• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh. My garbage disposal seems to have kicked it after I dumped some gunk from my blender down the sink and turned on the disposal (with the tap running). Now everytime I try it just hums (despite working the screw to dislodge whatever is stuck in there). I got a $1300 quote from a plumber to replace it although he was kind enough to tighten the leaking p-trap for me lol. I have another plumber coming to look at it tomorrow but considering doing the work myself. The internet claims it's not that difficult. Am I crazy to want to do it myself?

Unless it is ancient, it seems like you should be able to buy one that is just plug and play.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ugh. My garbage disposal seems to have kicked it after I dumped some gunk from my blender down the sink and turned on the disposal (with the tap running). Now everytime I try it just hums (despite working the screw to dislodge whatever is stuck in there). I got a $1300 quote from a plumber to replace it although he was kind enough to tighten the leaking p-trap for me lol. I have another plumber coming to look at it tomorrow but considering doing the work myself. The internet claims it's not that difficult. Am I crazy to want to do it myself?
Nevermind. I fixed it! Insinkerator customer service just said keep using the allen wrench and look to see what's causing the jam as their warranty won't cover those. It took a while and some acrobatics but I found the tiny piece of metal that got lodged in there. It appears it was an errant part from my blender cover that fell apart while doing the dishes. I totally forgot about that (serves me right for doing chores late night after several drinks). The disposal works now! Crazy the plumber offered to just replace it. I'll fix the p-trap on my own since I just grew an inch.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can walk and chew bubble gum...........

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nevermind. I fixed it! Insinkerator customer service just said keep using the allen wrench and look to see what's causing the jam as their warranty won't cover those. It took a while and some acrobatics but I found the tiny piece of metal that got lodged in there. It appears it was an errant part from my blender cover that fell apart while doing the dishes. I totally forgot about that (serves me right for doing chores late night after several drinks). The disposal works now! Crazy the plumber offered to just replace it. I'll fix the p-trap on my own since I just grew an inch.

Stories like this are exactly why I have almost zero trust in electricians, plumbers, appliance repair people, HVAC repair people, or mechanics. They have zero incentive to fix the problem as cheaply as possible unless they were born honest. I had three foundation repair companies come to inspect a crack in foundation at our cabin, and all three recommended work ranging from $6,000 to $14,000. that range alone was enough for me to invest $750 in a structural engineer to come out and inspect themselves. They found nothing that would warrant any work at all (these types of cracks are common when building on side of a mountain, and he had the settlement at that corner of the cabin at less than 1/8") and he just recommended I slap a crack monitor on there and watch it over time

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At least in this situation, the plumber probably could have fixed it (if he'd found the obstruction), tightened up the leaking p trap, and asked Joffrey for $200 which he probably would have paid without complaint.

Trying to upsell a full replacement on a later date seems like a worse deal than cash in hand for a visit you were already making...and aggreeing to come back at a later date to fiddle around for a jam in a disposal for an hour that may or may not fix it sounds like a potential waste of time (especially since disposals really do just die and stop working).

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My fridge has been warming up. Thermo indicates 60 F inside :(

Person coming out Friday morning. $175 for visit + $parts + $labor.

Will share our findings.

I recall taking measurements 1-2 months ago in preparation for replacing. I think this was triggered via another thread where some of you were talking about a refrigerator going bad. Sigh :brick:
The current appliance has to be at least 10 years old or more based on seller photos I looked up via Redfin.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fridge has been warming up. Thermo indicates 60 F inside :(

Person coming out Friday morning. $175 for visit + $parts + $labor.

Will share our findings.

I recall taking measurements 1-2 months ago in preparation for replacing. I think this was triggered via another thread where some of you were talking about a refrigerator going bad. Sigh :brick:
The current appliance has to be at least 10 years old or more based on seller photos I looked up via Redfin.
Yeah... that was me back in December.

If you do have to replace it, buy the simplest one possible; ideally two doors and no water dispenser.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My initial inspection. First time moving since calling this place home 4 years ago. Man it was dirty back there. Leaving it out until Friday morning when my appt is. I think most the dirty work is done.

Freezer seems to be working fine but top shelves are 50-60 F. Hope this is easy to diagnose and fix.

Fridge is right at the entrance, I think that’s a positive.

IMG_5035.jpeg

IMG_5034.jpeg

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Housebound this week while getting a new roof, gutters etc and trying to assuage my clowder of cats. One of the escapees using the roofers ladder to try to break back in..

1712243309428.jpeg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We didn't know this for a while but the 2 largest plumbing, electrical, HVAC, etc companies in Nashville pay their people on work plus up charges. This incentivizes them to charge more work. We did not know this until after we re-piped our old house and installed a new HVAC unit.

We have since found a smaller company that is very responsive and reasonably priced. They also don't seem to upcharge given we had 2 bigger scares where I thought we would be looking at multiple thousands in work to only be solved for a small price and a "wait and see" on some of the larger items.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My initial inspection. First time moving since calling this place home 4 years ago. Man it was dirty back there. Leaving it out until Friday morning when my appt is. I think most the dirty work is done.

Freezer seems to be working fine but top shelves are 50-60 F. Hope this is easy to diagnose and fix.

Fridge is right at the entrance, I think that’s a positive.

View attachment 2160809

View attachment 2160811
Was up last night cleaning some more and taking apart the front and back. Decided to cancel the appointment tomorrow morning after receiving message about possible parts the tech will bring. Checked again and this refrigerator was purchased between 2009-2013. Just going to buy a new one and checking Costco first. I feel like the visit + parts + cost is equivalent to a new RF.

@SixOhNine Did you end up purchasing a new one? Mind sharing what brand, etc?

I'm shopping now, 32 x 69 x 33 (with handle).

Is there a RF that will add resale value to the overall home? :D

Edit:
This LG looks simple enough, and Costco seems to have my preferred installation with haul away. Reviews indicated new compressor with less problems. Going to walk in tonight to see if any better options per se before ordering online. Nothing else seems to fit my specs--Depth from wall 26 1/8 and width from wall 35 1/4.

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@SixOhNine Did you end up purchasing a new one? Mind sharing what brand, etc?
Yeah, we did.

I think I mentioned that my wife required it to match our other appliances, so we got a KitchenAid. This model; I was overruled on the ice and water dispenser, so I'm not super confident about its long term prospects. On the other hand, we're probably moving in about 5 years, so i don't need it to be incredibly durable.

It's a lot of f*cking money to just keep leftovers and drinks cold, though.

Featured Sponsor

With US Luxury Spending Down 11%, Have You Also Cut Back?

• Yes, I’ve reduced my luxury spending.

• No, my luxury spending has stayed the same.

• No, I’ve actually increased my luxury spending.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bensdye