• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The language of academia revealed

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Here's something an on-campus friend of mine showed me - something his TA kept posted on his door. To you academics on Style Forum, no offense intended. Enjoy. The Language of Academia Revealed The following list of phrases and their definitions might help you understand the mysterious language of (political) science and medicine. These special phrases are also applicable to anyone (crazy enough to be) reading a Ph.D. Dissertation or academic paper. "IT HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN"... I didn't look up the original reference. "A DEFINITE TREND IS EVIDENT"... These data are practically meaningless. "WHILE IT HAS NOT BEEN POSSIBLE TO PROVIDE DEFINITE ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS"... An unsuccessful experiment, but I still hope to get it published. "THREE OF THE SAMPLES WERE CHOSEN FOR DETAILED STUDY"... The other results didn't make any sense. "TYPICAL RESULTS ARE SHOWN"... This is the prettiest graph. "THESE RESULTS WILL BE IN A SUBSEQUENT REPORT"... I might get around to this sometime, if pushed/funded. "IN MY EXPERIENCE"... Once. "IN CASE AFTER CASE"... Twice. "IN A SERIES OF CASES"... Thrice. "IT IS BELIEVED THAT"... I think. "IT IS GENERALLY BELIEVED THAT"... A couple of others think so, too. "CORRECT WITHIN AN ORDER OF MAGNITUDE"... Wrong. "ACCORDING TO STATISTICAL ANALYSIS"... Rumor has it. "A STATISTICALLY-ORIENTED PROJECTION OF THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THESE FINDINGS"... A wild guess. "A CAREFUL ANALYSIS OF OBTAINABLE DATA"... Three pages of notes were obliterated when I knocked over a glass of iced tea. "IT IS CLEAR THAT MUCH ADDITIONAL WORK WILL BE REQUIRED BEFORE A COMPLETE UNDERSTANDING OF THIS PHENOMENON OCCURS"... I don't understand it. "AFTER ADDITIONAL STUDY BY MY COLLEAGUES"... They don't understand it either. ""THANKS ARE DUE TO JOE BLOTZ FOR ASSISTACE WITH THE EXPERIMENT AND TO CINDY ADAMS FOR VALUABLE DISCUSSIONS"... Mr. Blotz did the work, and Ms. Adams explained to me what it meant. "A HIGHLY SIGNIFICANT AREA FOR EXPLORATORY STUDY"... A totally useless topic selected by my committee. "IT IS HOPED THAT THIS STUDY WILL STIMULATE FURTHER INVESTIGATION IN THIS FIELD"... I quit.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you atttend one of my presentations???
biggrin.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I realize that I've been using "It is commonly known" and "It has long been known" interchangeably, erroneously believing them to be synonymous. Sigh, I'm going to write some corrections I guess.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Amazing. All I need to know now is who came up with it?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Wish I knew who came up with it - wish I could say it was me. Â
confused.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Â I realize that I've been using "It is commonly known" and "It has long been known" interchangeably, erroneously believing them to be synonymous. Â Sigh, I'm going to write some corrections I guess.
You should avoid those term anyway when presenting a paper for publication.
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should avoid those term anyway when presenting a paper for publication.
Really? But my poor presentation/article/poster would feel so naked without its clothing of general agreements, commonly accepted knowledge and ability to stimulate further investigations in a very interesting area of research
wink.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should avoid those term anyway when presenting a paper for publication. Â
Really? Â But my poor presentation/article/poster would feel so naked without its clothing of general agreements, commonly accepted knowledge and ability to stimulate further investigations in a very interesting area of research Â
wink.gif

ZING..
biggrin.gif

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Thanks for a good laugh.

MikeF

Reaction score
While serving as a law clerk, we often joked that the only time we begun a sentence with "obviously" was when the proposition that followed was unobvious, and the only time we described something as "trite law" was when we could find no authority for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads