• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is the fifth street... I could have seen this in navy and/or merlot for sure. Normally only offered in brown and black.
This is more of an ankle boot, though. Is like to see a taller dress boot. The dressed up eagle county in calf is plenty dressy despite being a blucher.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Nice colour there but I don't love the shape.

Anyway, sometimes it's just the little things: derby boot, OK in itself, ski hooks on top OK but feels very utilitarian for a dark polished lightweight boot, and the plastic sole wouldn't have been my first choice either...any one of those things would be passable at that price, but not all of them.

So it's the chilli scotchgrain for me: double leather sole, tough leather, ski hooks...a versatile countrified boot for jeans and chinos and kicking pebbles. As a package, it's just a touch more consistent for me. I'll save the blue boot idea for another maker I think, though I admit I've agonised over it, and the merlot. The shell's too expensive and wrong sole. But I'm sure they will all bring great joy to their owners.

Last edited:

tjyoung

Reaction score

Anyway, sometimes it's just the little things: derby boot, OK in itself, ski hooks on top OK but feels very utilitarian for a dark polished lightweight boot, and the plastic sole wouldn't have been my first choice either...any one of those things would be passable at that price, but not all of them.

So it's the chilli scotchgrain for me: double leather sole, tough leather, ski hooks...a versatile countrified boot for jeans and chinos and kicking pebbles. As a package, it's just a touch more consistent for me. I'll save the blue boot idea for another maker I think, though I admit I've agonised over it, and the merlot. The shell's too expensive and wrong sole. But I'm sure they will all bring great joy to their owners.

Mimo, before you count out the navy, there may still be changes if we can get consensus among the group. Don't count it out yet.

gobeeKillr

Reaction score
I don't post pretty much ever in this thread, but I lurk like a MOFO. Is it still possible to get in the MTO for the brown ECs?

I got sized at 11D for 5 last shoes (strand/kenilworth/neumok), but they all fit differently, with the strands being the snuggest. This could very likely be because they are closed lace (even though neumoks are too). Is the EC last significantly narrower than 5 last?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Mimo talking about jeans? Heresy!

I had interest in the Navy for wear with jeans, chino's, and SC's/trousers. I think it wouldn't be out of place with a suit. The dainite sole is black. You can barely tell it's dainite if you're not the wearer.

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OFFICIAL UPDATE - AE SF GROUP MTO

There were a total of 39 respondents leading to a total of 54 orders. Here is the list of people who have STRONGLY COMMITTED to the following make-ups.

Make Up 1: Eagle County on Brown shell cordovan with tone-on-tone stitching; Chili flat welt; Mini-lug tap sole with leather midsole; medium brown edge dressing; brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks; Independence insole & lining; estimated price $725 (6 orders, potentially 5 orders if I cannot get confirmation from Rainmaker025)

@gg253
@ymmt
Rainmaker0725 (I could not verify this username in styleforum)
@tanbar
@FatTuesday
@gatszu

Make-Up 2: Eagle County on brown grain calf (1040) with tone-on-tone stitching; brown flat welt; black Dainite with leather midsole; medium brown edge dressing; brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks; leather insole & lining; estimated price $350-$395 (11 orders)

@Mossington
@jocs
@alexdell
@jzrhwinnj
@gg253
@heldentenor
@thromb
@Burzan
@Skshwin
@Albie31
@watchidiot

Make-Up 3: Eagle County on chili grain calf (1038) with tone-on-tone stitching; Chili flat welt with wheeling & fudging; Double butyl sole; Light brown edge dressing; Brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks; Leather insole & lining; estimated price $350-$395 (4 orders, potentially 3 if I cannot get confirmation from Rainmaker0725)

@mimo
@Mossington
@mdubs

Make-Up 4: Eagle County on navy calf with tone-on-tone stitching; Black flat welt with wheeling and edging; Black Dainite; black edge dressing; black eyelets and speedhooks, with the 4 top most being speedhooks; leather insole & lining; estimated price $350-$395 (9 orders)

@Mossington

@jch1
@jzrhwinnj
@gg253
@peppercorn78
@adamdurbin
@tjyoung
@ridethecliche
@Kahuna75

Make-Up 5: Eagle County Merlot calf w/ tone-on-tone stitching; Chili flat welt; Black Dainite w/ leather midsole; medium brown edge dressing; brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks; Leather insole & lining; estimated price $350-$395 (13 orders)

@Mossington
@evolved
@jch1
@GOP Shoe Guy
@jzrhwinnj
@gg253
@buckingpony
@1Ellis1
@polofitted007
@zombiesartre
@mrfixit
@Skshwin
@Kahuna75

Make-Up 6: Townley on brown shell cordovan w/ tone-on-tone stitching; brown flat welt with wheeling and fudging; Independence sole; Medium brown transparent edge dressing; Brass eyelets; Independence insole & lining; Brown flat waxy laces; $650 (8 orders)

@csmitty
@Burzan
@ScottyBoy920
@frankmartin
@polojock615
@gatszu
@Mean Mr Mustard
@halfnhalfnhalf

Make-Up 7: Townley on chestnut dublin 1573 w/ tone-on-tone stitching; chili split reverse welt; double leather with toplift; light brown edge dressing; Brass eyelets; Leather insole & lining; Brown flat waxy laces; $325-$395 (4 orders)

@jzrhwinnj
@jocs
@ScottyBoy920
@watchidiot

Pending confirmation of the minimum number of orders per spec, I would recommend to remove the chili grain EC and dublin townley from the current GMTO make-up list due to the potentially low volume of orders. I would recommend signees for these 2 models to have a look at the remaining make-ups and see if these would interest them instead.

The Brown Shell EC is also on bubble, but Ill keep it in as it still potentially has 6 orders.

I will submit these numbers to Paul for pricing. In the meantime, if minor spec changes on the welt color, edge color, and presence/color of eyelets are to be made, please do as long as nobody drops out. The baseline specs above already have the above committed orders, any changes hopefully should be consensus and would not result to anybody dropping out. TJYoung volunteered to steer the discussion for the navy EC.

Who can take up the lead for the merlot ECs as there was also a discussion on eyelet color

I can take care of shell townley as there was a discussion about the eyelets.

I will assume no changes to the shell EC and brown grain EC (which I personally think looks great as is).

If there is no consensus changes to the specs, then I recommend to keep it as is.

Results of the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.net/results/SM-8G2BKV8L/

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=FF0000]OFFICIAL UPDATE - AE SF GROUP MTO[/COLOR]

There were a total of 39 respondents leading to a total of 54 orders. Here is the list of people who have STRONGLY COMMITTED to the following make-ups.

[COLOR=333333]Make Up 1: Eagle County on Brown shell cordovan with tone-on-tone stitching; Chili flat welt; Mini-lug tap sole with leather midsole; medium brown edge dressing; brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks; Independence insole & lining; estimated price $725 (6 orders, potentially 5 orders if I cannot get confirmation from Rainmaker025)[/COLOR]

@gg253

@ymmt

@tanbar

@FatTuesday

@gatszu

[COLOR=333333]Make-Up 2: Eagle County on brown grain calf (1040) with tone-on-tone stitching; brown flat welt; black Dainite with leather midsole; medium brown edge dressing; brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks; leather insole & lining; estimated price $350-$395 (11 orders)[/COLOR]

@Mossington

@jocs

@alexdell

@jzrhwinnj

@gg253

@heldentenor

@thromb

@Burzan

@Skshwin

@Albie31

@watchidiot

[COLOR=333333]Make-Up 3: Eagle County on chili grain calf (1038) with tone-on-tone stitching; Chili flat welt with wheeling & fudging; Double butyl sole; Light brown edge dressing; Brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks; Leather insole & lining; estimated price $350-$395 (4 orders, potentially 3 if I cannot get confirmation from Rainmaker0725)[/COLOR]

@mimo

@Mossington

@mdubs

Rainmaker0725 (I could not verify this username in styleforum)

[COLOR=333333]Make-Up 4: Eagle County on navy calf with tone-on-tone stitching; Black flat welt with wheeling and edging; Black Dainite; black edge dressing; black eyelets and speedhooks, with the 4 top most being speedhooks; leather insole & lining; estimated price $350-$395 (9 orders)[/COLOR]

@Mossington

@jch1

@jzrhwinnj

@gg253

@peppercorn78

@adamdurbin

@tjyoung

@ridethecliche

@Kahuna75

[COLOR=333333]Make-Up 5: Eagle County Merlot calf w/ tone-on-tone stitching; Chili flat welt; Black Dainite w/ leather midsole; medium brown edge dressing; brass eyelets and speedhooks, with the 3 top most being speedhooks; Leather insole & lining; estimated price $350-$395 (13 orders)[/COLOR]

@Mossington

@evolved

@jch1

@GOP Shoe Guy

@jzrhwinnj

@gg253

@buckingpony

@1Ellis1

@polofitted007

@zombiesartre

@mrfixit

@Skshwin

@Kahuna75

[COLOR=333333]Make-Up 6: Townley on brown shell cordovan w/ tone-on-tone stitching; brown flat welt with wheeling and fudging; Independence sole; Medium brown transparent edge dressing; Brass eyelets; Independence insole & lining; Brown flat waxy laces; $650 (8 orders)[/COLOR]

@csmitty

@Burzan

@ScottyBoy920

@frankmartin

@polojock615

@gatszu

@Mean Mr Mustard

@halfnhalfnhalf

[COLOR=333333]Make-Up 7: Townley on chestnut dublin 1573 w/ tone-on-tone stitching; chili split reverse welt; double leather with toplift; light brown edge dressing; Brass eyelets; Leather insole & lining; Brown flat waxy laces; $325-$395 (4 orders)[/COLOR]

@jzrhwinnj

@jocs

@ScottyBoy920

@watchidiot

Pending confirmation of the minimum number of orders per spec, I would recommend to remove the chili grain EC and dublin townley from the current GMTO make-up list due to the potentially low volume of orders. I would recommend signees for these 2 models to have a look at the remaining make-ups and see if these would interest them instead.

The Brown Shell EC is also on bubble, but Ill keep it in as it still potentially has 6 orders.

I will submit these numbers to Paul for pricing. In the meantime, if minor spec changes on the welt color, edge color, and presence/color of eyelets are to be made, please do as long as nobody drops out. The baseline specs above already have the above committed orders, any changes hopefully should be consensus and would not result to anybody dropping out. TJYoung volunteered to steer the discussion for the navy EC.

Who can take up the lead for the merlot ECs as there was also a discussion on eyelet color

I will assume no changes to the shell EC and brown grain EC (which I personally think looks great as is).

If there is no consensus changes to the specs, then I recommend to keep it as is.

Results of the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.net/results/SM-8G2BKV8L/

Sorry but I can only commit to one so will need to be removed from the EC brown grain. It's going to be a hell of a makeup and it sucks to have to come off it. Maybe Paul will come with some really tempting prices.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Mimo, before you count out the navy, there may still be changes if we can get consensus among the group. Don't count it out yet.

I will keep an eye for sure, but it's moving further away from what I was looking for so far (addition of black eyelets, for example). Anyway, never say never, especially as that sweet chili scotchgrain make up has just been terminated...

Mimo talking about jeans? Heresy!

I had interest in the Navy for wear with jeans, chino's, and SC's/trousers. I think it wouldn't be out of place with a suit. The dainite sole is black. You can barely tell it's dainite if you're not the wearer.

I wear jeans. Just not denim ones, because I'm not working on building a railroad, as a cowboy, or in some kind of penal colony. Each to his own. :)

The Dainite is not a big deal, I have a couple of pairs of shoes with Dainite or similar soles. But it's a matter of consistency again: a rubber/plastic sole is an extreme bad weather choice in my book, I always prefer leather otherwise. And when I saw WI's sweet navy captoe I imagined it filling a smarter role in my wardrobe than the two Dainite/Vibram soled derby boots I already have. Single leather sole, blind eyelets, no speedhooks would have made sense to me. But not to others, and that's fine too - and I might yet re-imagine it as something casual and knockabout, but I think I prefer the merlot version with its brass eyes and double sole for that.

Last edited:

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OFFICIAL UPDATE - AE SF GROUP MTO

Make-Up 6: Townley on brown shell cordovan w/ tone-on-tone stitching; brown flat welt with wheeling and fudging; Independence sole; Medium brown transparent edge dressing; Brass eyelets; Independence insole & lining; Brown flat waxy laces; $650 (8 orders)

@csmitty
@Burzan
@ScottyBoy920
@frankmartin
@polojock615
@gatszu
@Mean Mr Mustard
@halfnhalfnhalf

@watchidiot - Thanks so much for taking care of this! In regards to the eyelets on the Townley, I would prefer blind. Also - in regards to the sole - does anyone else have anything with the independence sole? I have 60-ish pairs of AEs and I actually don't have any with this sole. Just wondering how it wears in comparison to a JR single or double sole?

Thanks!

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@watchidiot - you should also ask about Patriots in green shell cordovan. I would kill for a pair of those.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
@csmitty
@Burzan
@ScottyBoy920
@frankmartin
@polojock615
@gatszu
@Mean Mr Mustard
@halfnhalfnhalf

@watchidiot - Thanks so much for taking care of this! In regards to the eyelets on the Townley, I would prefer blind. Also - in regards to the sole - does anyone else have anything with the independence sole? I have 60-ish pairs of AEs and I actually don't have any with this sole. Just wondering how it wears in comparison to a JR single or double sole?

Thanks!

It's exciting to see this getting close to fruition.

I'm in no matter what for the shell Townley. But . . .

* I continue to prefer blind eyelets
* I have the same question as @polojock615 re: Independence sole - would rather have JR single
* I would prefer "regular" brown waxy laces to the flat ones

Like I said, though, even with the specs as enumerated, I would be in.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No worries I will update the count. I am hoping we can get some discount - maybe even ask for RDA type discount since that is fast approaching.
It's exciting to see this getting close to fruition.

I'm in no matter what for the shell Townley. But . . .

* I continue to prefer blind eyelets
* I have the same question as @polojock615 re: Independence sole - would rather have JR single
* I would prefer "regular" brown waxy laces to the flat ones

Like I said, though, even with the specs as enumerated, I would be in.
I will set up a PM discussion to everyone in on the shell townleys.
@watchidiot - you should also ask about Patriots in green shell cordovan. I would kill for a pair of those.
I believe rancourt dyes their own shell apart from the black, brown and #8.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@watchidiot
 - Thanks so much for taking care of this!  In regards to the eyelets on the Townley, I would prefer blind.  Also - in regards to the sole - does anyone else have anything with the independence sole?  I have 60-ish pairs of AEs and I actually don't have any with this sole.  Just wondering how it wears in comparison to a JR single or double sole?

Thanks!

I have 2 pairs with Indy soles, and 4 pairs with JR soles. I find that they wear similarly. In fact, the Indys might be slightly tougher. I also find them more comfortable due to the tread pattern (looks like a simulated 270 degree welt).

If I had to chose, id go for Indy. Perhaps @mdubs can chime in as well, since he's an expert. I believe he chose Indy soles for his shell MTOs.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads