• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really solid shoes galileo, is this your first pair from Ugolini? How is the fit compared to your best rtw?

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really solid shoes galileo, is this your first pair from Ugolini? How is the fit compared to your best rtw?

Houses my protruding bones well and grip my thin heel in right place with extended heel contour I specified at fitting, a bit lack in arch support as expected, and missing the extra heel support cushion on left side.

galileo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mistakes like a different sole...!?...perhaps an unexpected return to the master?

Would be too troublesome for myself to send them back and resole, and somewhat making bespoke like omakase is fun ...
Last time when we met, we both forgotten the leather pick and the fitting shoe was in different pattern LOL

It turns out to be something like chunky American saddle oxford, or in friend's word "bespoke Alden". After-all that maybe how Italian works.

AlexWoodruff

Reaction score
VERY New to Bespoke shoes. 2 quick questions.

1.) Of course being able to go to the shoemaker directly is the best case scenario but if travel is difficult is it possible to still obtain bespoke shoes without going direct to the maker or does that defeat the purpose?

2.) I'm in Upstate NY, does anyone have suggestions to a reputable shop?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is your highest priority fit, styling, or construction quality?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Construction is easy, if you spend for the best Italian RTW. Fit is harder if you're doing it by phone.

The English makers all come to NYC a few times a year. Also, Perry Ercolino does some excellent work, and he goes to NY and travels a bit around the rest of the East Coast. Either way, you may have to make one or two trips south or east to seal the deal. Initial measurements, and then probably a fitting for the first pair. After that, e-mail can be your friend.

All those options are very expensive, though-- if you want to get your feet wet (heh), you might almost do better financially to fly to Vienna, Budapest, or Warsaw and get a pair or two made there. If you don't break even on the first pair, you will certainly do so by the second or third.

AlexWoodruff

Reaction score
Construction is easy, if you spend for the best Italian RTW. Fit is harder if you're doing it by phone.

The English makers all come to NYC a few times a year. Also, Perry Ercolino does some excellent work, and he goes to NY and travels a bit around the rest of the East Coast. Either way, you may have to make one or two trips south or east to seal the deal. Initial measurements, and then probably a fitting for the first pair. After that, e-mail can be your friend.

All those options are very expensive, though-- if you want to get your feet wet (heh), you might almost do better financially to fly to Vienna, Budapest, or Warsaw and get a pair or two made there. If you don't break even on the first pair, you will certainly do so by the second or third.

Okay great, thanks

Ric Borella

Reaction score
IMG_5799.jpg

IMG_5932.jpg

Dear Sirs, I announce my new Milan showroom in Via Monte di Pietà 21, near Via Montenapoleone. For more infos visit my web page https://www.calzoleriariccardoborella.com/

Thank you

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the churchill,
it look very very good,
me like cleverley style,
it look very unique

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I'm in Upstate NY, does anyone have suggestions to a reputable shop?

Late to this, but if you're in eastern upstate NY, you could try Dan Freeman Leatherworks in Middlebury, Vermont (Freeman was--maybe still is--the President of the Honourable Cordwainers' Company). If in western upstate New York, you could try Nasser Vies Shoes in Toronto. Both make good-looking, hand-inseamed, hand-welted bespoke shoes. From what I last heard, Vies's prices were especially reasonable for a hand-welted bespoke shoe.

More photos of Vies's work on his Wordpress. SF thread about him; DWFII vouches.

As Concordia says, there are plenty of bespoke options in NYC.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads