• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Better hurry while they are still on sale!!!

bgp001

Reaction score
^^ Better hurry while they are still on sale!!!
I know! Allison gave me 'til end of day to get my order in.

I was thinking:

Upper: Walnut Calf
Stitching: Chili
Welt: Chili Flat
Edging: Chili
Insole: Leather w/purple sock liner
Outsole: V-Tread
Heel: Dovetail Split

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Honestly it would be hard to go wrong with walnut or merlot, but I feel merlot would be way more versatile. If that is what you are going for...

green garden

Reaction score
Thanks Kahuna75 for the input. For the really looong walks, Ill probably wear my white leather jack purcells. But since I shouldn't wear the same shoe on consecutive days, I would like another comfortable walking shoe that hopefully looks nice as well (yes, the voyager is out based on that criteria). I'd like to look reasonably nice when I walk into shops for a bit of shopping.

I agree with the banchory, they use the same leather as the chukkamok and they are indeed buttery soft. I dont think the v-tread tap sole it uses will be the right sole for walking though as its still heavy when compared to rubber soles. Thanks for the idea of going unlined for more comfort.

For the nice dinners, I will probably wear the Strands or EC.
I realize this is an AE thread, but I would suggest you consider looking into Rancourt's offerings for your purpose. Their lactae hevea crepe soles are very comfortable. They have a made to custom program that basically gives you endless choices. Just another option.

ReubenR

Reaction score
I've got an old pair of Haydens, chocolate suede moc-toe chukkas with crepe soles that are incredibly comfortable for walking and standing in.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me the differene between heather grain and scotch grain?

Is one leather superior to the other?

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize this is an AE thread, but I would suggest you consider looking into Rancourt's offerings for your purpose. Their lactae hevea crepe soles are very comfortable. They have a made to custom program that basically gives you endless choices. Just another option.
Thanks, Ive been looking at some of their mocs as a possible option.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to have a more versatile shoe with a forgiving sole that I can wear with jeans, chinos and cords.

Three words: Plantation Crepe Sole. Feels like walking on a cloud.

I just returned from two weeks in Sicily/Malta/Rome and my AE Mojaves (unlined suede chukka, sadly discontinued but probably available on the 'Bay) were my workhorse sightseeing shoe.

Single leather sole + cobblestone = discomfort.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three words: Plantation Crepe Sole. Feels like walking on a cloud.

I just returned from two weeks in Sicily/Malta/Rome and my AE Mojaves (unlined suede chukka, sadly discontinued but probably available on the 'Bay) were my workhorse sightseeing shoe.

Single leather sole + cobblestone = discomfort.
Thanks for the recommendation. There is a Mojave in dark brown suede still available online for clearance ($147) in my size. I do have the Amoks though so Im hesitating on pulling the trigger as I'm concerned it will take the same space in my regular rotation. But yeah I can imagine walking with those all day long.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered an MTO.

Black Heather Grain (is this the same as black pebble grain or is this football leather?)
Tone on tone upper stitching
Copper Eyelets
Blue linning leather
Split reverse natural welt
Tan ink
V-tread

Hope this goes well!

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just ordered an MTO.

Black Heather Grain (is this the same as black pebble grain or is this football leather?)
Tone on tone upper stitching
Copper Eyelets
Blue linning leather
Split reverse natural welt
Tan ink
V-tread

Hope this goes well!

What's the shoe? Suspense...

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Oops.... It's a black McAllister in texture leather.

rc121

Reaction score

Just ordered an MTO.

isn't this something to find out before ordering? I don't believe its pebble grain since AE just calls it grain leather.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
BTW, just for fun this morning I was playing around with the customizer on AE's website - and I noticed that it still lists "grain calf" and even "alpine grain" as options (at least for the MacNeil). Perhaps they just haven't updated the customizer in a while?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads