• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hong Kong BaoTou Tailors and Fabric Shops for CMT Thread

ksl0588

Reaction score
@ksl0588,

Mirador Mansion in TST is the center of baotou for suit and baotou for shirt. They are all making suits and shirts for tailor shops in HK. My blog tells a few only, there are a lot more.

There are too many baotou for shirt, they explained to me there are 2 grades of workmanship:
1) HK$300+/pc.
2) between HK$130/pc and HK$200/pc.

For between HK$130/pc and HK$200/pc, they are all about the same grade. By looking at the workmanship and details, I don't see much difference for those between HK$130/pc and HK$150/pc. In this same grade, picking the right fabric shows more differences.

It usually takes about a week to make a shirt, or not more than 10 days. This is the usual practice for me, I pick one baotou to make one shirt, if everything is fine, I order more. If I don't like it for whatever reason, I go another baotou. There are small differences for cutting. My suggestion is to pick whoever you prefer from the same grade baotou, you might try a few to see which one suit you most.

I see the quality of HK$130/pc is acceptable, therefore, I don't need to order HK$300+/pc.

-------------------

#1,918
For British brand name suit fabrics at regular price (full range),
local shops: Golden Circle, Linking, K.C. Lee, Samuel Chen, Kwong Hing, etc.
Thank you. So I just go to Mirador Mansions in TST and look for any tailor there that I prefer? Do they provide both the fabric and labor? Or do I need to purchase fabric elsewhere and bring it to them to make the shirt?

Also, can you recommend any tailor specifically that I can visit?

alex20000

Reaction score
Thank you. So I just go to Mirador Mansions in TST and look for any tailor there that I prefer? Do they provide both the fabric and labor? Or do I need to purchase fabric elsewhere and bring it to them to make the shirt?

Have a look at his previous replies on this forum, should answer everything (and you’ll also be able to predict his response).

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@ksl0588,

#1,909 explained.
1) labour cost: workmanship to make shirts, HK130/shirt (there are loaded of baotou tailors in Mirador Mansion charging between HK$130/shirt and HK$150/shirt)
2) fabric cost: fabric to make shirts, HK$170 (HK$95/yard X 1.8yard). e.g. I am 5 foot 10 (1.78m) ordinary body, I need 1.8yard for a shirt. How many yard you need to make one shirt? depending on your height and size. You need to talk to your baotou to confirm how many yard you need for 1 shirt.

Most baotou tailors don't provide shirt fabric, you have to buy your fabric someplace else. My blogs shows many baotou tailors in Mirador Mansion in TST, and it shows many fabric shops in TST. My blogs tells a few only, there are too many my blogs haven't recommended. You pick whatever you prefer, there are too many to choose from.

Baotou tailors and fabric shops are moving around (upstairs and downstairs) every few years, you need to call them to confirm their address before you go.

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score

Go get your own lengths. Your need decides what you buy but just stay away from the pricy ones for your first few shirts until you feel comfortable getting more shirts from the same guy. Usually peopleswear by Wong MH but I find Ma on 12/F (made shirts for Prologue at one point iirc) to be a good bang for the buck.

Since you may also be referring to suit tailors...
1. I guess most charge 2.5up now for a full canvas 2-piece suit these days. If you're not crazy into details / getting one for work and do not care about handmade whatever, just go with whomever pretty much but make sure they do at least two fittings with you. Spoiler: some don't.
2. Keep black and white written / text records of your requirements, and if one rejects, go find someone else, shirt or suit.
3. Get someone to go to the sessions with you for suits; extra pair of eyes saves you headaches esp when the sifu tries to cut slacks and not own up to issues (wrong pockets, bad sleeve attachment, etc etc).

ksl0588

Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations. I might just buy fabric in the TST stores mentioned by HkPeking blog post then have the labor done in my country when I fly back.

Is there a specific fabric store that you visit often/can recommend that sells reasonably priced fabric of good quality? Yes I am a starter in buying fabric and would want to start as low as possible but without sacrificing quality.

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@ksl0588,

There are over 10k rolls of shirt cotton selling by more than 50 fabric shops in HK. All big fabric shops have too many different shirt cotton at different price. Some have and some don't have catalog to choose. French cotton, British cotton, India cotton, China cotton, Japanese cotton, etc. Oxford cotton, thick cotton, soft cotton, summer cotton, formal shirt cotton, 100s, 120s, 130s, plain white, light blue, square, ... what do you need?

In most cases, price tells their quaility. Different people have different definition of quaility. This is the usual practice, we tell the price, the color, and the type of shirt cotton when we go to a fabric shop and hand feel the fabrics before we buy it.

You don't know what you need, you will forget the hand feel, and there are too many to choose from. They can't take out 100 roll for your hand feel test. You might be confused of what you need after 2 hours of hand feel the fabrics.

You pick whatever you prefer, pay cash and go wherever you want to have your shirt made. You can have your shirt made in your home country.

If you don't know what you need, you better go to a tailor shop, and have the sales people to do everything for you. CMT is usually for those who know what they need, and they have to do research before they go pick their fabrics and baotou.

Last edited:

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendations. I might just buy fabric in the TST stores mentioned by HkPeking blog post then have the labor done in my country when I fly back.

Is there a specific fabric store that you visit often/can recommend that sells reasonably priced fabric of good quality? Yes I am a starter in buying fabric and would want to start as low as possible but without sacrificing quality.
What do you look for in fabrics? Breathability, hand, something else? Perhaps knowing the priorities would make for an easy search.

If you no longer *have to* buy things in HK to get things made over there, Libas / India might be a good starting point. I'm pretty sure I've heard of Monti India and Soktas India too so you night want to Google that up.

Hope this helps

ksl0588

Reaction score
I’m looking at “work horse” types of fabrics/designs for my shirt so it is more on the subtle/conservative side since I’m planning to make them all short-sleeve shirts.

For the design here are some of my pegs, if you notice they are the more generic designs like stripes, gingham, checks, etc. but I am open to other designs as well.

IMG_0530.jpeg IMG_0531.jpeg IMG_0532.jpeg IMG_0533.jpeg IMG_0534.jpeg IMG_0535.jpeg IMG_0536.jpeg

When it comes to the material, I am not familiar with the different kinds like lets say egyptian cotton, pima, poplin etc. but I prefer something sturdy enough that will last for a good amount of time assuming I will be wearing them once every two weeks or so.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
I’m looking at “work horse” types of fabrics/designs for my shirt so it is more on the subtle/conservative side since I’m planning to make them all short-sleeve shirts.

For the design here are some of my pegs, if you notice they are the more generic designs like stripes, gingham, checks, etc. but I am open to other designs as well.

View attachment 2031733 View attachment 2031735 View attachment 2031737 View attachment 2031739 View attachment 2031741 View attachment 2031743 View attachment 2031745

When it comes to the material, I am not familiar with the different kinds like lets say egyptian cotton, pima, poplin etc. but I prefer something sturdy enough that will last for a good amount of time assuming I will be wearing them once every two weeks or so.
Acorn oxfords.

The irony with saving money is that sometimes your fabric gets rejected because the quality is not good enough. Think smooth-ish low-end fabrics; it's just chemical finishing.

Last edited:

PocketJack

Reaction score

View attachment 2031733 View attachment 2031735 View attachment 2031737 View attachment 2031739 View attachment 2031741 View attachment 2031743 View attachment 2031745

Agree with WB. Oxford is the best choice of fabric in terms of durability, stay away from herringbone if you look for workhorse shirt.
Egyptian cotton and Pima cotton are decent cotton fabric. Giza is even better (more expensive).
Poplin is one of the weave styles. You may find more detail at below link:

PekingRoadHK

Reaction score
@ksl0588,

If you intend to buy fabric and have your tailor in your home country to make your shirt, why not buy your fabric online?
This one sells high grade shirt fabric online, and they have a retail shop in HK. They sell high grade shirt cotton to many bespoke world-wide, e.g. top brands of British cotton, Italian cotton, Egyptian cotton, etc. You should expect higher fabric cost from this one, and they can answer you all questions about shirt cotton: https://www.albinigroup.com/en/

Wong MH sifu is on the top ranking of shirt making in Mirador Mansion TST. He is charging HK$300+/shirt (labour cost), higher price than the rest in Mirador Mansion. He has limited choice of Thomas Mason shirt fabric.

#1,909 is an example of budget shirt making with Indian cotton (not Egyptian cotton), ie. HK$300/shirt (fabric cost + labour cost). You want high grade shirt cotton, you should expect at least HK$1k+/shirt (fabric cost + labour cost). Price tells quality.

Your photos of #1,928 shows different patterns, nothing related to quality. All kinds of cotton offers all kinds of patterns (stripes, gingham, checks) and structures (oxford, herringbone, poplin, twill, chambray, denim), e.g. Indian cotton, China cotton, Japanese cotton, Egyptian cotton, British cotton, etc.

In case of oxford cotton or denim cotton, Indian cotton and China cotton can be sturdy enough.

If patterns/designs is your only concern, all kinds of cotton is right for you: Indian cotton, China cotton, Japanese cotton, Egyptian cotton, British cotton, etc. Just pick the right designs!

Understand your needs first!

Last edited:

ksl0588

Reaction score
@ksl0588,

If you intend to buy fabric and have your tailor in your home country to make your shirt, why not buy your fabric online?
This one sells high grade shirt fabric online, and they have a retail shop in HK. They sell high grade shirt cotton to many bespoke world-wide, e.g. top brands of British cotton, Italian cotton, Egyptian cotton, etc. You should expect higher fabric cost from this one, and they can answer you all questions about shirt cotton: https://www.albinigroup.com/en/

Wong MH sifu is on the top ranking of shirt making in Mirador Mansion TST. He is charging HK$300+/shirt (labour cost), higher price than the rest in Mirador Mansion. He has limited choice of Thomas Mason shirt fabric.

#1,909 is an example of budget shirt making with Indian cotton (not Egyptian cotton), ie. HK$300/shirt (fabric cost + labour cost). You want high grade shirt cotton, you should expect at least HK$1k+/shirt (fabric cost + labour cost). Price tells quality.

Your photos of #1,928 shows different patterns, nothing related to quality. All kinds of cotton offers all kinds of patterns (stripes, gingham, checks) and structures (oxford, herringbone, poplin, twill, chambray, denim), e.g. Indian cotton, China cotton, Japanese cotton, Egyptian cotton, British cotton, etc.

In case of oxford cotton or denim cotton, Indian cotton and China cotton can be sturdy enough.

If patterns/designs is your only concern, all kinds of cotton is right for you: Indian cotton, China cotton, Japanese cotton, Egyptian cotton, British cotton, etc. Just pick the right designs!

Understand your needs first!

HK$300 labor + fabric is a good budget for me to start with. And Indian might be a good starting point for me for a work horse shirt collection. Could you recommend a reputable fabric supplier online where I can purchase per yard?

ksl0588

Reaction score
Agree with WB. Oxford is the best choice of fabric in terms of durability, stay away from herringbone if you look for workhorse shirt.
Egyptian cotton and Pima cotton are decent cotton fabric. Giza is even better (more expensive).
Poplin is one of the weave styles. You may find more detail at below link:
Thank you for this tip

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads