• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Honestly, I see little difference in quality between Hugo Boss and H&M. The stitches are a bit cleaner, but you can hardly notice that with a suit or while moving and the button are the same.

I have nothing against H&M slim fit shirts (I own a charcoal one myself) but I also own a few of this spring's Hugo Boss slim fit shirts and there's a huge difference in quality. H&M's fabric is rough and just doesn't feel nice (it feels like it costs $34.95 CDN or whatever I paid for it), and the stitching is sloppy, with so many stray, loose, and hanging threads. The Hugo Boss shirts, in contrast, are pretty well made.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gfreeman
I have nothing against H&M slim fit shirts (I own a charcoal one myself) but I also own a few of this spring's Hugo Boss slim fit shirts and there's a huge difference in quality. H&M's fabric is rough and just doesn't feel nice (it feels like it costs $34.95 CDN or whatever I paid for it), and the stitching is sloppy, with so many stray, loose, and hanging threads. The Hugo Boss shirts, in contrast, are pretty well made.

There is a difference, but I can't justify a 10x higher MSRP for Hugo Boss shirts, is all I'm saying. I'd rather get 10 H&M shirts.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
BB extra-slim fit don't work for me. The shoulders and chest are too narrow while the waist is too wide. I am 5'10, 165 lbs, somewhat athletic and 15.5 collar. Hope that helps a little bit. I had to give the shirt to my father, who is shorter and skinnier. Fit him well... So, I'd say a 15.5 BB ESF shirts would fit a guy who weighs around 150 lbs.

I'm 5'10'', 140lb-ish with a 15-15.5 collar and the BB ESF works very well on me. I second your opinion.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ahe
How about the polo outlet ocbd slim fit, they fit me great and I'm 5'8 " 135pounds, 36R. The tails aren't long at all either and they are a good price at 35 bucks
This is pretty relieving to hear, as I am a 36 @ 5'11 and 145lbs. However I was in the Ralph Lauren store and the associate said there was no "slim fit." just "custom" or "classic." I felt like she was wrong but she was really knowledgeable and I think that it's strange that she said that. I will have to check out the outlet to see what this slim fittery is about. I love Polo and Ralph Lauren, but their custom fit just doesn't do it for me. So far as Hugo Boss goes, I feel like they fit really well in the abdomen, but the sleeves are way too big , the arm holes too low, and the cuffs absurdly huge with no placket button which is incredibly strange. Hugo Boss slim fit left a strange taste in my mouth when I tried it on and I couldn't reccomend it to anyone. It seems a bit sad to me that the best fitting shirts I can find are Express/Zara/H&M and they are by far the worst quality shirts you can buy. I'm going to dabble in MTM with modern tailor, but I'd love to find a company whose shirts can fit me well. I have had luck with BR however (not the best quality of course, but surely a step above the aforementioned) by going a size down.

GQ1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xCoffee
Does anyone have any recommendations as to nice slim fit casual OCBDs? The kind you might wear with flat front shorts and boat shoes with the sleeves rolled up. I have serious trouble with slim fitting clothing generally, as I am 5'7" and 125 lb, 35 chest, 29 waist, very slim around the middle. Needless to say Brooks Brother's slim fit looks ridiculous on me. I haven't tried the extra slim fit OCBDs that are on sale yet. Uniqlo sounds like it might do, but there's no Uniqlo around in the south. I'm almost tempted to just get MTM OCBDs with casual options like a shortened square hem etc.

Try Lands End Canvas Shirts. They're reasonably priced and good quality shirts.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a difference, but I can't justify a 10x higher MSRP for Hugo Boss shirts, is all I'm saying. I'd rather get 10 H&M shirts.

Well, H&M shirts are $34.95 here, and the Hugo Boss shirts are usually $175, so you'd be able to get 5 H&M shirts for one Hugo Boss.

With that said, fair play. I don't mind the H&M shirts, they just don't last that long for me.

xCoffee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
This is pretty relieving to hear, as I am a 36 @ 5'11 and 145lbs. However I was in the Ralph Lauren store and the associate said there was no "slim fit."

As I understand it, United States has no "Slim Fit" but Europe does.

ahe

Reaction score
My outlet store in Essex Junction, Vt definitely has the slim fit version, although I don't know if thats the exception.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Ralph Lauren Store in Austin has a ton of custom fits, however they still have a box pleat on the back and I can't see the difference between it and the classic fit.

insolentpup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
This is pretty relieving to hear, as I am a 36 @ 5'11 and 145lbs. However I was in the Ralph Lauren store and the associate said there was no "slim fit." just "custom" or "classic." I felt like she was wrong but she was really knowledgeable and I think that it's strange that she said that. I will have to check out the outlet to see what this slim fittery is about. I love Polo and Ralph Lauren, but their custom fit just doesn't do it for me. So far as Hugo Boss goes, I feel like they fit really well in the abdomen, but the sleeves are way too big , the arm holes too low, and the cuffs absurdly huge with no placket button which is incredibly strange. Hugo Boss slim fit left a strange taste in my mouth when I tried it on and I couldn't reccomend it to anyone. It seems a bit sad to me that the best fitting shirts I can find are Express/Zara/H&M and they are by far the worst quality shirts you can buy. I'm going to dabble in MTM with modern tailor, but I'd love to find a company whose shirts can fit me well. I have had luck with BR however (not the best quality of course, but surely a step above the aforementioned) by going a size down.
Try Bagutta slim fit, If they have it in the US. I'm your build exactly and they fit perfectly, 38 is nice sand tight for me, you may want a slightly looser 40

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnpaul
The shirts I'm always searching for are Polo "Custom Fit" shirts. For me, they fit better than some MTM shirts. However they are very hard to come by. I can never find them at the Polo store and the 1-2 shirts they have on Polo.com are usually atrocious. There are plenty of tent-like "classic fit" shirts available.

Get the polo shorts you want and then get them altered at a tailor for your fit. It's a little pricey this way, but you have a wide choice of colors and styles to choose from and a tailor can make them fit the way you want.

Capita

Reaction score
I have a 41chest and a 32 waist and not a lot of money to buy shirts (college student)

H & M has the best fit shirts that I have found but they are noticeably cheaper than the PRL and J Crew shirts I have tried out.

I didn't manage to find any slim cut ralph lauren shirts besides the standard logod polos... and their normal cuts were definitely too large.

I bought a "tailored fit" madras from J. Crew the other day at an outlet in riverhead long island. With outlet sales combined with a 15% discount for showing my University ID card it came in at 25 bucks which is only slightly more expensive than my local H & M. With a Medium size and a good tuck the shirt looked great, but still not quite as fitted as h and m. I think I have become a J. Crew fan (First time I had been in there tbh!)

blakepaul

Reaction score
I will definitley advise you to wear a custom-made shirt that will be exactly according to your measurements.
I m myself very slim and have square shoulders, I used to buy off the rack shirts which will never fit me at the shoulders,recently I made couple of shirts from Himark Martin Tailors from Hong Kong,it fits me very well.Perhaps I will order more shirts whenever I need any.I definitely prefer them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads