• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Asian Love Boat

mizanation

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I am of Chinese extraction; I also frequently find my other Asian-extracted compatriots to be slightly to awfully intolerable.

They should be heralded as the monarchs of suburbia, with their officious Church activities and vapid community events. However, when they want to be rowdy, they'll drink and drive their birthday gift BMWs to some second-rate nightclub, attired in Express Men, with their insipid girlfriends who don makeup which my mother refers to as monkey's posterior. Otherwise, their common-place ambitions are coupled with the typically entitled attitudes of those with greed in their genes.

If such a thing as the Protestant Medal of Dullness existed, I am quite sure the whole Chinese community--notably present at these Loveboat activies--would qualify as a draw.

^^^ that was nuts.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I don't think they will appreciate my views on the One China policy.

The Japanese and Korean ones sure the hell wont, particularly when the Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere is re-introduced - but in a way Japan never intended.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
This article should shed some light on the subject:

http://www.japantoday.com/jp/popvox/358

Possible explanations from random Japanese on the streets of a Tokyo neighborhood for why Japanese people (and by extension, most of Asia) make the V sign with their fingers when they pose for a photo:

"programmed in [their] DNA"

"foreigners mind-control"

"it makes [them] happy"

"it is cool"

"The origin [goes] way back [to Commodore] Perry, St. Francis Xavier, MacArthur, Winston Churchil and the Beatles"

it's "too boring to stand with a plain face, otherwise you just end up with a mug shot or ID picture"

"when you say 'ni' (に or 二 meaning "two") in Japanese, you open your mouth horizontally"

it's "a symbol of Japanese subculture"

"When I was small, my mom asked me to make the peace sign and say 'peace peace' whenever she took my photo"

"a V looks better than just clenching your fist"

"because of the hit song, 'The peace' by Morning Musume (a female idol group)"

"I can't give you any reason why I make the V sign"

"It is very difficult to talk about the science of idiotic gestures"

grahikarik002pt9.jpg

gramai018xb9.jpg

ymfinklgangmiyuneu1.jpg

viewnl8.jpg

and a new variation that would look utterly ridiculous done by anyone but 전지현:

dsc8387td8.jpg

Thats some pretty nice "V" you have access to there, Amerikajinda.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Thats some pretty nice "V" you have access to there, Amerikajinda.

Yeah...
laugh.gif
Those are just the tip of the iceberg! However I can't compete with Nantucket Red - that guy's one lucky bastard!

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dormouse
Yes, very.

I feel no need to expound on LabelKings statements as they're quite accurate, however acerbic they may be.

Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
but true.

Haha come on, the very fact that we're discussing this means that there exists Asians that don't fall into the trap. Do you guys really think we're the only ones?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I dunno, the V is a fob thing. Looks better than everybody trying to look super-cool and hard. Sideways for guys who can pull it off, straight up for girls. I'm working on a new fob gesture, double thumbs up by face with big grin, think borat. Results good so far.

Dormouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
Haha come on, the very fact that we're discussing this means that there exists Asians that don't fall into the trap. Do you guys really think we're the only ones?

I suppose it's somewhat of a blanket statement.

The general lack of any real 'personalities,' as LabelKing terms it, and the facetious desire for cultivation is rather offputting. A very homogenous group. I'm also appalled by their lack of taste but that can be said about most people I know. At least they're unrepentantly flamboyant about it. Again, this is perhaps an overgeneralization. I'm just speaking from personal experience which mirrors that of many Asian households.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those beggars wouldn't be presumed to know the difference between themselves and a large artichoke. I'd be pushed to say that the oversized artichoke would be more amusing.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uscndweek23bbeccor9.jpg

oh dang, this dude man this is wow girl is a mixture of milf and lol guy is just lol, fist clenched at his side walkman on waist (is that seriously a walkman?)

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like when Asians (under the age of 29, cute, and female) do it,

317475795762e5807421f77sh2.jpg

Well, that's possibly one out of three. And I'm not convinced about the one either.
devil.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Well, that's possibly one out of three. And I'm not convinced about the one either.
devil.gif

Well, you got me there... she could actually be in her early 30s, and upon reflection, I'd have to agree with you that she's not cute.... guess I was blinded by the eye makeup. At least give me the second one?:
486c1c56020002lt482433ca0.jpg

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh snap!
laugh.gif

You got me there... s/he could actually be in her early 30s, and upon reflection, I'd have to agree with you that s/he's definitely not cute. My bad!
bounce2.gif
I was blinded by the eye makeup. At least give me the second one?:

486c1c56020002lt482433ca0.jpg

Possibly. If she's the Hong Kong starlet/actress/singer who's currently pregnant with the HK bad boy of pop's sprog, then it's minus marks
smile.gif

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Possibly. If she's the Hong Kong starlet/actress/singer who's currently pregnant with the HK bad boy of pop's sprog, then it's minus marks
smile.gif

Agreed! I wasn't aware of the whole backstory, but +1 on the minus marks if she's the one...
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics