• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bah! Two year old ceiling fan in our ramada seems to have crapped out. The light still works but the fan doesn't. I wonder if it's just a capacitor?
You didn't hire some poor people to fan you with palm leaves as you walk around? Pleb.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Who wants teh poorz around when you're eating? Don't they smell?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Anyone ever live across the street to a school (elementary school)? Did you mind it?

For 15 years, and I ******* hated it. The playground noise, the traffic. I work from home and they drove me bonkers. We moved to get away from it and swore to never live on a block with a school again.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son had some foot issues that kept his walking limited to a couple of blocks when he was younger. If I had known what dealing with those soccer moms in their fuckin' mini vans would be like I woulda' put him up for adoption or home schooled him.

emptym

Reaction score
I grew up next to a high school and around the block from a grade school. It was mostly good. Traffic wasn't too bad. But I have seen schools where it's crazy. Depends on how big the school is, what percentage drives, and the how they manage pick up and drop off. Imo, the best is when there's a long driveway with traffic flowing in one direction and plenty of parking, and the worst is when people double park to drop off or pick up.

Walking to school is ideal imo. I did that as a kid, except for junior high. And we made sure we got a house a few blocks from our kids' school. I'm actually thinking of moving close to whatever high school they go to, but probably won't. I hate car commutes.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They just built a CSTEM magnet school about five miles from me. Mainly affluent retirees live there and it used to be quite sleepy in the area. Man, the things those people post on nextdoor.com since the school opened in August. They are not happy about the traffic in the least.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I occasionally read it just for the schadenfreude.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I grew up next to a high school and around the block from a grade school. It was mostly good. Traffic wasn't too bad. But I have seen schools where it's crazy. Depends on how big the school is, what percentage drives, and the how they manage pick up and drop off. Imo, the best is when there's a long driveway with traffic flowing in one direction and plenty of parking, and the worst is when people double park to drop off or pick up.

Walking to school is ideal imo. I did that as a kid, except for junior high. And we made sure we got a house a few blocks from our kids' school. I'm actually thinking of moving close to whatever high school they go to, but probably won't. I hate car commutes.

Pro Tip: move to Boulder. Anything within 40 miles is considered cycling distance.

brokencycle

Reaction score
A previous HOA president "generously" donated $500 to help fund some minor HOA landscaping project that has been promised since we moved in.

Turns out his kid's landscaping company just replaced the landscaping company that does all the maintenance and will presumably get the contract to do this work.

I'm sure these are coincidences, right?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Fiduciary responsibilities are a real thing. That's pretty much grounds for a forced resignation.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Fiduciary responsibilities are a real thing. That's pretty much grounds for a forced resignation.

Meh, I figure I'll be a year or two more tops. If my dumbass neighbors who have allowed this kind of **** to happen for 20 years are okay with it, why should I help them?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, I figure I'll be a year or two more tops. If my dumbass neighbors who have allowed this kind of **** to happen for 20 years are okay with it, why should I help them?
I kind of feel like this about society as a whole.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I grew up in the third house up on a street that intersects the bigger street where an elementary school was located.

Pretty good if you ask me. I got to walk to school and have easy access to the school yard/playground on non school days.

The bigger (but still only 1 lane in each direction) street could handle the traffic and because of the layout, our street didn't really get any extra.

Playgrounds, parking lot, and stuff are in the back side, so there wasn't any extra noise.

The houses that backed up directly to a fence on the side of the playground? That could be annoying.

High school (and maybe middle school) also seems like it would be much more annoying.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I live about three streets over from a high school. I can hear the loud speakers on football game days. The city had to start enforcing no-parking rules on the local streets or the kids packed them on weekdays. Other than that, hasn't been a big deal. I wouldn't want to back right up to it though. Egress is well designed, the school has its own streets and everything.

My previous place was about as far from a different high school, but you had to go right by it to exit the neighborhood. It could be a real pain **********. Have to wait for dozens of buses to go in or out to leave, could add a half hour to your commute if you got the timing wrong in the morning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics