• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

rsharp00

Reaction score
I live in Dallas, TX, and there's a shop here called Cafe Coton. They have several different fits, but their "Club" line is a beautifully tailored, slim fit. Not the most exacting or spectacular quality, but it blows Polo out of the water (not that that's a particuliarly high threshold to overcome). They have a website too, if anybody's interested. And, no, I'm not a shill.

Dean Swift

Reaction score
I'm a 39" chest and find Riccoverro slimfits really fit me great, nice fabrics and retail for about $70. I'm in Norway and have no idea where else they sell but they do have a website. I've go few shirts by them, wash well and easy to iron.

kjparfekt

Reaction score
I'm a 40 chest, 34/35 sleeve, 32 inch waist, 16.5 neck (6 ft tall, 168 lb)... finally found some shirts that fit well. 2 Armani Jeans (AJ) shirts size large, and a Huge (Hugo Boss Red Label) sport shirt size large. Both are actually fitted through my waist without that extra material billowing effect.

atila

Reaction score
Quick Q about BB shirts:

I have broad shoulders and a thick/muscular build (read: not skinny) but still have a small waste.

I like slimmer shirts, but nothing TOO restrictive/tight - my initial feeling is to get the slim fit shirts as opposed to the extra slim fit.

What's the consensus? I like a clean and tailored look, but I don't want the shirt to be restrictive at all.

rdgn123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by atila
Quick Q about BB shirts:

I have broad shoulders and a thick/muscular build (read: not skinny) but still have a small waste.

I like slimmer shirts, but nothing TOO restrictive/tight - my initial feeling is to get the slim fit shirts as opposed to the extra slim fit.

What's the consensus? I like a clean and tailored look, but I don't want the shirt to be restrictive at all.

if you're muscular definitely get the slim fit, not the extra slim fit.

JC Penney coupons

Reaction score

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steveoly
They list the actual measurements of the extra slim shirts on the BB website and they are accurate. I shared similar worries as you. I wear a 16.5 in most fitted shirts, Barba being my favorite, and the BB ESF fit great in 16.5.

I checked BB's website, and I couldn't find any actual measurements for their shirts. I found this:

"¢ Extra Slim Fit
Introducing our most tailored fit. Measures 3" slimmer through the chest, 1" slimmer through the waist and 2 3/4" slimmer through the seat than our Slim fit. Higher arm holes and narrower sleeves complement the trimmer silhouette.

However, there are no "actual" measurements for the Extra Slim Fit or Slim Fit, there are only comparisons to the other fits. Since there are no base measurements for the chest, waist, and seat for the Traditional fit, I have no idea what to subtract from to get the actual measurements for the ESF or SF.

Let's say I wanted to get a 15.5/36 BB ESF shirt, does anyone know what the actual chest, waist, and seat measurements will be?

GQ1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
I checked BB's website, and I couldn't find any actual measurements for their shirts. I found this:

"¢ Extra Slim Fit
Introducing our most tailored fit. Measures 3" slimmer through the chest, 1" slimmer through the waist and 2 3/4" slimmer through the seat than our Slim fit. Higher arm holes and narrower sleeves complement the trimmer silhouette.

However, there are no "actual" measurements for the Extra Slim Fit or Slim Fit, there are only comparisons to the other fits. Since there are no base measurements for the chest, waist, and seat for the Traditional fit, I have no idea what to subtract from to get the actual measurements for the ESF or SF.

Let's say I wanted to get a 15.5/36 BB ESF shirt, does anyone know what the actual chest, waist, and seat measurements will be?

Here are the measurements for a 15/33 BB ESF Shirt:

Pit to Pit: 19 inch
Shoulder to Shoulder: 17 inch
Shoulder to Sleeve: 25 inch

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQ1
Here are the measurements for a 15/33 BB ESF Shirt:

Pit to Pit: 19 inch
Shoulder to Shoulder: 17 inch
Shoulder to Sleeve: 25 inch

Wow, BB ESF might actually be too tight in the chest for me. My MTM shirts now are 15.5 in the neck and about 22 1/4 in the chest. Would you be able to let me know the waist measurements as well? I should just go to the store and try one on to see for myself too...

GQ1

Reaction score
Wow, BB ESF might actually be too tight in the chest for me. My MTM shirts now are 15.5 in the neck and about 22 1/4 in the chest. Would you be able to let me know the waist measurements as well? I should just go to the store and try one on to see for myself too...

Based on your measurement of your MTM shirt, I would suggest to go for the Traditional Fit in BB rather than Slim Fit or Extra Slim Fit because the 15/33 Slim Fit measures 20 inches in chest.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQ1
Based on your measurement of your MTM shirt, I would suggest to go for the Traditional Fit in BB rather than Slim Fit or Extra Slim Fit because the 15/33 Slim Fit measures 20 inches in chest.

Their Traditional Fit shirts are massive, I think I could wrap them around my body twice. I've tried on their Slim Fit shirts in one of their stores and even that was huge on me, especially in the sleeves, which were way too baggy for a "Slim Fit" shirt IMO. I was hoping their Extra Slim Fit might be more trim in comparison (with higher armholes and slimmer sleeves), but it looks like they might be a little too tight in the chest for me. For reference, here are some measurements of my MTM shirts, which fit quite slim on me:

Neck - 15.5
Chest - 22.25
Waist - 18.75
Seat - 20

Looks like maybe I should just stick to MTM!

Dairy Phobic

Reaction score
Their Traditional Fit shirts are massive, I think I could wrap them around my body twice. I've tried on their Slim Fit shirts in one of their stores and even that was huge on me, especially in the sleeves, which were way too baggy for a "Slim Fit" shirt IMO. I was hoping their Extra Slim Fit might be more trim in comparison (with higher armholes and slimmer sleeves), but it looks like they might be a little too tight in the chest for me. For reference, here are some measurements of my MTM shirts, which fit quite slim on me:

Neck - 15.5
Chest - 22.25
Waist - 18.75
Seat - 20

Looks like maybe I should just stick to MTM!

have you checked out the regular fit? its inbetween traditional and slim

Anyone here with similar to my measurements that can recommend me some inexpensive dress shirts? I'm having trouble finding shirts that fit close, my measurements are chest:43, neck :15.5, waist: 32

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Billster
have you checked out the regular fit? its inbetween traditional and slim

Anyone here with similar to my measurements that can recommend me some inexpensive dress shirts? I'm having trouble finding shirts that fit close, my measurements are chest:43, neck :15.5, waist: 32

Their Slim Fit shirts are already too big for me, especially in the waist and sleeve width, so I'm sure the Regular Fit is gigantic. The measurements I listed in my previous post are shirt measurements, not body measurements, so I was hoping the BB ESF would be closer to my MTM shirt measurements. It might be a little tight in the chest, so I will probably just have to find a store somewhere and try one on.

And for your measurements, if you have an 11" drop from chest to waist, I don't think you'll ever be able to find an OTR shirt that fits you well. Shirts that fit you in the chest are going to be way too big and billowy in the waist, and if you size down to fit your waist it will probably be too tight in the chest. You're best bet is to try MTM.

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't know if banana republic slim fit dress shirt has been discussed before
i picked one up on sale (the sale + 40% sale)
size M 15-15.5 neck
it fits pretty well all around
my only complaint is that the shirt tail is kinda short
the shirt did not want to stay tucked in very well

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox
don't know if banana republic slim fit dress shirt has been discussed before
i picked one up on sale (the sale + 40% sale)
size M 15-15.5 neck
it fits pretty well all around
my only complaint is that the shirt tail is kinda short
the shirt did not want to stay tucked in very well

maybe it's meant to be worn on the outside and not tucked in?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads