• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned earlier about the enjoyment of a fire pit. Here in Santa Fe, many homes have kiva fireplaces built on to their covered patios. The smell of burning Pinon wood is especially nice. Our home doesn't have one, but when we first arrived and rented a home it had this set up which was very enjoyable. For our next construction project, we want to add something similar to this but with simple, contemporary angles to match the rest of the house.

IMG_4339.jpg

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The local housing market is absolutely bonkers. About 40% of the typical inventory, selling over asking, selling within a week. Lots of folks fleeing SF and LA as well as people finally taking the plunge and buying their second home.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine just locked in 30 years @2.75%. Mind boggling.

BofA actually offers 2.625% for a 30 year via relationship mortgage (500k in Merril Edge and/of BofA accounts, 250 bps discount). Or knock of 375 basis pt if you move over a cool 3 million

Last edited:

Joytropics

Reaction score
Title companies have a nice little scam going, don’t they?

They shuffle some paperwork and charge me $2k, knowing I won’t be able to deal with it when making a huge purchase.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Title companies have a nice little scam going, don’t they?

They shuffle some paperwork and charge me $2k, knowing I won’t be able to deal with it when making a huge purchase.

My wife is a real estate attorney and has done residential. It isn't quite that simple. Title companies actually have pretty low margins. Title insurance, however, has one of the lowest payouts of any insurance type.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife is a real estate attorney and has done residential. It isn't quite that simple. Title companies actually have pretty low margins. Title insurance, however, has one of the lowest payouts of any insurance type.
And yet when it works its amazing. Our old place we had city sidewalk replacement and we sort of forgot about the assessment payment. Sold the house and boom, title insurance paid for that sidewalk work because no one knew (even us) that there was an outstanding payment.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So we are a week on the market and have had quite a bit of interest. We priced maybe a little high but that was my wife’s choice. If we cut 3-4% we would get to the price I wanted to price at and what I think will sell at.

Also we went with a fixed price agent and there were 3 price tiers. We went with the mid-range which will save like $17K when all is said and done. While that pricing is nice, using them on the buy side is weird as they demand a 3% commission. Weird you want to be fixed fee for selling them demand 3% on the buy side.

brokencycle

Reaction score
So we are a week on the market and have had quite a bit of interest. We priced maybe a little high but that was my wife’s choice. If we cut 3-4% we would get to the price I wanted to price at and what I think will sell at.

Also we went with a fixed price agent and there were 3 price tiers. We went with the mid-range which will save like $17K when all is said and done. While that pricing is nice, using them on the buy side is weird as they demand a 3% commission. Weird you want to be fixed fee for selling them demand 3% on the buy side.

That is quite odd. What was different on the fixed pricing tiers? Did you go with a local group, through an internet company like Redfin, or a national agency?

I thinks it’s been oft cited around here that you typically end up with a higher price when starting high and then reducing, something like that’s typically what RE agents do when selling their own homes

Yes, per Zillow, female agents on average overprice and negotiate down resulting in a slightly higher overall price. Agents tend to make about 1-2% more on their own houses, but they take longer to sell. Makes sense because they get to pocket that 1-2% on their own house, but a 1% increase on their commission isn't meaningful compared to being able to do more deals.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads