• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The high end Chinese Shoe Thread

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I wanted to see if they had a St. Crispin that I could try on to find my fit. No such luck. Instead, I may order a pair from ACME. The sales guy (very knowledgeable, by the way) told me the next trunk show will be in a couple of months. They will try to find something in my size in the last I want (I am just a 10.5UK but they had almost nothing in that size in the store). We will see.

Were you there for their ACME trunk show?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't recall having ever said anything about an Austrian heritage of that style of shoe. The split-toe and apron design is generally known as 'Norwegian'. Whether this shoe goes back to some historical Norwegian way of shoemaking or is just a name given to that design, I wouldn't know. The old Norwegians must have been quite prolific shoemakers, after all the humble loafer is also credited to them. Bass calls their loafers 'Weejuns', allegedly derived from Norwegians.

I would agree with calling the SC shoes featured as 'French' (inspired). That proportion (or ill-proportion) of extra-short apron and extra-long toe-seam is typical for French or Italian designs. Just pointing out for clarity, those 'seams' of apron and toe are faux, they are just decorative lines and do not join two pieces of leather.
My bad then!. I thought someone verse in shoes l8ke you posted long ago an informative post about that model saying it was austrian. I stand corrected.

BomTrady

Reaction score
Basically where I’m at unless I can get a better fit off ACME but that brings me back in the circular argument in my head of how nobody has any fit guidance on their RTW stuff anyways somehow.
I believe the ACME fit is very close to YF, maybe a tad bit tighter in both the heel and toe box - a negligible difference. I like the fit, construction and pretty much everything. If someone forced me to name a complaint, I would say the leather quality isn't YF, but that can be easily justified by the price difference. My only caveat is that I've never worn the ACME outside the house yet.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the ACME fit is very close to YF, maybe a tad bit tighter in both the heel and toe box - a negligible difference. I like the fit, construction and pretty much everything. If someone forced me to name a complaint, I would say the leather quality isn't YF, but that can be easily justified by the price difference. My only caveat is that I've never worn the ACME outside the house yet.
How does the instep wear? That’s typically my hardest fit point. I can just barely pull off Meccariello soft square. The Yeossal lasts and YF were too high for me (I am able to wear YF with a tongue pad but still feel a little bad about adding it to the shoe)

BomTrady

Reaction score
How does the instep wear? That’s typically my hardest fit point. I can just barely pull off Meccariello soft square. The Yeossal lasts and YF were too high for me (I am able to wear YF with a tongue pad but still feel a little bad about adding it to the shoe)
Then I think that you'll be happy with ACME. The ACME model I have has a lower instep than rtw YF. I think it's a tighter fit overall.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

which ACME last is this? I think they told me T89 (the one for split toe and lazyman I think) is the most generous in toe.

did you get RTW or something else?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also sizing reference? I was basically quoted CJ size (ie -1 from US) on ACME, never tried YF, but based on quick read I would think I need -0.5 for YF (toebox width).

BomTrady

Reaction score
Also sizing reference? I was basically quoted CJ size (ie -1 from US) on ACME, never tried YF, but based on quick read I would think I need -0.5 for YF (toebox width).
I am not sure about that clee, I took the same size in ACME as YF. The ACME team suggested the same as G&G and the fit worked perfectly. If run down a list of shoe sizes you own, they'll quickly make a suggestion for you. If nothing else, those guys at ACME are better than anyone at sizing their shoes as they have lots of experience with other shoe brands.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I certainly thank you for providing a little more information regarding the brand. Seems there's a scarcity of both information and owners regarding ACME. At this price point, the more knowledge available the better. ??

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually just checked my IG chat, it says N83 for lazyman as well, and is suppose to be more accommodating

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh and how do you compare N83 to GG MH71 (the only GG last that’s barely wearable for me) in same size?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads