• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I had 2 more questions I was hoping to get answered:

1. Do I also need to purchase the lining fabric or will the sifu provide this?
2. Do the sifu also perform alterations on off the rack suits? If so, roughly what do they charge?

1. Most good ones usually provide japanese bemberg lining.
2. You need to ask the sifu, none of us can answer for them.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Also, just to reiterate a question, do the sifu make bespoke or MTM. I know that the process is called CMT but do they start from scratch or start from a template?

BaoTou are the tailors behind tailor shops, they make suits from scratch, ie. bespoke, not MTM. All BaoTou do the same thing, fused and full canvas, in Mirador and outside Mirador. This is an example of a BaoTou drawing on the fabric before he cuts the fabric. This is a part of cutting before fitting, and it proves this is making a suit from scratch, not MTM. You can ask your BaoTou to cut your fabric in front of you.

Last edited:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BaoTou are the tailors behind tailor shops, they make suits from scratch, ie. bespoke not MTM. All BaoTou do the same thing, fused or full canvas, in Mirador or outside Mirador. This is an example of a BaoTou drawing the fabric before he cuts the fabric. This is a part of cutting before fitting, and it proves this is making a suit from scratch, not MTM. You can ask your BaoTou to cut your fabric in front of you.

Love this guy, but too bad he isn't in HK! There are also several reviews of Ng Sifu on this thread.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
Love this guy, but too bad he isn't in HK! There are also several reviews of Ng Sifu on this thread.

There are a few more BaoTou working in HK now. They are ex inhouse tailors and baotou of most expensive bespokes in HK.

If you are in a hurry, talk to other BaoTou in HK. I heard they can make a suit in about 4 weeks in this kind of period (made in Shenzhen). They do the cutting and fitting in HK, their labour do the jobs in Shenzhen, only the fabrics are going through the border.

I guess Ng will come back in March.

Last edited:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few more BaoTou working in HK now. They are ex inhouse tailors and baotou of most expensive bespokes in HK.

If you are in a hurry, talk to other BaoTou in HK. They told me they can make a suit in about 4 weeks in this kind of period (made in Shenzhen). They do the cutting and fitting in HK, their labour do the jobs in Shenzhen, only the fabrics are going through the border.

I guess Ng will come back in March.

I won't be coming back to Hong Kong until April-ish, so I'll see how the situation plays out. might have a friend of mine on the ground get some fabrics for me...

thesupremegrape

Reaction score
Could someone offer some fabric suggestions for me?

Things to consider: I live in the UK and want a versatile suit hat can range from 5-20 degrees.

Preferably a British brand (solely because it's probably cheaper in the UK. If not I'm open to others)

This is from my first suit so not looking to spend more than $1500 HKD total for the fabric

I'm looking for something in a mid-navy colour (not too dark)

Not too fussy about super count, but if I could get a decent number that would be nice (ideal would be super 160, though I understand this may not be possible)

Thanks guys!

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound like a d**k and immature move, but you could probably go into any of the dozens of tailor shops in the UK... ask to look at fabric, and then sit for hours to find the fabric you want... not like you're obligated to get a suit just because you browse fabrics.

thesupremegrape

Reaction score
I know this may sound like a d**k and immature move, but you could probably go into any of the dozens of tailor shops in the UK... ask to look at fabric, and then sit for hours to find the fabric you want... not like you're obligated to get a suit just because you browse fabrics.

Didnt even think of that. Perhaps not the most ethical, but might be a possibility.

Nara_Deer

Reaction score
Could someone offer some fabric suggestions for me?

Things to consider: I live in the UK and want a versatile suit hat can range from 5-20 degrees.

Preferably a British brand (solely because it's probably cheaper in the UK. If not I'm open to others)

This is from my first suit so not looking to spend more than $1500 HKD total for the fabric

I'm looking for something in a mid-navy colour (not too dark)

Not too fussy about super count, but if I could get a decent number that would be nice (ideal would be super 160, though I understand this may not be possible)

Thanks guys!

I have been browsing Yorkshire Fabric (mentioned in the blog) these couple of days and I think they offer quite a good variety of fabrics. It can be difficult to find one suit that can handle most of the days throughout the year. As UK have a comparatively cool climate, I would recommend something around 310-340gsm and wear an overcoat in the winter.

An example below:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost all of my suits are four seasons 240 - 270/280g, I'm also looking to get something a bit heavier like flannel perhaps for winter. Holland and Sherry has their entire catalogue online on their website, I guess that's a good place to start. Can anyone in the UK purchase cut lengths at a better price than what's available in HK???

Memo

Reaction score
Almost all of my suits are four seasons 240 - 270/280g, I'm also looking to get something a bit heavier like flannel perhaps for winter. Holland and Sherry has their entire catalogue online on their website, I guess that's a good place to start. Can anyone in the UK purchase cut lengths at a better price than what's available in HK???
On flannel, I have to say the stuff from Harrisons Burley (£24/m) is very nice and robust.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just heard from my sales rep that my particular factory/workshop in mainland won't be back to production until at least March 10th :(

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've taken a look at both Harrisons and Yorkshire, some good pieces here and there. Wish they had a bigger selection though, heh.

Anyone here have experience with Wool and Silk blends for suiting? How's it feel / holding up in your suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads