• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any type of case will fix that.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The worst part of the 6 so far for me is the protruding camera lens. I use my phone flat on my desk at work a lot and it wobbles like a motherfucker now.

Incredibly frustrating.

You need to get on that 12 South dock time, homie. I have one at home and one at work.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The nicest phone I've seen in years is the HTC One. That thing is a pleasure to pick up and hold.

The home button on the 6 looks archaic - like a rotary dial.

lefty

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The nicest phone I've seen in years is the HTC One. That thing is a pleasure to pick up and hold.

The home button on the 6 looks archaic - like a rotary dial.

lefty

I was considering the One remix, but it turns out the size is very similar to the 6 (in length and width - the 6 is significantly thinner). I'm a fan of HTC.

I think if someone (Apple or Android) came out with a full powered 4" model, it'd sell very well. Not saying there aren't a ton of people wanting the larger phone; just saying I think there are still a lot of us who don't.

I find that (wearing jeans) I have to re-position the phone in my pocket every time I sit down. When I'm standing, it has to be oriented vertically. When I sit, I have to turn it sideways. Trying to get it out of my pocket while driving was a real treat.

I've never been all that comfortable with carrying a phone in a back pocket, and I definitely wouldn't want to with the 6 - seems like I'd bend the thing over time. No idea if that's a realistic concern or not. But more surface area + thinner is a definite recipe for more broken screens.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does the phone being thinner correlate to an increase in broken screens? I get the surface area, just not the width.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think he's making the jump that it is harder to hold. I can hold my 5 so that the widest part is completely in my palm. Couldn't do that with the larger phone which would be at my first knuckle.

Or I was wrong.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All else being equal, thinner = more flex which leads to more broken screens. Obviously all else is not equal in that it's a totally new design vs. the 5, but the point stands - the thinner something is, the easier it tends to be to bend.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All else being equal, thinner = more flex which leads to more broken screens. Obviously all else is not equal in that it's a totally new design vs. the 5, but the point stands - the thinner something is, the easier it tends to be to bend.

If It flexes then wouldn't it be less likely to break than a completely rigid screen? That's why sapphire screens don't work on phones, the are so rigid that that have no give and shatter.

Again, I'm just guessing

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to hold the new phones, but I find it doubtful they would bend much at all unless the user goes out of their way to do so.

Agree on them being harder to hold, but I've always been in team case. A good one adds nice grip.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I held off on the HTC in the hopes that apple would make something beautiful. Little torn as ATT will give my 200 for an old pos 4.

lefty

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If It flexes then wouldn't it be less likely to break than a completely rigid screen? That's why sapphire screens don't work on phones, the are so rigid that that have no give and shatter.

Again, I'm just guessing

I'm talking the whole phone vs. just the screen. I have no idea whether the screen itself is thinner. I had the same thought regarding sapphire, though - most sources were saying it was a cost issue, but I wonder if Apple was worried they'd see too many broken screens if they made the switch.

I haven't had a chance to hold the new phones, but I find it doubtful they would bend much at all unless the user goes out of their way to do so.

Agree on them being harder to hold, but I've always been in team case. A good one adds nice grip.

Ordered a bumper on Amazon to hold me over until a bunch of cases hit the market and get some reviews. I'll say that I don't feel any flex in it. I would just be worried long term about having it in a back pocket and sitting on it.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
2 co-workers also got the 6 this weekend, and both agreed that it's at the upper limit in terms of size. Any bigger would be "too big", which I'd agree with. One of them also saw a 6+ and couldn't believe how giant it really is.

i feel like the 6+ caters to a certain type of person, mostly the nerdy tech-y types.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I held off on the HTC in the hopes that apple would make something beautiful. Little torn as ATT will give my 200 for an old pos 4.

lefty

There are some great deals on trade-ins this time around. Wonder how much that's influencing the record sales numbers....

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

lefty

While the 6 is my 2nd least favorite design they have done behind the 3G, I don't dislike it. It's better then most other phones on the market, but I did expect better.

The first HTC One, new Motor X and Lucia series are my current favorites in design outside of Apple.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I expect there to be a high exchange rate for 6+ from people who ordered online without knowing what they were getting into.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1