• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright fine! Seeding bomb soon!

I was busy working on the garage busting out random shelving with screws everywhere lol

c0e014d5-726d-40b3-9b83-232b6691beb4.jpeg 51004254-9a2d-441a-b8df-3d7a45d5d85c.jpeg IMG_9735.jpeg

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are....are we just letting the "fist deep" comment slide?

Is everyone feeling alright?

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you leave it in there, it won’t slide.

I like how Hue app can let you do color recipes. I try to replicate the colors on overseas flights when they wake passengers up so it feels natural either at home or when travelling.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I learned that "Counter Depth" is not the same thing as "Standard Depth" when talking about refrigerators.

On a totally 100% unrelated note, today is also the day our new appliances are on the truck to be delivered. 🤦‍♂️

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I learned that "Counter Depth" is not the same thing as "Standard Depth" when talking about refrigerators.

On a totally 100% unrelated note, today is also the day our new appliances are on the truck to be delivered. 🤦‍♂️

Never understood why Counter Depth is more expensive but it is...

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never understood why Counter Depth is more expensive but it is...

I learned that today too. Doesn’t seem to make much sense to pay more for less space but I guess it’s a demand thing.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have largely a boomer mentality on smarthome stuff with the extremely important exception of security. But I can physically lock my own doors and turn on my own lights harrumph

no, not really. I appreciate automation, but it has to make a meaningful difference (no offense to you guys with your colored lights) and it has to not become a pain in th ass.

My security system came with smart thermostat controls and garage door controls, which are also really, really useful. I think I’d need to be convinced about the rest of it. I’m particularly suspicious about Alexa

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This install has turned into a total cluster f*ck.

Take down the old microwave to find that the tile backsplash actually goes all the way up behind the cabinet but thankfully we could re-jigger the existing bracket enough to make it work with the new microwave without having to get another crew who can drill into the tile.

Remove the old oven but the elbow for the gas connection is massive and at a totally different angle than what will work with the new oven. Oh... it's also slightly loose and has probably had a small gas leak for years. We lucked out that one of our installers is a pipefitter and can take care of that for us.

Then we move on to the dishwasher, which was the impetus for us finally buying new appliances in the first place - old dishwasher was probably close to 30-years-old and finally died completely about a week ago. First the shut off valve for the dishwasher turns and turns but doesn't do anything. I bought from Home Depot and their policy doesn't allow them to shut off at the main valve so the option is to leave the old dishwasher in place and then leave us the new dishwasher and call a plumber or a separate installer to come out. One of the guys in the crew says he's happy to handle it for us though... for a price. But he refunds our install, refunds the price for the parts package, refunds the haul away fee and gives us a price actually about $50 cheaper. Fine, let's do it. Turn off the water to the whole house and then remove the old dishwasher only to find a big a55 hole in the slab under it that somebody covered with sheetrock, probably 20+ years ago. Luckily we had enough pieces of wood around that we could remove the sheetrock and build a level area from the wood that was flush with the rest of the flooring. Get the new dishwasher installed, turn back on the water, and go to run it and water is leaking out of the front panel and it's just beeping like crazy. FML!

Can't refuse delivery of the dishwasher because it's already installed. Do a few things and try to run it again and it appears to maybe now be working correctly? Who knows. Installers say the best bet is to call Home Depot within 48 hours and say I installed it since I didn't mind turning on/off the main water supply and that it's just not working correctly. Home Depot will likely just mark this one as defective and send out another... only problem is I'm going to run into the same issue with the faulty shut-off valve so I need to try to get the same installers or call them before the new one gets here and they'll pull the old one out for me and then come back and install the new one once it's delivered.

What a PITA. And my wife wonders why I never bother with any sort of home improvement projects.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet he is

iu

Probably explains why he wanted my wife to be the one bending down and climbing in to check out the interior of the dishwasher!

One more SNAFU - Just to be safe and make sure the counter depth fridge we plan to order will work, we pull out the old one to check the shut off valve.... and it's not there. Instead, we've got about 15' of copper pipe that, the best we can tell, is tucked away under the cabinetry running along the wall and making a couple 90º turns to a shut off valve under the sink (at least that shut off valve does appear to be working). So now once we get a new fridge I've got to call somebody out to try to pull a plastic or braided line through there somehow since the fitting on the copper line is so old it's unlikely to fit on the new fridge once it's remove from the old one. SMH

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8