certainly couldn't understand the middle-aged golfer vibe.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
71gEy6Ov+mL._AC_UX569_.jpg

I have one of these Fjallraven Vardag,it has 'met my mate Stanley' and had the hideous logo/badge removed....quite breathable material OK on a humid rainy day over a T shirt or over a jumper when its colder.
Cagoules are quite interesting,Peter Storm made some of the earliest ones,the PS owner was a former Royal Marine and the Cagoule was intended to be able to pack into a pocket for emergencies.
Later Royal Marines and others in the armed forces bought Barbours,apparently the flyweight Barbour durham was a favourite,a few pictures of them worn in Falklands war.
In the last 40 years huge improvements in technical materials like Gore tex etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics