• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The CM Graveyard: First Sartoria Partenopea... next J. Crew?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Excellent interview and one of the best I've read in GQ in years.

Manufacturers who have known and worked with Sid for years have told me that he is, "always a cool guy". They really like him. While many independent retailers are jealous as hell of his media profile. But, after reading this interview and others, you see that he is great at interviews, summarizing his stores look, what his customers need and always offering suggestions that are usually fairly simple to pull off and won't break the bank.

He has a point-of-view style, he isn't trying to be all things to all people and is an excellent merchant. He stores are beautifully merchandised.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of CM companies that went out of business, there is a pile of really nice Sartoria Partenopea out there now. Sartoriale on eBay has a bunch. Just grabbed this nice brown business suit for a steal. Fits very well. Looking at overcoats now.

6A835CB6-899F-4F71-AD80-CBD91FA165E5.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen these but, like this one, the button stance seems absurdly high.
It’s a hair high and sort of like Canali. I like the slightly wide lapels. Tried it on after work today and I love it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They did a trunk show in San Francisco and brought bolts of absolutely beautiful fabrics and the construction seemed to be quite good. Unfortunately, I found the fit to be tight and short so not an easy or comfortable fit. But most of all, it didn't really have a particular style point-of-view.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh that gorge on the shoulder line, the buttoning point at the diaphragm level :(

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
what's really wrong? that's pretty "recent" italian jacket (high gorge, buttoning point is higher than I like but not ridiculous, and if I wore that jacket I would probably never button anyway...)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ugh that gorge on the shoulder line, the buttoning point at the diaphragm level :(
Yeah, gorge is fairly high. I don't mind the buttoning point too much as my Canali suits are somewhat similar. Fabric is quite nice and it only needs a few adjustments. Will post some pics after I get it tailored and then revisit for opinions. :hide:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's really wrong? that's pretty "recent" italian jacket (high gorge, buttoning point is higher than I like but not ridiculous, and if I wore that jacket I would probably never button anyway...)
It's not you it's me, I guess. I just really dislike the neo-Napolitan stuff that's lean and high high high everywhere. You'll never see a middle-aged guy in Naples wearing that. I remember @NickPollica repeatedly saying that we were the only store asking Eidos for longer jackets, lower buttoning points - whereas everyone was clamoring for high and short, so my taste must be out of sync with what's in

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the NMWA cut, just too long for me, if I'm 2 in taller (or maybe even just 1in) I could probably take your EU46 regular..., same problem for me with Formosa EU44

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not you it's me, I guess. I just really dislike the neo-Napolitan stuff that lean and high high high everywhere. You'll never see a middle-aged guy in Naples wearing that. I remember @NickPollica repeatedly saying that we were the only store asking for longer jackets, lower buttoning points - whereas everyone was clamoring for high and short, so my taste must be out of sync with what's in
I'm 6'1 and also prefer slightly lower buttoning points in general but this SP was close enough. Suit in cooler Brown color a nice addition to business suit rotation. Who says you can't wear brown in town?

Was also happy to get this in a 52L as that size can be hard to find for me quite often.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG
Two pics from Paul Stuart's new arrivals for summer. Fairly high gorge and buttoning points. Not sure what the latest trends are actually.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads