• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually hoping it’s been fixed. Plumbers came out this week while we were away. Won’t be able to tell until I get back and can check the meter.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What's the home ownership rate in places South Africa and France? Is the homeownership thing just a US phenomena?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the home ownership rate in places South Africa and France? Is the homeownership thing just a US phenomena?

I read a book over 20 years ago about Latin American economic development that, iirc, argued that lack of individual land ownership, and homesteads, was a big reason it fell behind the US. I don't remember how persuasive it was, although it was part of an international economics class I took at the most prestigious university in Waco.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
And we all know how well homesteading ended up in the 90s in Waco...

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read a book over 20 years ago about Latin American economic development that, iirc, argued that lack of individual land ownership, and homesteads, was a big reason it fell behind the US. I don't remember how persuasive it was, although it was part of an international economics class I took at the most prestigious university in Waco.
McLennan Community College? or did you go to Texas State Technical College?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

About 65%

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So pretty much the same as the US.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So pretty much the same as the US.

I was just reading about this. In countries without Property Registers or a lot of hurdles to pass such as number of years it takes to transfer property, ownership can be quite low. It usually takes the government quite a while to turn this around

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Demo started today on our back-to-back bathroom remodels. Living through construction is always hell, but at least we're underway now.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In case anyone has been itching for money pit updates:

I knew I had a humidity/moisture problem in the addition that is technically the master suite. We don't use it as a master suite, so we've kept the doors shut. Turns out it's worse than expected. We had some linens and pillows in the closet that are ruined by mold, and there was mold on the walls of the bathroom (which luckily wiped right off with Clorox spray).

Part of the problem is that this is on the other side of the house from the air handler, so it's not really getting enough conditioned air (especially the closet and bathroom). We kept the doors shut to keep pets out, so the temporary solution is to buy a new pet gate and keep the doors open for more HVAC airflow.

The other part of the problem is the negative patio grade is at its worst right there, so water is flowing into the foundation wall. (That's probably the biggest problem.)

Both of these were things we knew we needed to address. We were going to gut the addition anyway. This might just move up the timeline.

brokencycle

Reaction score
In case anyone has been itching for money pit updates:

I knew I had a humidity/moisture problem in the addition that is technically the master suite. We don't use it as a master suite, so we've kept the doors shut. Turns out it's worse than expected. We had some linens and pillows in the closet that are ruined by mold, and there was mold on the walls of the bathroom (which luckily wiped right off with Clorox spray).

Part of the problem is that this is on the other side of the house from the air handler, so it's not really getting enough conditioned air (especially the closet and bathroom). We kept the doors shut to keep pets out, so the temporary solution is to buy a new pet gate and keep the doors open for more HVAC airflow.

The other part of the problem is the negative patio grade is at its worst right there, so water is flowing into the foundation wall. (That's probably the biggest problem.)

Both of these were things we knew we needed to address. We were going to gut the addition anyway. This might just move up the timeline.

If you're not 'getting enough conditioned air' on the opposite side of the house, your system is either not sized right or has a leak. We have a walk in closet on the opposite side without its own register, and the door is closed 24x7. It is warmer than the rest of the house, but there is no moisture.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd think surface runoff ==> wet crawlspace / footing could well contribute

veen have you figured out how you are going to deal with the grade ? iirc this was a known thing ...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the negative patio grade is at its worst right there, so water is flowing into the foundation wall. (That's probably the biggest problem.)
As an architect I highly recommend you fix this. Also consider getting a dehumidifier.

Our place in San Diego has had a mold problem. As we are away for long periods, leaving a few of the covered windows slightly ajar (for air flow) and using a dehumidifier has solved it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads