• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm going to make the case to my building's board (where I'm the VP) that the building needs to pay to replace the fences on the PH decks that they ripped out to redo the roof. They feel no. I feel (as one the units is mine) yes.

They got a ****** legal opinion to support their claim. I think this needs a legal judgement.

I expect to no longer be VP tomorrow.

lefty

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spent all day yesterday waiting for an electrician to rewire a cabin. He didn't show. This was after I gave him three weeks of work last year.

Got home and am now trying to order a sprayer hose for my Dornbracht faucet. Don't want to pay the stupid price. @Numbernine Are 3/8" sprayer hoses universal?

lefty
From the pictures I'm seeing on line I would have to say no.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I only know of one property owner that our HOA has ever taken action against. He's a douche-bag, a dentist by trade, and got what he deserved. He and his wife are also never invited to neighborhood gatherings as they really are just horrible people.

I've said this here before, we've done two major projects on the backyard, and it was as simple as filling out a single page form, submitting the drawings, and approved in under a week. Very easy to deal with and they also take care of things like keeping the streets in good condition, gate maintenance, common area landscaping, etc.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a major asshole in our HOA. He went around telling residents he was the president of the HOA (he wasn't) and that their Christmas lights were not compliant (they were).

His last name is, no ****, Diamond.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I also think CC&Rs are best when they address broad and more permanent issues. Xmas lights is a bit picayune, IMO, although I do grant I've seen some pretty horrid displays in my life.

The biggest run in we've had with our HOA was when we submitted the approval form and drawings for our kitchen/cantina project. They were brash enough to ask two whole questions! How far from the lot line and was the roof going to match/compliment the existing home? Bastards!

brokencycle

Reaction score
The HOA doesn't manage **** where I live. The city maintains the roads and sidewalks, as an example. Basically, they manage the pond and the entrance sign.

An even more stupid thing is that there are a dozen or two houses that are not in the HOA (out of about 100), so they don't have to follow any of the rules. Our house shouldn't be in the HOA, but I think they bribed/lied to the the old lady, who owned the house before us, to join because we're squarely in the section that isn't in the HOA.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We're behind a gate which means the streets in our development are private roads and it's up to us to maintain them. That's another reason for an HOA; imagine trying to get 80'ish households to agree to keep up the streets through equal contributions. If the roads are private a central authority with assessment privileges is the only way to get that done. We also have a very good association management company and have over $1 million in reserves and a published and regularly updated CapX plan. No special assessment in our foreseeable future.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Somehow google knows I read this thread, because it suggested this fun HOA video on the youtube.

TLDR: the HOA for some ****** townhouses hired a lawyer to suit a guy for parking his ugly truck in the driveway under the frivolous theory that missing paint constituted "moderate body damage."

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Missouri is certainly a sample universe I want to be part of.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All that stuff used to be standard now everything is proprietary.

The Apple model: once you're invested they have you forever.

Now I have to navigate the useless Dornbracht site to try and find the only guy who knows the part number and get him to ship it. I can see how this will go ...

"$165!"
"Yes, sir."
"You know, for an $1100 faucet I would have thought you'd overnight it to me with an apology."
"Overnight shipping is $75. sir."

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads