1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

It was an all cash offer with a supporting letter from a financial advisor. Turns out the buyer and his advisors were overly optimistic.

2. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Interesting. I'm entirely ignorant of how cash offers really work - what does one typically look like? Do they generally attach redacted bank statements or what? Is yours a situation where the advisor was telling them they could liquidate their holdings and pay all cash and there was an unexpected decline in the price of their holdings?

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Our cash buyer had the money held in escrow for confirmation before we signed any paperwork. I'd assume it would have to be completely liquid before a bank would move forward.

4. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

All reasonable questions. The offer had no conditions and stated all cash (the form in CA has you indicate your sources for payment of the purchase price - eg contingent financing, non-contingent financing, cash). We had a very good letter from a reputable institution and had no reason to believe there was anything funny going on. We did not do any asset verification but the letter was so strong we didn't think it was necessary. I didn't think anyone would make an all-cash, no conditions offer when they don't have the available liquidity.

Because there were no conditions I didn't expect to be taking on any risk so we accepted the offer. My real estate broker is very very experienced and told me that he has never seen a deal like this not close so I wasn't too concerned at the time.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  5. suited

suited Senior member

My wife and I rented a solar powered cabin earlier in the summer. It also had a composting toilet. I imagine this place was far more rustic than what you've just bought, but we still enjoyed the experience. The system was only 12-volt, which would be a nightmare long term, but for a few days it wasn't bad.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

This place is pretty rustic. Built and owned by an artist who painted all day, then (based on the tiny 12V system he put in) read Zane Grey novels by a single bulb at night. Meeting a few solar guys to get a quote on upping the system. If hardwiring from the road is comparable in cost I'll opt for the unlimited power as I want a bigger fridge that I can leave on during the week and the juice for power tools. Can't be that expensive if I do the trench/conduit work. I hope.

It does have an on-demand propane water heater, but I need to rebuild the spring house and then install a UV filter for potable water. Or just use the spring for showers and carry in drinking water. My buddy put a well into his nearby place at a cost of 12K and I'd rather use that for the new kitchen and bath I want to put in.

lefty

7. joelscott7

joelscott7 Senior member

Does anyone know of a site where you can upload a picture of the exterior of your house to create a new design for the exterior? The only ones that I have found have been focused on siding or exterior colours and I am looking for something that includes landscaping such as stone work and creating a new porch.

8. msg

msg Senior member

Suggestions for resources to learn more about lighting? LED vs incandescent? How to decide which temp is right for which conditions? Soft vs white?

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Google

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Anyone have suggestions on a good LED under cabinet lighting solution? I'm going to hardwire, and run the wires through the walls. It seems prices vary wildly, and online, I can't really see the difference.

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Pay attention to the colour spectrum is my advice. Not sure if it's meaningful advice or not!

Fireplace project is done. It rocks. Maybe pics at some point, maybe not.

1 person likes this.
  12. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Cute, Piob, I'm sure you're fishing for someone to implore you to post the finished product.

2 people like this.
  13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Nope, as that request was already made. I'm just deciding if I want SH to browbeat me or not.

1 person likes this.
  14. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

So I had Scout installed for about a month...and just packed it up to send it back to Amazon.

Pros:
    1) Easy to install - installation is guided via smartphone and helps ensure that all components connect.
    2) It works, in the sense that all of the components talk to each other as they are supposed to
    3) Battery and cell backup on base station

Cons:
    1) Generally looks better than many other systems, but the window/door sensors are large because of the batteries
    2) Lack of instructions - the unit that would go by your main entry door to arm/disarm gives feedback via color, with no explanation of what the colors mean.
    3) Motion sensors pick up pets
    4) Notifications are inconsistent and slow. I only occasionally received push notifications, often receiving the email notice first.
    5) The sirens are a joke. One can easily sleep through them unless you installed another unit in the bedroom.
    6) No option to use smartphone as a siren. The whole thing is controlled via smartphone, how difficult would it be to use it as a siren?
    7) Connection to servers sometimes goes down due to server-side or cloud issues.
    8) No option to add cameras.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Damn, solar is expensive.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  16. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

yes, but in 17 years, it will all break even..........

2 people like this.
  17. lefty

lefty Senior member

And I'll feel good about myself for those 17 years. Laying in line to get on the grid is even more based on how far away I am from a pole.

May be time to resurrect the Turnspit Dog.

lefty

2 people like this.
  18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Lefty, what about the Tesla house battery with solar charging?

1 person likes this.
  19. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

The squirrels chewed through the wall of my shed this summer to make a home. I poisoned them and decided to nail up some wood to cover the hole yesterday. Turns out the stack of old wood I stood on had a wasp nest. I got stung about 8 times pretty much everywhere but my face. And my neighbor probably got to see me take my clothes off in the back yard. Awesome times.

2 people like this.
  20. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

That's what you get for poisoning squirrels.