• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

Diversification

Reaction score
I appreciate the insight. Perhaps I'll see if I can find the standard measurements of a Borrelli shirt to see how it compares to TML Fully Fitted. If it turns out that Borrelli makes shirts slimmer than the TML Fully Fitted, perhaps I'll see what I can do on the B&S/ebay.

Midnight

Reaction score
Rankiz,

Have you tried Hawes Curtis? While the TM Lewin shirt for the 14.5 neck are 35 inches around the waist, the Hawes and Curtis 14.5 inch slim fits are around 37 inches around the waist. Charles Tyrwhitt Slim Fit 14.5 neck are 39 inches around the waist, but I suspect that's too large.

Last edited:

kmz

Reaction score
just got a charles tyrwhitt slim fit - 15/33
too narrow for my shoulders
really really big on the waist (which i figured i would have to get tailored anyway). rest is ok

im 5 8, 150lbs, ~41" chest, 32" waist

any thoughts besides MTM?

Last edited:

Diversification

Reaction score
Have you tried Hawes Curtis? While the TM Lewin shirt for the 14.5 neck are 35 inches around the waist, the Hawes and Curtis 14.5 inch slim fits are around 37 inches around the waist. Charles Tyrwhitt Slim Fit 14.5 neck are 39 inches around the waist, but I suspect that's too large.

Although this is what I expected, I'm not sure why I go with a H&C whose waist is larger than TMLs. I just got finished mentioning that the TML waist is still a bit to big on me.... am I missing something?

Midnight

Reaction score

Although this is what I expected, I'm not sure why I go with a H&C whose waist is larger than TMLs.  I just got finished mentioning that the TML waist is still a bit to big on me....  am I missing something?

Diversification,

sorry for the lack of clarity. My post was a response to Rankiz, not yourself. I've edited the original post to make it clearer.

Last edited:

kmz

Reaction score

just got a charles tyrwhitt slim fit - 15/33
too narrow for my shoulders
really really big on the waist (which i figured i would have to get tailored anyway). rest is ok
im 5 8, 150lbs, ~41" chest, 32" waist
any thoughts besides MTM?

tried brooks brothers extra slim fit 15.5/32
still a lot of excess slack around waist but the rest was good. think i will pick a lot up during their after xmas sale and tailor them

jguyette

Reaction score
I received some Tyrwhitt slim fit shirts for Christmas, and they are the best fitting shirts I have. I was a little surprised that the material was so thin, and kind of see through. I believe these were the Tyrwhitt poplin weave. Would another material be less sheer? Twill? I really like the fit, but it would be great if the material were more substantial. Any suggestions?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you had any experience with BOSS slim fit or TM Lewin Fully Fitted?  I just recently acquired both.   The TM Lewin is definitely the slimmer of the two, but I still would like to go slimmer.  I think I may have both tailored.  I'm wondering how the Borrelli shirts compare to the TM Lewin Fully Fitted as that is currently the closest to what I'm looking for.

If I do decide to get the shirts tailored, I'm going to get them taken in at the waist, a bit at the chest, have the arms on the BOSS shortened.  For the TMLs I'm also hoping to have the body length brought up so I can wear them tucked and un-tucked.  Obviously I will consult the tailor about doing this, but can someone tell me if these are reasonable requests?  I don't have a tailor I work with but I found a well reviewed one online.  Still, I would rather get a consensus from you guys about whether these adjustments are feasible b/c I don't want the tailor to tell me "no problem" and then come back to find he's f**ked my shirts.

Those are reasonable requirements. Usually, a tailor can alter anything other than shoulder or neck size. The problem you will face will be the fact that the tailor is online. From experience I can tell you it is very difficult to get things right with an online tailor.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...for the price i paid (140 chf, roughly 160 usd) i will from now on definitely go for bespoke at that price. It's not a bad option at all for everybody.

+100.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received some Tyrwhitt slim fit shirts for Christmas, and they are the best fitting shirts I have. I was a little surprised that the material was so thin, and kind of see through. I believe these were the Tyrwhitt poplin weave. Would another material be less sheer? Twill? I really like the fit, but it would be great if the material were more substantial. Any suggestions?

You get what you pay for. You could try TM Lewin shirts.

Diversification

Reaction score

Those are reasonable requirements. Usually, a tailor can alter anything other than shoulder or neck size. The problem you will face will be the fact that the tailor is online. From experience I can tell you it is very difficult to get things right with an online tailor.

Thanks for the info. I didn't mean to make it sound like I was getting online tailoring done btw. I will go find one in my area and discuss what I want done. I was just wondering what I could logically expect a tailor to be capable of modifying well.

You get what you pay for. You could try TM Lewin shirts.

Twill is definitely going to be the better choice. My TML shirts had some twill among them and those are definitely the thicker shirts.

I think from now on I'll be going to modern tailor though b/c although the TML shirts look nice and feel decent, the sleeves become wrinkled and creased throughout the day just from having my arms bent. I assume that a better quality shirt would resist the creasing better so that when I straighten my arms there wouldn't be visible wrinkling.

If you have a CT shirt that fits you perfectly you could also pursue an online tailor like Modern Tailor (there are others too).

Last edited:

msart84

Reaction score
I got a few Hugh & Crye's and they are the best slim fit I have ever gotten. Better than some $165 customs I got made in NYC.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BOSS is sh*t. I don't care their history as discussed on the forum but simply the quality is not good and you pay a lot for the brand ( sure for each brand you buy you pay for brand but for boss you really pay for the brand) .

Boss has great patterns, and their shirts fit me better than any shirt I've ever had made, and certainly better than any OTR shirt I have ever purchased. In my case, the fit is damn near perfect. As far as the quality is concerned, before I discovered that I was interested in clothing I purchased some really crappy shirts. A good 10 years ago. I still have some of them. They didn't fall apart or disintegrate, despite what you might read around here by some posters.

"Quality" is harped on here far more than it should be - and that's saying a lot. If people cared as much about color coordination, patterns and fit as they did quality, they'd look much better. IMO, I'd rather "overpay" for a Boss shirt and have it look great and fit exceptionally well than drop hundreds of dollars on MTM to hit their 4 shirt minimum and take the risk of the tailor ******* it up. Are the the best quality shirts made? No, but I couldn't care less. My goal isn't to buy the highest quality shirt on the market, it's to buy what looks best on me.

Last edited:

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Boss has great patterns, and their shirts fit me better than any shirt I've ever had made, and certainly better than any OTR shirt I have ever purchased. In my case, the fit is damn near perfect. As far as the quality is concerned, before I discovered that I was interested in clothing I purchased some really crappy shirts. A good 10 years ago. I still have some of them. They didn't fall apart or disintegrate, despite what you might read around here by some posters.
"Quality" is harped on here far more than it should be - and that's saying a lot. If people cared as much about color coordination, patterns and fit as they did quality, they'd look much better. IMO, I'd rather "overpay" for a Boss shirt and have it look great and fit exceptionally well than drop hundreds of dollars on MTM to hit their 4 shirt minimum and take the risk of the tailor ******* it up. Are the the best quality shirts made? No, but I couldn't care less. My goal isn't to buy the highest quality shirt on the market, it's to buy what looks best on me.

Agree. Often one has to find a compromise and a happy medium between quality and color/patterns. The majority of my "interesting" shirts and ones for which I get compliments, happen to be some OTR shirts of not-so-good quality.

Diversification

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Black Brown 1826? It appears to be an in house Lord & Taylor brand; they have some decent looking/feeling shirts. They also are nicely priced (especially b/c of the current sale). I just discovered the brand last night right before the mall closed so I didn't get to try a shirt on.

I'm actually asking b/c while I didn't get to try on a one of their shirts, I was able to slip on a light jacket; it fit me almost too tightly around the mid section/waist! I almost NEVER see that! I'm wondering if the rest of their clothes run similarly fitted. Please let me know.

EDIT:
I'm also wondering about TOPMAN shirts. TOPMAN kinda reminds me of a Zara or something. Anyone have any of their shirts to comment on?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member