Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Home Ownership Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Douglas, Jan 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

Good point, those who survive long enough to become 'period' furniture have a short list of wealthy patrons or sell outside of america. Not everyone wants to take the route and end up making something that can be sold at the major retails so they can afford to continue making things that interest themselves.

2. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Though this was released in late '79 it is the best album of the '80s.

[​IMG]
    lefty

3. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I suspect that there is somewhere that carbon fiber could be used for its flex properties... Not an entire chair, but some key structural components on a lounge or office chair to help it conform to the user. Could allow some different shapes to be used--flexing a structural rib instead of compressing a spring, distributing loads/providing adjustment with Bowden cables.

Not sure how you would make this visually appealing, but they have made a lot of advances in carbon recently and doing carbon layup has gotten pretty cheap. Right now there are a lot of people who are essentially defense contractors fooling around in their spare time. Now they are mostly messing with things like previously impossible carbon repairs and exotic boat spars and bike parts, but it is only a matter of time before somebody starts messing with furniture.

4. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

then again, plastic also flexes. And is cheap.

carbon for boat/auto/bike stuff is used for carbon's performance. Light, stiff, absorbs shock, etc. It's worth paying this vs. other materials. IMO i'm not sure what the upgrade would be on furniture.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

6. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

7. E TF

E TF Senior Member

Yes it's not cheap. I like furniture that shows its life, has some knocks and bashes, old repairs etc. It has a sort of wabi-sabi appeal for me. It also fits in with the lived-in country house look we're trying to achieve. I do have a couple of guys I use for restoration - they generally want to go much further toward perfection than I do. Which is all fortunate as it works out much cheaper.:D
    I generally buy at smaller local auctions outside of london, and from a handful of dealers I know, but I do get the odd piece from Christies and Bonhams. They both have regular interiors auctions in London at not so ludicrous prices. Earlier this year I got a lovely untouched Regency bow front chest of drawers (sun bleached but in a way I really dig) from Christies for less than the price of a replica eames recliner for instance, or half a van load of crap from ikea. All being well it should outlive me.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

8. Medwed

Medwed Distinguished Member

Boston-NYC-Helsinki-Pietari-Budapest-Antwerp-Basel

9. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

Neighbors is used loosely, it's more friends and family, but bandwagon in high-end furniture is a thing (here) and it's really peculiar, when looking at it from the outside.

A shop in Singapore did/does eames chairs in carbon fiber.

http://www.garageworksindustries.com/shop/garageworks

10. Medwed

That lounge chair in carbon looks awesome. I want one.

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Stylish Dinosaur

Would love to see some of this stuff also. Sounds very cool.

I attempted to find someone who does French Polish local to me for a small cabinet I made a few years ago. One guy quoted me $5000 and needed the piece for over a year….So I ended up finding someone who was good with lacquer, since it was a new piece it's good, but on an 18c antique I would either need to pick up the technique or pay someone.

In europe last year I stumbled upon someone who french polishes all of the boxes he makes, and didn't make a very big deal out of it either.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Stylish Dinosaur

Sounds like this is right up your alley.

http://www.drewpritchard.co.uk

I love his TV show. :embar:

13. E TF

E TF Senior Member

I'll take some photos some time.

One of the restorers I know, who's also a cabinet maker, does proper french polishing but says it's a real bitch because his workshop generally has loads of saw dust floating around in the air, which is your worst enemy when french polishing. So he has to spring clean the place, then do nothing at all in there for a while to let everything settle, before he can start polishing. I guess all that gets worked into the price.

He's got some nice stuff. Just about having an eye for what your clients will like. Being able to take a decent photo helps. This is another I like - http://www.milesgriffithsantiques.co.uk/

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I enjoyed reading the preceding 30-40 posts but this talk always leaves me so confused and conflicted.

15. Medwed

You are very criptic man. Your post leaves me confused as well.