1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Ouch. Piob don't have that kind of money. My ramada? Looking about 55k and it's going to be about 900 square feet! To include all the equipment too, i.e. grill, side burners, beverage station, etc.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  3. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Same. 1950s houses ftw!

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Painters left about an hour ago. We went a bit bold with the colors, but it's San Francisco, not some gated HOA community in suburban Houston, dammit. I'm digging it. Interior will have to wait a couple weeks, though, because a delay in getting started means they backed into our having guests.

3 people like this.
  5. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Where do you live to get charged so much?

6. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Mr Castorini-ville

7. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Nashville. I also live in an area of town where contractors likely up charge.

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I think that's the dude's way of telling you he doesn't want the job.

3 people like this.
  9. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Indeed

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

That price doesn't even dignify a response.

11. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Thats crazy - I think of the south as a place where you can still get a relative deal on competent tradeswork.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Nashville turned into an "It city" after Austin. It is the current bachelorette party capital of the US so people from all over come to visit then decide to move here. We have benefited from this when selling our last house and buying our current house. New builds in my neighborhood typically sell for $1.5 million and up while the older homes sit in the $500K-$1.0M range depending on square footage.

We get shafted by businesses without a standard price list so expanded my network to get to know people is a must. I have a few people asking around for some tile and drywall guys as that is all I really need. I have an electrician/plumber, just need these other items. Hopefully tile guy can install heated floors, otherwise we will end up with another fan/heater/light unit in the ceiling which is lour and ugly but makes my wife happy.

1 person likes this.
  13. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

My understanding is that it's pretty simple to do, I bet you find a tile setter than will do it.

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I recently put in a heated floor myself. It was really easy. There is a little bit of electrical involved (or more depending on how big the room is), but it's pretty rudimentary.

If you're on a second floor you have to install a decoupling membrane between the floor and the tile anyway. They make them with a grid that's designed to hold the floor heating wires so you don't need to tape the wires down and put a separate leveling layer of mortar over them.

IIRC the material cost for ~70 sq ft (thermostat, membrane, wire) was about $300. Maybe a little more.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    3 people like this.
  15. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Good to know. I was looking into it for a bathroom and it seemed pretty straightforward if you're comfortable with basic electrical work.

16. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

There's a utility guy out in the street right now. The pace these guys work is astonishing, it's seems impossible to move that slowly intentionally.

17. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The heating cables don't require a lot of amps -- IIRC the ones I put down were less than 400 watts at 120vs. My house, like most houses these days, has a lot of excess capacity in the lighting circuits, so I just borrowed the hot from a light switch. The thermostat runs off 120v and has a GFI built in. It installs in a wall box that I put above the light switch. Very straightforward.

If you were doing a bigger room you might have to run a new circuit, which could be more difficult depending on how your house is laid out. Not complicated, just difficult if there's not easy access to the breaker box, attic, walls, whatever.

1 person likes this.
  18. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Speaking of which. My electrical is only rated at 70 amps (old 1950s) house. I've been thinking about putting in an hvac system and a new Nest thermo, but am assuming I would have to upgrade my electrical as well.

19. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

I guess it just depends on what you've got that's electric and how big your house is, but maybe not. Modern air conditioners don't draw a lot of amps. IIRC a 2-ton a mini split draws only about 10 amps at 220v when it's running full blast. Conventional ducted would pull a little more, but not much. If you don't have one currently, I imagine you don't need huge cooling capacity.

If you have to have resistive electric heat it might be a different story.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  20. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Was that 400w for the whole space