• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Clouseau to me @Mr Knightley’s look is very Bar Harbor/Nantucket style. Say what you want but the bucket hat has continued to be worn by men of a certain age even if youngsters have since co-opted it.

I guess my point was that most of the pos(t)ers look unnatural, uptight, and uncomfortable with their titfers balanced atop their heads. Mr K and a couple others actually look like they’d wear the picture ensemble past a pub full of maniacs and not be tarred and feathered. ??‍♂️

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Clouseau to me @Mr Knightley’s look is very Bar Harbor/Nantucket style. Say what you want but the bucket hat has continued to be worn by men of a certain age even if youngsters have since co-opted it.

I guess my point was that most of the pos(t)ers look unnatural, uptight, and uncomfortable with their titfers balanced atop their heads. Mr K and a couple others actually look like they’d wear the picture ensemble past a pub full of maniacs and not be tarred and feathered. ??‍♂️
Thanks mate, but tbh I am not completely sold on it. So, it is interesting to read different views.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

It is the whole fit that is wrong actually. No problem with men of a certain age wearing bucket hats, but in this present case on the contrary to what you say it is not natural at all, not age appropriate at all, and it just...don’t look good.
I don’t agree with you, some other posters look good and natural - funnily I think exactly the contrary to you, to me K’s entry is by far the worse.
For example 1st step is a Natural Born Hatter, and D4natural also looks really good. Not a surprise they have the lead.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
To me K is a CM poster, and a CM casual poster. When he tries SW&D he is wrong - his entry on the FC was (to me) more a SW&D try. And it didn’t work.
Here is an extract of an interesting conversation I had on another thread.
Food for thoughts...
I don’t want to offend anyone but I noticed than when CM guys dress SW&D style it doesn’t look good most of the time (of course there are exceptions), while in the contrary more SW&D guys can dress quite well in CM. A guy like Urban Composition comes to mind.
There are a few who swing both ways... as someone who was very much a CM guy in the past but has found asylum in SW&D, I think there are two main reasons for your insightful observation:

1. Getting SW&D right is much harder, because there's a great deal more complexity and fewer clear rules. However, the rules are much clearer in CM, and you can dress really well in a CM idiom just by following those rules. And once you've internalized them, there's not so much to think about. Whereas that's never the case in SW&D. So maybe people who dress really well on the SW&D side are used to thinking a bit more about a wider range of style issues and are therefore (potentially) more adaptable.

2. The curse of 'smart casual' - very simply, that's the swamp in which too many CM guys are still stuck when they try to do SW&D.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This week. Cross post from CM WAYWRN. Details on the blog ...

3B73FF4C-972F-480E-80D3-227E5BC66818.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good Luigi
I’ve been contemplating some sort of houndstooth jacket for a while. The Rake was advertising one last year from DePetrillo that almost had me hitting the ‘buy’ button and Suitsupply occasionally have one up too.
I’m trying to curtail my purchases and find myself wondering how often and in what circumstances I would wear such a jacket in my current predicament so I’ve yet to pull the trigger!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been contemplating some sort of houndstooth jacket for a while
Cheers Duke.
I like tweed, in general (as you can easily dress it up or down) and I find houndstooth and herringbone ones are quite versatile.
Mine, I'd say, is a little loud and thus best suited for when I'm at peace with me and the world (or, said in a bolder way, I feel IDGAF). Yet, in more muted colours (e.g., with the off-white checks switched with a dark brown), it would not be out of place but in a really formal environment.
Besides, I paid my jacket £ 15 (slightly more than euro 30 with all the aft-Brexit taxes and p&p), and it needed no alteration at all, so I'm happy with the deal.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just so you know...
0036db4dd437d911fb04a77f0328354c.jpg
I’m not really into tassels at all but can’t deny that’s a good looking pair of skids there.
I have C and J Harvard 2 penny loafers in tan grain with a rubber ‘city’ soul (kinda like a more formal single width dainite) which might just be my classiest pair of loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads