• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

dygital

Reaction score
I've recently been inspired by Mark Cho/Alan See's instagram and wanted to have a linen suit made...

Is there anyone here who has made a fully unstructured and uncanvased suit from any sifu? I wonder if the price would be lower... Does anyone know the cantonese terminology for such a thing?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sigh... can't fly into HK still... anyone have any idea or guesstimation as to when foreign visitor restrictions will be lifted?

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@dygital

You can talk to "old HK" in person, you will know which bespoke they worked for. Show them your said IG and ask if they can do the same for you :

if not Ng sifu for classic cut, try Wong SY sifu for modern cut.

Kevin Chan sifu and Cheung sifu of Hop On, they also make suits for rich and famous in HK.

@dukenukem4ever

no good news in April.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Sorry I should have been more specific. I am looking for the light weight linen shirting from Spence Bryson but Samuel Chen only carries the trouser weight linen View attachment 1368860

It was possible to buy directly from Ulster Weavers a while back, and not so expensively (maybe around HKD 300/m for suit and around HKD 200/m for shirts fabric with shipping factored in), until Ascot Chang entered into a sort of exclusive dealership with them...

I have Spence Bryson/ Ulster Weaver shirt fabric as well. It feels really great. Irish linen is quite different from Southeast Asian production and, in my view, even better than the French “Normandy” linen that many Italian mills use. The linen sold by Regent Silk Company is not in the same league.

Acorn fabrics sell some Irish linen, which I believe might have been made for them by SB/UW. You may like to take a look.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
@shirtingfantasy
updated 11) suit fabric => denim fabric , linen fabric
please let me know what else to update, thanks.

many thanks ??

Hope enthusiasts will be able to expand their choices from local to abroad and enjoy your blog fully

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
many thanks ??

Hope enthusiasts will be able to expand their choices from local to abroad and enjoy your blog fully

Please let me know more contacts of quality sifu tailors for suit and shirt, fabric suppliers local and online, etc. I will update my blog, it's open for everyone. thanks.

realnoob

Reaction score
while we are at Taobao store, maybe worth a look at this too

they sell lesser-known fabric brands at a reasonable (but not cheap) price, and branded cut length fabrics at a discount.
Have been a repeated customer, a very patient merchant and quite pleasant to deal with.

dygital

Reaction score
@dygital

You can talk to "old HK" in person, you will know which bespoke they worked for. Show them your said IG and ask if they can do the same for you :

if not Ng sifu for classic cut, try Wong SY sifu for modern cut.

Kevin Chan sifu and Cheung sifu of Hop On, they also make suits for rich and famous in HK.

@dukenukem4ever

no good news in April.
I don't really know how to ask for uncanvased unstructured... not sure if a photo will be enough of an explanation. Have you ever tried/heard of anyone doing such a thing at any of the sifus?

as a side now, I remember one of the sifus mentioning to me that loro piana fabric is not very good unless you get the very fine fabrics. anyone have any experience with loro piana?

mannydub

Reaction score
Sigh... can't fly into HK still... anyone have any idea or guesstimation as to when foreign visitor restrictions will be lifted?
Probably not anytime soon. Most of the new confirmed cases are from abroad, so I don't see the mandatory quarantine going away anytime soon.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
I don't really know how to ask for uncanvased unstructured... not sure if a photo will be enough of an explanation. Have you ever tried/heard of anyone doing such a thing at any of the sifus?

as a side now, I remember one of the sifus mentioning to me that loro piana fabric is not very good unless you get the very fine fabrics. anyone have any experience with loro piana?
those old HK, they got over 40 / 50 years experiences in the industry. they must have been through for all kinds of production skills. talk to them in Cantonese , they don't know English.

The Clothing Industry Training Authority (CITA), they are old HK and they are teachers of making suits, they might have English-Chinese version of all technical terms. talk to them in Cantonese.

My blog explained, many sifu suggested not to buy Loro Piana and Zegna. doesn't matter the fabric price, their fabrics don't last long.

Last edited:

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
those old HK, they got over 40 / 50 years experiences in the industry. they must have been through for all kinds of production skills. talk to them in Cantonese , they don't know English.

The Clothing Industry Training Authority (CITA), they are old HK and they are teachers of making suits, they might have English-Chinese version of all technical terms. talk to them in Cantonese.

My blog explained, many sifu suggested not to buy Loro Piana and Zegna. doesn't matter the fabric price, their fabrics don't last long.

@dygital - the problem is that many tailors are people who have virtues of the older generation. To them, whatever doesn’t last long isn’t good ?

Compared to 2x2 British cloth in higher weight, Italian fabric (often 2x1 to give the lightness) is indeed less “durable”. Yes, suits made in robust British fabric can easily last 10 years or more - but whether you want to wear the same suit for 10 years is another issue. Style is not as permanent as bloggers claim and you won’t want to wear a suit in 1980’s style no matter how well-made.

The practical question to ask, when you make a suit, still boils down to: Can I spend this money without feeling devastated? Fine fabric isn’t for everyone, and they are only useful if they make you feel good before and after the purchase...

P.S. To answer your question, nicer Loro Piana fabric is quite easy to pill (we are talking about Wish, Dream Tweed and the cashmere stuff). Loro Piana “Zealander” is just similar to VBC or Reda and I don’t see the point of getting them. Zegna seems a bit better in durability (I have Milmil 14, 13, Trofeo, Traveller and Heritage Tweed), but then you also still can’t get the lowest line “Tropical” as it’s extremely fragile. @PekingRoadHK would call this kind of fine fabric “unnecessary” especially we are taking about more than HKD 1000 or 2000 per yard here.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
By the way, patina artist for @PekingRoadHK to add...

The process took about 2 weeks and the charge was HKD 950. Swipe to see the before shots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads