• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The old house on our property will finally be coming down next week. Should have been done last year, and the local planning officer was getting a bit shirty with us about the fact that it wasn't. We were trying to get it carefully deconstructed for maximum re-use of materials but it seems no-one wants to to do that, so apart from taking the doors and windows out first, the demolition firm will just smash, remove, and then do some limited sorting.

The only question remaining is what we do with the hole that is currently the basement of the old place... it's dynamited into the bedrock so it's as solid as can be, but it's also very wet because it's below the water table. But that's a question we'll have to work out while we're away (we'll be gone for 5 1/2 months from the beginning of August).

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just found a baldfaced hornet nest way up on the topmost eave of the house. That's going to be fun to get rid of.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just found a baldfaced hornet nest way up on the topmost eave of the house. That's going to be fun to get rid of.

elon-musk-flamethrower.jpg

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Congrats.

Had two PTAC units replaced and four serviced yesterday. When the guy asked me where the last one was I said, "masterbath."
"No, really."
"Yes, masterbath."
He couldn't believe his eyes and called in his partner from the truck to marvel at a PTAC unit in a bathroom.
"In all my years, I've never seen one in a bathroom."

When I sell this place I know what the first thing on the spec sheet will be.

Woke up this morning to a leaking wand hose in my kitchen sink. Never heard of one of those failing but if I take off the sprayer head the water flows out easily, however once I put it back on, the pressure seems to be pushing water out the sides of the hose and it's running down and dumping on the floor. Should be an easy fix but for the enormous disposal that takes up all the room under the sink.

Fun times.

lefty

brokencycle

Reaction score

I was stung 10 times by paper wasps after entering my shed where they had made a nest on the inside door. Thankfully I'm not allergic, but I immediately got the can of Raid that sprays like 20 feet and went to town.

Brokencycle circa 2014, colorized

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hornets like to try and build nests on the two ceiling fire sprinklers in our back patio. That Raid Hotshot thing is awesome.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yay! Another problem with my ****** rental! Water damage in the ceiling underneath the master bathroom shower.

As much as I don't want to move, I'm seriously considering breaking the lease and getting TF out.

brokencycle

Reaction score
A credit union I'm a member of has a 12 year fixed mortgage for 3% interest right now with closing costs of <$1000. It would increase my payment a fair amount seeing I'm at 27.5 years left on my mortgage. I could afford it, and the break even is <1 year. Really tempting.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
FIRE says, "Yes." Wait, what am I saying? Actually, FIRE says to leverage your house the hilt and invest it. I say think hard about flexibility. You can always put extra down every month but keep your monthly nut lower in case of income or expense shocks.

brokencycle

Reaction score
FIRE says, "Yes." Wait, what am I saying? Actually, FIRE says to leverage your house the hilt and invest it. I say think hard about flexibility. You can always put extra down every month but keep your monthly nut lower in case of income or expense shocks.

But 5/8 of a point makes a big difference.

Related, I don't understand why ARMs are more expensive right now than fixed. Why would I take an ARM at a higher rate when they move rate change risk to me? I guess, in theory, they could come down, but the fed can't lower rates that much more.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But 5/8 of a point makes a big difference.

Related, I don't understand why ARMs are more expensive right now than fixed. Why would I take an ARM at a higher rate when they move rate change risk to me? I guess, in theory, they could come down, but the fed can't lower rates that much more.

Are the terms the same? The CUs I've been looking at, the max fixed rate is 20 years, but all the ARMs are all 30-year term with the rate changing every 5 years. The best ARM rate (80% LTV) is only slightly more than the best 10-year fixed rate (90% LTV), and much cheaper than 20-year fixed.

Also (I know this is obvious) remember that the amount you're financing decreases over the life of the loan, especially if you are paying extra, so the effects of rate increases later in the loan can be mitigated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads