1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mdubs, Feb 28, 2014.

1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Nice work blaster. Golden Brown looks really nice. It's not something AE stocks right? If not, how much is this MTO pair?

2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

This one looks interesting. Almost like a "naked" shoe. Would be a good summer shoe. But I think I'd like to see it with maybe a red dainite or gumlight.

Fantastic! Now that you've just gotten two new leeds and two new Lexingtons, each one in calf and CXL, can you tell me how you're going to be deciding when and with what kind of outfit to wear each pair?

3. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

Amazing. I have way too many plain toe bluchers already, but if I were to add one more - this would be it! Congrats, and wear in good health!

4. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Yeah the golden brown CXL is very rich with beautiful undertones. The Leeds in CXL is not a stock model, correct. To get them MTO'd in calf leather is $365

Yeah I was going for the "rough collection" look on that one. Not sure I'm digging the tan on tan with the leather and welt. I will probably treat the outsole and edges with conditioner so they darken, adding some contrast. I try to dress down all of my MTO's, which is why I usually opt for exposed eyelets and lighter leather colors (and sometimes natural edge dressing). I work in a very casual environment, which means raw denim for me pretty much every day or sometimes casual chinos... this is why I try to make all my MTO's as casual as possible. One guy at my work wears no shoes (I'm serious), I've seen other people wear sweatpants. Software...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  5. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Good Morning friends,
    Just wanted to share another amazing AE customer service experience. A few months ago, I have received my second MTO, a casual Leeds in distressed Olive with a white harrier sole. Unfortunately within a couple of week, the white outer sole started separating from the midsole. I emailed Allison to ask if this was something they could fix for me and she very quickly replied that they would take the shoes back and determine the issue. Once they received the shoes a few days later she called me again to communicate that they had noticed some issues with the bonding of the harrier soles and for that reason recently modified the process. For my shoes, however, it would take a recraft. He's the great part, rather then make me burn a recrafting, Allison offered to make a new pair altogether. With the option to have a new MTO made, she also allowed me to (dramatically) change the specs.

My original MTO:
    [​IMG]

Second run:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are also Leeds, but with Natural CXL, natural split reverse welt, khaki piping, and a red dainite sole. They also threw in orange laces, but those probably won't be staying on there [​IMG].
    I also have the Alden Natural PTBs on a double waterlock sole so I definitely do have some overlap; I just like CXL so much I couldn't resist, and these do have a dainite sole....
    One final note, AE's Natural CXL seems to have some type of glaze that Alden's CXL lacks, somewhat visible here:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, happy Saturday!

6. green garden

green garden Senior member

What is distressed olive? Suede?

7. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

It's the leather used for the Neumoks

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

It's a distressed leather that has a rougher look to it. No, it's not suede.

9. mdubs

Nice story Sub, I like the CXL shoes as well. I probably would have made that change, although I really want to try Golden Brown CXL. :) However, I have too many shoes and don't wear shoes casually too often.

-Mike

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Ah, this leeds story provides context to why my blue McAllister with the peeling red gumlight sole had to be completely remade, even though the upper was perfect. Allison was rather cryptic with me, but now I understand. There must have been a problem with the entire process.

11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Nice! Just wondering - are those dark patches on the eyestays as noticeable IRL as they are in your photos?

12. mdubs

I don't know, but they will be overwhelmed after the first wearing by the wrinkles that CXL gets. :)

-M

13. BCer

BCer Senior member

Mornin' Bl@ster. The latest MTO's are amazing, as ALWAYS. HOWEVER buddy, that yellowish-glow you get from your in-house photo studio HAS to go! Can you (for your favourite Canadian creeper - er, follower), take the last 3 or so pairs of MTO outside in that beautiful Pacific Northwest sunshine, and snap a natural light photo of these last few side-by-side? I'd love to see the real colours of these. You could have a shoe design career after you get tired of software - and of guys wearing no shoes. Lol.

14. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Hey Half, they are noticeably darker as seen in the pics and I'm not sure why. I've seen other pics of cxl shoes that were significantly darker as well, and my Alden CXLs have also gotten a lot darker all around. I'm perfectly fine with it as I think it legitimately "adds character" and it's uniform, but it is something for others to consider when ordering.

Maybe MWS knows why this happens? And, right, as Mike mentioned, the wrinkles will certainly soon overshadow!

15. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

I have had this happen twice. On one pair it wasn't all that bad so I just straightened it out with a needle nose pliers. The other was a pair of Leeds and it looked exactly like yours. Take a look, same eyelet too!

I took it to a local cobbler but he suggested he would need to take the stitching out on that side and replace all the eyelets. Sounded fairly complicated, and he didn't have eyelets that matched exactly anyway, so I sent them back to AE. They fixed it fairly quickly. This is now part of my inspection criteria, as wearing the shoes (even around the house) with a jagged eyelet can really scratch up the tongue.

I would send them back to AE and get them fixed properly.

[​IMG]

16. mdubs

I got my Brown Shell Strand MTOs back from AE yesterday. They fixed the edge coloring issue and then I asked them to re-run them on the burnishing wheel to fix the pinking that was standing up. A bit better but not perfect, much more tolerable.

Pics later... Got to go out for a bit.

-Mike

17. evolved

evolved Senior member

This is more of a preference question, I suppose, but I see a lot of people do MTO's with Leeds. Why not the Kenilworth? Both are PTB's but I feel that the Kenilworth is a much more attractive shape and I hardly see them in this thread, or the AE Appreciation thread. Maybe I'm the one that's off?

18. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

To me Leeds look like chunky American style shoes whereas Kenilworth look like sleeker European style shoes. I like my American made shoes in the American style (see also: Alden). You could say the Leeds are blobbier. The choice probably hinges on what kind of clothes you will most likely pair with the shoes.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  19. chris45

chris45 Senior member

lol sounds like my environment. I'm also more on the raw denim and chinos but slowly building up the wardrobe to include more.

Pretty much all of my AE are casual or very versatile .. just for this same very casual work environment.

I guess I need to look out for your MTO's more often..

20. evolved

evolved Senior member

I see your point. Outside of their boots, Aldens shoes all look blobby to me....but, I've got a long, narrow foot so blobby doesn't necessarily work for me.

I would likely wear Kenilworths to work (business casual) and wouldn't pair them with a suit when I need to dress up. The MTO that I'm thinking about would be golden brown CXL with the red Dainite sole. I figure I could also wear them with jeans, as well.