• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore this Charles Tyrwhitt suit in Alfred Brown Yorkshire worsted. It is not bad - working cuff buttons, part canvassed, trousers cut for braces, etc.

View attachment 1568440

View attachment 1568441

View attachment 1568442
I recently put my leather gloves away. Ski gloves went a few weeks ago. I have a couple of pairs of Poundland gloves (50p for each pair) that I sometimes stuff in my pocket but not really cold enough now.

Not really worn a scarf this Winter. Gaiter for covid has mostly taken its place.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently put my leather gloves away. Ski gloves went a few weeks ago. I have a couple of pairs of Poundland gloves (50p for each pair) that I sometimes stuff in my pocket but not really cold enough now.

Not really worn a scarf this Winter. Gaiter for covid has mostly taken its place.
The decline in accessories is another symptom of the overall malaise... I don’t wear gloves as an affectation - like my old dad, I really suffer from cold hands in winter. Even with climate change.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The decline in accessories is another symptom of the overall malaise... I don’t wear gloves as an affectation - like my old dad, I really suffer from cold hands in winter. Even with climate change.
I used to be really pleased with my Primark gloves - two pairs for £2. Black with a clip to hook them together. They were worth the extra over the Poundland ones. At least you never have to worry about losing a cheap pair.

Also great for when you are paranoid about touching things even in Summer. Take a single glove.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the polling finally closed in the tweed challenge. I was happy with (a rather distant) second in that company. The new challenge may be of interest to people here:

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced these challenges have any kudos at all, most entries are a complete mess and only a tiny proportion vote.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced these challenges have any kudos at all, most entries are a complete mess and only a tiny proportion vote.
All a bit silly really.
Hard to complain about it as 1 - it’s all just a bit of fun and 2. - to do so might come off as sour grapes, but there often seems to be little to no correlation between the quality of the outfit and the number of votes. Or even the number of likes and the number of votes. I’ve posted entries which have had a ton of likes and got my usual couple of ‘sympathy votes’ ?!!

Some of the winners have been laughably bad over the years, but it seems that The Look is largely at odds with the mainstream tastes of SF - or at least those who vote.

I’ve posed the question before how come pics influenced by mid sixties Americana such as the plethora of three-pressed-two jackets get almost universal acclaim on SF meanwhile pics influenced by mid sixties England such as hard three jackets get cursory attention, and I haven’t ever got a decent answer beyond the American bias as this is an American website visited largely by Americans.

So despite somewhat frequent entries in the past I’ve become a bit jaded with the whole shooting match. If and when another challenge comes along that interests me I may still have a go as there are times when the theme gets me to think out of the box a bit, but it won’t be this week. I only own one ‘spring coat’ and I doubt very much that my Harry Palmer style mac will garner much interest!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All a bit silly really.
Hard to complain about it as 1 - it’s all just a bit of fun and 2. - to do so might come off as sour grapes, but there often seems to be little to no correlation between the quality of the outfit and the number of votes. Or even the number of likes and the number of votes. I’ve posted entries which have had a ton of likes and got my usual couple of ‘sympathy votes’ ?!!

Some of the winners have been laughably bad over the years, but it seems that The Look is largely at odds with the mainstream tastes of SF - or at least those who vote.

I’ve posed the question before how come pics influenced by mid sixties Americana such as the plethora of three-pressed-two jackets get almost universal acclaim on SF meanwhile pics influenced by mid sixties England such as hard three jackets get cursory attention, and I haven’t ever got a decent answer beyond the American bias as this is an American website visited largely by Americans.

So despite somewhat frequent entries in the past I’ve become a bit jaded with the whole shooting match. If and when another challenge comes along that interests me I may still have a go as there are times when the theme gets me to think out of the box a bit, but it won’t be this week. I only own one ‘spring coat’ and I doubt very much that my Harry Palmer style mac will garner much interest!
Which is sad, because it would be the best of the entries so far.

There is not anything spring-like about the inspiration outfits or a number of the entries. I shall not participate this time for most of the reasons outlined by @Thin White Duke.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers @Mr Knightley
My work trip to South Carolina got cancelled so I’m working from home all next week. The weather here according to my iPhone will be sunny and dry with highs from the 70s to the 80s so it would be disingenuous of me to fake up an entry with a raincoat. Pic here if you or anyone else is curious ...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers @Mr Knightley
My work trip to South Carolina got cancelled so I’m working from home all next week. The weather here according to my iPhone will be sunny and dry with highs from the 70s to the 80s so it would be disingenuous of me to fake up an entry with a raincoat. Pic here if you or anyone else is curious ...

Charade - must watch that again soon!

Well, you could do what most entrants do - just put it on for the challenge and go straight back to the jogging bottoms ?

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
You had « ton of likes » really TWD, when was that ?

i might have a go at this one, even if what a « Spring coat » is stays a bit unclear.
There was a similar Challenge last year (that I won with a Baracuta G10) called « Spring jacket », so I won’t play with a Mac this time (if I enter).

Seule la victoire est belle !

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All a bit silly really.

You are right that unfavourable comments will be written off as sour grapes.

It was good this time to be able to see what was going on. I have long abandoned the notion that anything I like might win - but it is also very difficult to second guess a winner based on what I suspect might appeal to voters.

I don’t think Americana is flavour of the month. I think there are far more entries from CM posters. Americana is mostly confined to the Streetwear sector.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just ordered these beige colour jeans by Uniqlo U. I have been looking for some jeans in this colour for a while and these appear to have a good cut with a higher rise than many, and I have had a good experience with UU items in the past. Has anyone tried anything from Uniqlo this new season?

goods_32_437302.jpg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just ordered these beige colour jeans by Uniqlo U. I have been looking for some jeans in this colour for a while and these appear to have a good cut with a higher rise than many, and I have had a good experience with UU items in the past. Has anyone tried anything from Uniqlo this new season?

View attachment 1569816
No, because you cannot examine the merchandise first. Might get some socks when they reopen and would like to see the down gilets previously recommended on here.

I do have Lidl Birkenstock-style sandals like matey above. But I only wear them in the garden or if we are allowed to go to beaches again. They are not suitable for photographing.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers @Mr Knightley

Rod,

Harry Palmer and Cary have more of a Prussian collar. They also have raglan sleeves rather than inset. Great if the coat works in your weather though.

Those coats in a heavy, navy gabardine were very popular just before Crombies in the UK.

I have a pal who got great use from them. The best drinking coat in the world. Practical colour and they take everything thrown at them, while keeping the owner warm and dry. ‘An old raincoat will never let you down’ in the words of your namesake.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rod,

Harry Palmer and Cary have more of a Prussian collar. They also have raglan sleeves rather than inset. Great if the coat works in your weather though.

Those coats in a heavy, navy gabardine were very popular just before Crombies in the UK.

I have a pal who got great use from them. The best drinking coat in the world. Practical colour and they take everything thrown at them, while keeping the owner warm and dry. ‘An old raincoat will never let you down’ in the words of your namesake.

Haha good info K!
I knew my raincoat wasn’t an exact match with the classics but close enough for $30. I don’t much like raglan sleeves on anything so prefer the set in sleeves anyway!

My current beef with raincoats is the deadly boring colours - beige, navy ... sometimes they really push the boat out and do one in tan!

Must have been around Spring of 2013 there was an ad spread in the opening pages of GQ with a bloke in a scarlet red nylon lightweight Hugo Boss trench. I tracked them down online but they were $600 which was frankly ridiculous. After some months I had kept tracking them and they came down to around $400, I waited to see if they’d come down further and they instead just completely vanished from the internet - like purged!
Later on I read about some clothing manufacturers burning last year’s styles and I have to wonder if that’s what happened here. I was hoping it might show up in Off Fifth or Nordstrom Rack or some other purveyor of previous seasons’ clothes but they vanished overnight. Ever since it’s been a grail for me to find some similar brightly coloured lightweight raincoat but no luck as yet. When I look back at the very few times I’ve actually needed to wear a rain coat I have to be sensible about the ‘return on investment’ should I ever find something similar.
Burberry do / did a trench in darker red but it was stupidly short (are legs immune from getting wet?) and stupidly expensive for my rare needs. I saw a Zegna one on eBay in orange once but it was already sold.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads