• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How weird is it for a ceiling fan to be connected to 2 different circuits?

The switched wire for the light goes to a different breaker than the always-on wire for the fan motor.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The switched wire for the light goes to a different breaker than the always-on wire for the fan motor.
Sounds like

FE8y.gif

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean.....sure, you can do it this way.

If you like electrocuting unsuspecting owners after you.

Seriously though, you can do that per NEC, but really, it is just an asshole thing to do in my opinion unless it's labeled and marked. .my assumption is it was done that way due to ease of running wire from existing fixtures. In other words, pure laziness

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love how they imply how it can be used for a car collection when there doesn’t seem to be any way to get a car inside
Hotwheels or those diecast car models can easily fit through that door.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Our house had two rooms that had that: one switch for fan light, one for fan motor (so not direct wired always on). In fact, one has the light on a 3 way and the motor only at one location. When we renovated, the electrician insisted on putting two switches for each fan despite the fact that all the fans we bought don't have separate wiring for lights and motors.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean.....sure, you can do it this way.

If you like electrocuting unsuspecting owners after you.

Seriously though, you can do that per NEC, but really, it is just an asshole thing to do in my opinion unless it's labeled and marked. .my assumption is it was done that way due to ease of running wire from existing fixtures. In other words, pure laziness
Well, luckily I remembered when reinstalling this fan that I shocked myself when removing it 6-7 years ago to install a pendant lamp (that is moving with me hence the fan going back up)...

So I tested the mystery wire before uncapping it and stripping a fresh end...hot.

But this is a concrete building...I don't see how this could be easy... It's not like there are wires floating around in an open attic. There is a small junction box embedded in the concrete ceiling and then the wires must come through conduit. Where the fuck did someone even find another circuit to tap into? There's no outlets on the wall with the switch either.

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, luckily I remembered when reinstalling this fan that I shocked myself when removing it 6-7 years ago to install a pendant lamp (that is moving with me hence the fan going back up)...

So I tested the mystery wire before uncapping it and stripping a fresh end...hot.

But this is a concrete building...I don't see how this could be easy... It's not like there are wires floating around in an open attic. There is a small junction box embedded in the concrete ceiling and then the wires must come through conduit. Where the fuck did someone even find another circuit to tap into? There's no outlets on the wall with the switch either.
That is super weird then. I mean super strange why not run dedicated power off the hot side of the existing switch. Really strange. Glad you remembered. I found some hot wires the other day by cutting I to them and arcing my cutters. Good times

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just left a note in the breaker box...but to keep the mystery alive, I just said the motor is on a different circuit, but didn't tell them which.

Actually, that's because I don't know which one it is on. After finding it was hot, I just flipped every breaker for the whole apartment and now I'm too lazy to go one-by-one to figure it out.

Marc Voorhees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's because I don't know which one it is on. After finding it was hot, I just flipped every breaker for the whole apartment and now I'm too lazy to go one-by-one to figure it out.
This is Peak Styleforum Home Improvement thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Our house had two rooms that had that: one switch for fan light, one for fan motor (so not direct wired always on). In fact, one has the light on a 3 way and the motor only at one location. When we renovated, the electrician insisted on putting two switches for each fan despite the fact that all the fans we bought don't have separate wiring for lights and motors.
i wonder if that's not to prevent a breaker trip when both fan n light are turned on ? is there still a single master switch on the wall ?

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i wonder if that's not to prevent a breaker trip when both fan n light are turned on ? is there still a single master switch on the wall ?
Why having two switches? The electrician said it is for convenience so you can leave both the light and fan on and then just control with the wall switch. That totally makes sense, except, in our case, the fans don't have the ability to be separately wired.

Energy wise, I can't see how any modern fan could trip a circuit. If you're buying a new fan, it should really be a DC motor. As an example, the new fan motors draw 3-30W and move 2000-6000 cubic feet of air/minute. Contrast that with your contractor special fan at Home Depot that is 15-70W and moves <2000-3000 cubic feet of air/minute.

On the light side, at most the cheap fans are supporting 3x 60W bulbs, so you'd be at ~250W with the fan motor which should be ~2A and well under the 15A circuit limit.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.