• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For those with the 6plus, does it fit in your pockets/easy to carry? My main concern about getting the big one is the carrying problems due to the increased size.

I work with smartphone apps and therefore do a lot of testing on various devices, including the Plus.

Imo, it is way too large to use comfortably. Add to that the fact that it's slippery as ****.

You'll feel it in your pocket for sure, and not in a good way.

The crew from Verge were surprised by how non "gimmicky" the 3D Touch felt with the time they spent. Most were ready to write it off but are now leaning towards it being a great feature.

The big question is why do the new iPads not have it? The Pro should at least. Isn't it supposed to be the feature packed pro device? You know this is coming in a revision at some point sooner then later.

Yeah I was surprised to see they omitted it in the Pro. One could argue that the demographic using the Pro could benefit from 3d touch the most.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's feature creep. To drive upgrades. Just like the advanced screen tech in the Pro will eventually make it to the iPad Air and Mini.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm still using 10.9.4 on my hackintosh, are there any compelling reasons to upgrade please?

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference between this 3d touch and force touch? I've been using the MacBook since it came out and almost never use the force touch.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is there a difference between this 3d touch and force touch? I've been using the MacBook since it came out and almost never use the force touch.

They're similar, but 3d touch has an additional layer. Force touch goes one level deep for 'clicking;' 3d touch, two.

When I had the Macbook, I used force touch all the time. I found it super useful. I'm surprised you don't find any utility in it.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really hate the new app switching UI. The only advantage it has is it's possible to see four apps instead of three. Otherwise it honestly feels like a step backwards to me.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're similar, but 3d touch has an additional layer. Force touch goes one level deep for 'clicking;' 3d touch, two.

When I had the Macbook, I used force touch all the time. I found it super useful. I'm surprised you don't find any utility in it.

I see. I wonder how hard it is to differentiate between the 2nd click and 3rd click then.

I used to use force touch to preview links but then the novelty factor wore off and I went back to just opening in a new tab instead of trying to look in the tiny window.

Also I cut my finger yesterday picking up my Macbook, those edges are sharp.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I see. I wonder how hard it is to differentiate between the 2nd click and 3rd click then.

I used to use force touch to preview links but then the novelty factor wore off and I went back to just opening in a new tab instead of trying to look in the tiny window.

Also I cut my finger yesterday picking up my Macbook, those edges are sharp.

3d touch will only have two clicks and not three, so, in a way, it should feel similar to force touch on the MacBooks where you get two levels of tactic feedback.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't follow this stuff but are they working on giving it infinite depth? My paintbrush thing doesn't really apply without infinite depth.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think that makes sense for the iPad pro and stylus where the levels of depth should be more continuous and fluid.

But for the phones, I can't see them implementing anything more than two levels of depth. Anything beyond that gets exponentially confusing.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On the low tech side, I got a stick figure Atlas for my Macbook and I'm pretty pleased with it.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Updated to iOS 9 and I'm liking it so far, including the new app switcher.

Can't wait to get my hands on my 6a and use force touch.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene