• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for advice on purchace of suit for my wedding

Jvf

Reaction score
Hello there

I am in the fortunate situation, that I am about to get married, this September.

To this end I want to buy a nice tailor made suit for my wedding.
I might be worth adding that when I say "tailor made" I'm still going to buy it in a store.
In Denmark we distinguish between an actual tailor made suit, were some guy make everything from the very beginning with you in mind, and having a suit made from your measurements. I'll "only" have a suit made from the latter method - I am just not sure what it is called in English.

To get to the point, I am down to two suits, from two different providers.
What I want is a three-piece burgundy suit. I already own a few blue ones, so I wanted to get something a bit more special for the occasion and I always loved burgundy.

My dilemma is a matter of pricing and fabric.

Both providers are established and with positive reviews, but now to introduce the two suit options:

First option
1. Measuring method: A big "room/box" you step into and get scanned for measurements.
2. Fabric: 100% worsted wool from Holland and Sherry
Below is a link to the fabric, and a picture of their projection of a suit made of it.
http://apparel.hollandandsherry.com/en/fabric/browse-by-use/suits/337048-crispaire-red-solid
3. Price: Around 1.635 dollars for a three-piece suit. 1788 dollar with a shirt included.

Second option
1. Measuring method: The providers sent an employer to my location to take measurements.
2. Fabric: 70% wool, 30% polyester. The fabric provider is not a well-known brand, but the company making the suits ensure that the quality is excellent. They do by no means try to claim that it is top of the line, but just that it is decent and more than enough to meet most peoples demands.
Below are a few pictures of one of the employees of the suit provider, wearing a blazer in the fabric in question. In my case the pockets, the lapel and so on would look different.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPfKpW9BFV1/?taken-by=nordicsuit
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPMuByEhJab/?taken-by=nordicsuit

3. Price: Around 948 dollars for a three-piece suit, with a shirt included.

I am willing to pay the price for the more expensive suit, but since I've just quit my job, to take a masters degree I am not in a situation where money is no issue - hence my dilemma.

The suits I already own are all wool and wool/mohair, so I have no experience with polyester, except for a very casual blazer, that is almost purely polyester.
Although the fabric is less soft and the overall quality is worse - which is to be expected from a blazer costing 1/5th of my other suit jackets - I honestly have not experienced any of the reported problems with polyester being less "breathable", and that's a 90% polyester jacket, compared to the 30% option I got.

The aspects that makes my decision difficult are the following:
1. The fabric: How much do 30% polyester in your opinion affect the suit in terms of drape, durability, quality. Some people seem to think that it makes a huge difference, while others don't and enjoy the fact that insects don't like polyester.
2. The price: Does the addition of a known fabric provider and 100% wool, justify the increased price, in your opinion?
3. The measuring method: Do any of you have experience with body scanning for measurement? To me it sounds very smart, and I do not doubt that it will be the standard in the future, but I'm uncertain if it gives accurate measurements.

Which suit would you buy, and which one would you recommend that I buy?

And one last question: When I asked about whether or not to have a silk back on the vest compared to having it made entirely of the same fabric, the employee at the more expensive of the two providers, said that they could do it however I wanted, but that he would suggest a silk back, since vests with the fabric on the backs would become very warm.
The employee at the cheaper of the two providers suggested the opposite with looks in mind, stating that he did not find overheating to be a problem.
Either way I'd greatly prefer the vest to be of the same fabric in front and back, since I believe it to look a whole lot better, when not wearing a jacket, but what are your opinion on the matter?
Do a vest without a silk back become to warm?

Sorry for the very long post, and I apologize for any spelling errors or strange phrasings - English is not my first language.

Thank you for reading

ThomGault

Reaction score
First, I'd love to see the fit of the suit made from the scan of your body! So many things are possible with new technology that seem unimaginable a few years ago. (Don't read this as an endorsement of this option, just sheer curiosity.)
Second, are things so different in Denmark that a burgundy suit is normal/accepted for a groom? They may well be, I haven't a clue. I'd stick with a traditional color, but I also have conservative tastes.
Finally, I prefer to avoid polyester in my suits. My experience with cheap polyester suits is bad, but that may be a symptom of bad polyester. Alternatively, I've found Holland and Sherry to provide acceptable fabric. Its value relative to the increased cost is a personal judgment.
If you want my advice, I'd personally choose whichever option provides me the most happiness, and find ways to supplement my income if such is necessary.

Jvf

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer.
If I end up going with the first option, I'll return with an evaluation of the scanning method.

Well Denmark is in a somewhat weird position in that regard.
Danes are known for being very conservative concerning colors, in the sense that black and grey by far is the most common color in clothing. Flashy colors are rarer, but not because they're frowned upon. Danes are by foreigners almost always described as being very private and we do have tradition for not attempting to stand out.
At the same time Denmark is relatively loose in terms of dresscode.
When working in the financial industry or some of the bigger foreign companies stationed in Denmark, it is common to wear a suit, but just wearing a blazer would in most cases be perfectly fine.
A guy I know, working in the financial sector, got a job in London and on his first day at his new workplace, he was wearing a suit and brown leather shoes. When he met his boss, the first remark he recieved was a simple "are brown shoes popular in Denmark?".

So to answer your question regarding the color:
A checkered suit, while acceptable, would probably be regarded as somewhat funky, but a burgundy suit would to most people be regarded as a perfectly acceptable color, and would in most cases just be viewed as a bold pick, which tend to impress in Denmark - as long as you don't go for a bright yellow, pink or otherwise extreme suit of course. It is not common to stand out, but in general it is being received positively, when the person doing so has a reason for it.
But then again.. It is all a matter of perspective. If it's a black or white tie event, you of course stick to the dresscode.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I echo what has been said above:

1. Do not buy any rag with polyester in it; it is not suitable for decent garments. Polyester as you say does not lend itself to a good suit, ability to breath etc. That therefore pushes you to Option 1
  2. H and S cloth is fine.
  3. I would always recommend waistcoats with a back made from the lining of the coat. The cloth variant can be done but it neither looks right nor does it allow your body to cool naturally.
  4. Scanning body measurements is anew one on me but I rather think it should be far better for you than any shop assistant who has had brief training at taking measures. There are many instances here of things going wrong.
  5. This is your wedding and you want to be able to look back at the photographs in thirty years time and be proud of your appearance on the day.
  6. The photographs shown do not help over much as the man is slouching in both but the impression looks wrong and lacks elegance.
  7. As to colour etc. that is your choice, there is a reasonable range of options with H&S and you should get what you feel to be right. Customs in any other country are quite irrelevant to what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of your life.
So Option1 and enjoy the day!

Jvf

Reaction score
Can I echo what has been said above:

1. Do not buy any rag with polyester in it; it is not suitable for decent garments. Polyester as you say does not lend itself to a good suit, ability to breath etc. That therefore pushes you to Option 1
  2. H and S cloth is fine.
  3. I would always recommend waistcoats with a back made from the lining of the coat. The cloth variant can be done but it neither looks right nor does it allow your body to cool naturally.
  4. Scanning body measurements is anew one on me but I rather think it should be far better for you than any shop assistant who has had brief training at taking measures. There are many instances here of things going wrong.
  5. This is your wedding and you want to be able to look back at the photographs in thirty years time and be proud of your appearance on the day.
  6. The photographs shown do not help over much as the man is slouching in both but the impression looks wrong and lacks elegance.
  7. As to colour etc. that is your choice, there is a reasonable range of options with H&S and you should get what you feel to be right. Customs in any other country are quite irrelevant to what is supposed to be one of the happiest days of your life.
So Option1 and enjoy the day!

Do you really think that a vest with a lining back (some silk-like material), looks better than a vest where the back matches the front material?
At weddings you're not wearing the jacket for most of the evening, and I would think that a vest would look at lot better with the back being same material as the front, rather than being two different colors - Especially when one of them is shiny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads