• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The best Oxford shirt

vikke977

Reaction score
I would recommend Drake’s. Expensive, yes, but the fabric, collar and quality are solid. Kamakura has been recommended above, but compared point by point, the Drake’s OCBD simply blows it away. The collar is better than Kamakura’s flimsy one, the fabric is a much more robust oxford-weave and Kamakura’s small, yellow river shell buttons can not hold a candle to Drake’s beautiful MOP buttons. Granted, the Drake’s one costs twice as much. It can be had on the Archive sales for close to the msrp of the Kamakura, though.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Agreed. Their recent Sea Island cotton OCBDs are incredible. I'm hoping they restock because I'll buy more.
How does the sea island cotton differ from their regular oxfords? I have some of the “Sport” ones and while I like a lot about them, I just feel like the fabric is so thin. I have some years old oxfords from J Crew that have a much thicker, nicer fabric for half the price.

Old Red

Reaction score
OP mentioned the PS shirt. I have had two shirts made with that fabric and it's a thicker, sturdy cloth; I like it though a bit warm this time of year. Carl (at CEGO shirts) is appalled at the fabric price, in line with the PS shirt price I suppose.

I had the shirts made with breast pockets sewn on.

mosivy

Reaction score
Kamakura is the best value if the fit works for you. Drakes is good but overpriced. Mercer is great quality but very, very boxy.

My personal favorite is Bryceland's, made by Ascot Chang. Not cheap, but impeccable quality. The fit and details work well for my taste.

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
OP mentioned the PS shirt. I have had two shirts made with that fabric and it's a thicker, sturdy cloth; I like it though a bit warm this time of year. Carl (at CEGO shirts) is appalled at the fabric price, in line with the PS shirt price I suppose.

I had the shirts made with breast pockets sewn on.
Interesting. I found a PS shirt on sale and have ordered, shall report back on the fabric and fit.

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Kamakura is the best value if the fit works for you. Drakes is good but overpriced. Mercer is great quality but very, very boxy.

My personal favorite is Bryceland's, made by Ascot Chang. Not cheap, but impeccable quality. The fit and details work well for my taste.
Lots of mentions of Kamakura, and its fit. What is it about the fit ? Are they considered large/oversize, or something else? I'm keen to try one.

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
I would recommend Drake’s. Expensive, yes, but the fabric, collar and quality are solid. Kamakura has been recommended above, but compared point by point, the Drake’s OCBD simply blows it away. The collar is better than Kamakura’s flimsy one, the fabric is a much more robust oxford-weave and Kamakura’s small, yellow river shell buttons can not hold a candle to Drake’s beautiful MOP buttons. Granted, the Drake’s one costs twice as much. It can be had on the Archive sales for close to the msrp of the Kamakura, though.
Thank you. What are the Drake's Archive sales? I see a weblink to the 'Archive' but it's asking for a password.

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Mercer & Sons is my go to for Oxford cloth button downs and their other fabrics are outstanding, too. Made to order in USA. Old school fit. Personal service. Promotional pricing on your first shirt. David or Serena Mercer will answer the phone. Check out Mercer and tell them I sent you.
Thank you - Mercer look great, but being based in the UK makes things a little tricky on this front.

vikke977

Reaction score
Thank you. What are the Drake's Archive sales? I see a weblink to the 'Archive' but it's asking for a password.
It is only open intermittently. It might follow the end-of-season sales or then not. In the last year or so it has been open twice. Just keep an eye out and subscribe to their mailing list and you will be rewarded hehe.

tbbucsfan001

Reaction score
Lots of mentions of Kamakura, and its fit. What is it about the fit ? Are they considered large/oversize, or something else? I'm keen to try one.

Kamakura has a slimmer fit compared to the old, ivy brands which cut very generously. Mercer will work with you on sizing, though. I put a 17.5” collar on the body of a 17” shirt from them and it’s still big. Their sizing matches the old BB Traditional Fit. If you go one size down on the body, then it’s close to the current BB Madison Fit. The Kamakura 17.5” fits maybe just a little bit bigger than a Berg & Berg 44 cm collar Ferdinand.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does the sea island cotton differ from their regular oxfords? I have some of the “Sport” ones and while I like a lot about them, I just feel like the fabric is so thin. I have some years old oxfords from J Crew that have a much thicker, nicer fabric for half the price.
It's just a much nicer fabric. Heavier with a silky hand.

jeremygo

Reaction score
Thank you- i haven't seen much evidence to suggest an OCBD shouldn't have a pocket, but perhaps I'm wrong?
I believe Brooks Brothers started adding a pocket to their Oxford shirts in the 50s. So depending on what you view as the "golden age" of Ivy dressing (pre-war? early 60s?) you may have a preference towards a pocket or not. Most OCBDs I see these days have a pocket but if you get them made custom you could tweak of course.

I wear the same size (15.5) in Kamakura and Drakes but the Kamakura are definitely slightly more slim. Note that I only own the "Vintage Ivy" oxfords from Kamakura which may fit slightly differently from the main line. The collar length (3" for Kamakura Vintage Ivy) is definitely less substantial than Drakes but it still has a nice roll to my eye.

Last edited:

Johnny80

Reaction score
From Drake’s to Kiton ,Cesare Attolini ,Barba and Turnbull and Asser i would say best quality/fit/price remains Barba especially for a more slim fitted men, for relaxed fit CA or TA but those are in difference category, maybe if you find on sales, i dont know

jeremygo

Reaction score
Thought I'd provide an example of the collars from Drake's/Kamakura and how they compare to a vintage Brooks OCBD I have.

Vintage Brooks Brothers (dated late 50s/early 60s re: Sean from Crowley Vintage):
Brooks.jpg

Drake's:
Drakes.jpg

Kamakura Vintage Ivy:
Kamakura.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads