1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I got a bunch of paper wasps in my shed a few years back. Fuckers stung me like ten times, so I sympathize with you. Get some super-duper wasp killer stuff, put on a mask and teach them to mess with a species that has mastered chemical warfare.

2 people like this.
  2. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I poisoned the chipmunks too. Little furry bastards

3. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

I'll admit to taking pleasure in watching them fall out of the sky when I spray them. I always volunteer to clear them out of the dugouts of our Little League fields, those sprays are amazing / scary.

4. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

When I first read the above comment I thought it was about squirrels, and I was going to ask where you get this spray...

1 person likes this.
  5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Solar really lends itself to modular development. Just start with a few batteries a few panels, and a good charging system and add as you find you need more power. You should be able to run a small cabin's basic needs for 10 grand or so. A fridge is going to be the power hog, but propane is a good option. You won't be able to leave it on when not in use either way, but do you really need to? Also, get your water tested before buying an expensive uv system. It might be fine. If not, a Berkley filter works really, really well for drinking water and is a cheap, simple, and proven technology.

On demand heaters are great, but they're fiddly as hell.

Enjoy off grid living!

1 person likes this.
  6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Well that was fun.

Did the inspection on Sat and it was a disaster. Place was built willy nilly by an artist who was more Pollack when you really want Mondrian. Inspector said, "not sure we should all be on this loft right now." Would have required a near rebuild so I pulled the deal. My agent was nearly in tears.

To add to the fun we took a drive and saw a handbuilt cabin on a camp that was spectacular. An extra hour away but the guy really did a great job. There was an accepted offer on it, but no contract so we came in hard and fast with 10% over ask - unheard of for these places - and had a new accepted offer. The original buyers said "fuck you" then came back with 20% over ask. Not going to get into a bidding war on a cabin so adios amigos. Hope the seller appreciates that I just made her 20%.

lefty

7 people like this.
  7. Marc Voorhees

Marc Voorhees Senior member

Lefty just made it rain hard bitches. Sorry about the lost deal though!

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

Just got the water test from the spring back. Chock-full of e coli and coliform.

Dodged a couple of different bullets there.

lefty

2 people like this.
  9. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Congrats for avoiding a money pit Lefty.

On that note, my prior estranged deal might actually be moving in the right direction. I don't want to jinx it but I am cautiously optimistic I can get this done. Also turns out that someone contacted me and might have some buyers for another property I have. It's in a booming neighborhood but I am tempted to get out now. Hasn't been a great performer for me growth wise for a number of reasons so I need to decide if I get out now or not. Gains will be taxable which will also be true in the future so upside is somewhat limited even if value grows.

1 person likes this.
  10. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Gains due to holding period or exceeding the exclusion?

11. UnFacconable

Gains would be taxable due to it not being my primary residence, among other reasons since you can only exclude gains from one sale every two years and my first sale that's in process would fall into that bucket.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

You might consider a 1031 exchange.

1 person likes this.
  13. UnFacconable

I've thought about doing a 1031 and buying a vacation home which I initially rent out but I'm not sure I want to be in the rental business. The tax benefits of depreciation don't come into play so I'm not sure it's the right type of investment for me.

14. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

What state do you live in?

15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

had dinner with a friend on thursday night and we were talking about our rental properties. I noted how I've been lucky with good tenants in this unit for ~5 years. Get an email from them Friday morning that they want out of their lease to buy a place. :censored:

16. UnFacconable

The State of Jefferson (NorCal).

17. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

As of tomorrow, the Conneman will be a homeowner. :slayer::slayer::slayer:

Any tips on buying appliances? I don't want to go high end and I don't want to go the budget route. Looking to buy a stainless four burner gas range, refrigerator, and dishwasher. Do Home Depot or Lowe's have major sales any time soon? I've heard buying the full sets can be pretty affordable but I assume you just have to go to the store to catch these deals.

6 people like this.
  18. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Lowes 10% off coupons are widely available online. And black friday's coming up.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Conne, I feel like the proud father of the bride....

Now could not be a better time to buy middle of the road appliances. From GE to Samsung there's just so much good stuff out there. Read reviews, align your budget and priorities, and go for it.

20. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen so far. Samsung in particular seems to make some great stuff at pretty decent prices.

Would it be worth it to sign up with Consumer Reports to do some research? $30 for an annual digital subscription is not bad...

Ataturk, I despise Black Friday but it may be the best time to buy this stuff.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015