• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice strides
Thank you! Best part is that I found them at a thrift store for 18 euros and they fit me perfectly without any need for alteration.

Checks on checks @Luigi_M - I hadn't thought about that, but it seems to work well here. I have had some nice Angelico pieces including this brown flannel suit
I myself was dubious about 'check on check', but the contrast between checks on my jacket is much less apparent in the flesh, so that it appears a dark charcoal and doesn't clash too much with the strides.
Angelico is a good mid-low tier maker and bought several suits and jackets from them. It's quite a slim fit cut though, and, as in the last years I got some bulk, I outgrew most of my suits. Luckily the jackets were a more generous shape and I still can wear them.
About brown flannel suits, well, great minds think alike; here's mine:
20210312_122518-1.jpg 20210312_122315-1.jpg
Caruso, full canvassed, found nwt on the Bay for 200 euros. Tie is vintage Armani (this means I bought it new in my thirties ...) and Oxfords are Alfred Sargent.
Turnups on the strides and width of the tie apart, I think this might be held as a fair evolution of the classic Look of the mid - sixties.

IIRC @Thin White Duke raised a point about jacket lapels pressed flat with the higher buttonhole just peeking out. I think my jacket is a good sample of a nice three roll two, instead. What do you think?
20210312_122842.jpg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Best part is that I found them at a thrift store for 18 euros and they fit me perfectly without any need for alteration.

I myself was dubious about 'check on check', but the contrast between checks on my jacket is much less apparent in the flesh, so that it appears a dark charcoal and doesn't clash too much with the strides.
Angelico is a good mid-low tier maker and bought several suits and jackets from them. It's quite a slim fit cut though, and, as in the last years I got some bulk, I outgrew most of my suits. Luckily the jackets were a more generous shape and I still can wear them.
About brown flannel suits, well, great minds think alike; here's mine:
View attachment 1572757 View attachment 1572758
Caruso, full canvassed, found nwt on the Bay for 200 euros. Tie is vintage Armani (this means I bought it new in my thirties ...) and Oxfords are Alfred Sargent.
Turnups on the strides and width of the tie apart, I think this might be held as a fair evolution of the classic Look of the mid - sixties.

IIRC @Thin White Duke raised a point about jacket lapels pressed flat with the higher buttonhole just peeking out. I think my jacket is a good sample of a nice three roll two, instead. What do you think?
View attachment 1572769
Yes I agree @Luigi_M that lapel is rolling nicely - better really than my 3b bespoke blazer. That has a ‘harder’ look despite also being fully canvassed.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The poll is up in the FC Spring Coats. Looks like it is set up in the same way as last time so that should please @Kingstonian ?

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure this is what you are looking for :

Thanks, a DAKS coat like that but in Crombie cloth, something that may never happen again, but I'm enjoying the thought...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that subtle glen check Luigi.
I lean towards slim strides but think the suit would look more balanced with slightly wider legs.
I have a couple of Boglioli jackets which were great value for money.
Thank you Duke. Think that I got this suit in a EU54 rather than my usual EU52 and in the strides I had to have the waist slightly taken in and the legs let out as much as possible (not that there was that much).
The jacket was perfect as it was though.
If I have a gripe with Boglioli clothing is their all Italian slimness, that suits well only very young and thin men - which I'm no more.
As you said, excellent value, provided one can get a good discount: which, with some patient search, is quite easy to find.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally don't like your format but I do like that. I think it's just the touch of colour
Errr - thanks, I think!?

I only have a couple of gingham shirts but I quite like that look that original skins / suedes did if I remember from my youth of a short sleeve gingham BS type shirt with stapressts or two tone strides, brogues and a blazer.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Errr - thanks, I think!?

I only have a couple of gingham shirts but I quite like that look that original skins / suedes did if I remember from my youth of a short sleeve gingham BS type shirt with stapressts or two tone strides, brogues and a blazer.
Yeah, that was a strong look back then TWD. I remember a black and white gingham bd from a shop opposite Liverpool St station that became the first Reiss.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The FC poll is still running if anyone still wishes to vote. Closes on Thursday.

No spring coat for me today when I popped out. It was dull with a bit of drizzle falling but mild.
42B813D3-27D8-4B44-8FA5-EB33CBF20F85.jpeg
I wore the Venetian loafers, to which I had a paper-thin stick-on sole added.
B3F6172C-EC77-4AC8-862E-30BA4B95D689.jpeg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads