• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

dygital

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a baotou that can make a bespoke polo shirt?

I know Ascot Chang offers it, but at about 2K+ for one, I wanted to know if there was a less expensive alternative.

Ideally, I'd want to get something made of cotton/wool similar to the one Simon Cromptom sells. Any idea where to source fabric appropriate for that?

Last edited:

Polo Collar

Reaction score
187931465_2911123512499371_6509241726018881796_n.jpg

Comparison

186544380_2911123499166039_4415314569676388014_n.jpg

Here's the finished product

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a baotou that can make a bespoke polo shirt?

I know Ascot Chang offers it, but at about 2K+ for one, I wanted to know if there was a less expensive alternative.

Ideally, I'd want to get something made of cotton/wool similar to the one Simon Cromptom sells. Any idea where to source fabric appropriate for that?

Wing on 7/f and Ma on 12/f can make polos IIRC but I don't know if they can make the one-piece collar ones. Sourcing the right kind of fabric may be a bit of a hassle.

dygital

Reaction score
Wing on 7/f and Ma on 12/f can make polos IIRC but I don't know if they can make the one-piece collar ones. Sourcing the right kind of fabric may be a bit of a hassle.
Awesome, I will check them out. Do you know if they have any fabric available? Even if it's some random chinese fabric? Maybe I'll see if they know where I could get some fabric suitable for a polo

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Awesome, I will check them out. Do you know if they have any fabric available? Even if it's some random chinese fabric? Maybe I'll see if they know where I could get some fabric suitable for a polo

Not that I know of. Look for cotton jersey (平織棉布) online or in Sham Shui Po (near Ki Lung Street). Beware though that some of these fabrics are cotton-elastane blends.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
An anecdote: I paid a visit to a shirt sifu ytd (not gonna name who) who's unfortunately stranded with alteration. He literally tossed a shirt onto his table, in his anger, because after 2 rounds of making and remaking, the fitters at the tailor store still failed their job. The makers that this sifu partnered with also effed up some stitching.

Goes to show how tailor stores dig their own graves sometimes, but man that shirt toss scared the crap outta me.lol

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
WMH does do unfused collars.
Thanks . Good to know. I've had a couple shirts made by Wing and another city. may post them photos sometime.

BTW, how do you like that unstructured jacket Ng made you last year? I'm thinking of having one made but dunno how much the fabric itself matters... does it have to be really drapey / thick?

dygital

Reaction score
Thanks . Good to know. I've had a couple shirts made by Wing and another city. may post them photos sometime.

BTW, how do you like that unstructured jacket Ng made you last year? I'm thinking of having one made but dunno how much the fabric itself matters... does it have to be really drapey / thick?
It was a fun experiment but I probably wouldn't do another one. I did it to make a very casual jacket and hoped that it would make a suit more bearable in the summer. However, even a 330g linen wasn't light enough to make it wearable in the current weather.

If you don't have an unstructured jacket, making one might be fun though. Just do it in some more affordable fabrics and see how you like it.

skh821

Reaction score
Hello guys, I just wonder where can i get some Scabal suit fabric at a reasonable price? Better if the shop can provide some catalogue or sample.

I used to wear a Londoner Scabal made by a baotao, but now i have switched to another one and he does not do Scabal fabrics.

Last time i went to Loa Hai Shing and the lady told me Londoner is priced at ~HKD3,000 per meter. Not sure if they are always doing that expensive or they do not prefer selling fabrics to retail customer.

Stanacle

Reaction score
Hello guys, I just wonder where can i get some Scabal suit fabric at a reasonable price? Better if the shop can provide some catalogue or sample.

I used to wear a Londoner Scabal made by a baotao, but now i have switched to another one and he does not do Scabal fabrics.

Last time i went to Loa Hai Shing and the lady told me Londoner is priced at ~HKD3,000 per meter. Not sure if they are always doing that expensive or they do not prefer selling fabrics to retail customer.

Try Samuel Chen in Central. Their Scabal is priced at about HK$700/yard. Very reasonable price. Ng sifu thought it costs more than HK$1K/yard.

dygital

Reaction score
Try Samuel Chen in Central. Their Scabal is priced at about HK$700/yard. Very reasonable price. Ng sifu thought it costs more than HK$1K/yard.
I went to Samuel Chen for my Scabal as well. However, know that they have a very very small selection and they don't have a real book. They just have a selection of fabrics bound together in a plastic flipbook. Price is right though!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads