• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Actively Discovering 'New' Brands" Thread

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If any of you are in Galway, you should checkout the handmade Aran sweaters at O'Maille (apparently pronounced Omalia ).

There is a vast tactile difference between the handmade Arans sweaters and the machine made ones. The handmade sweaters feel much denser, tighter knit and demonstrate a more pronounced raised pattern than their machine made counterparts. It is a heavy coarse sweater. Nonetheless it is beautiful and well priced at just below 200 euro.

Furthermore, the number of women who can knit these patterns is dwindling (and they probably don't live on the Aran islands).
http://thewildgeese.irish/profiles/blogs/the-guardian-of-the-aran-knitting-tradition

Some tips if you are interesting in buying a handknit sweater from O'Maille.
1) There are some fit variations from sweater to sweater, even in the same size. It's best if you are there in person to try them on. For example, I tried on a roll neck sweater - the body fit well but the neck was too tight for my head.
2) They will ship to the U.S.
3) If you like a particular style, you can make it to order. https://www.omaille.com/aran-sweater-order-form/
But it can also be more risky give the potential variations in fit.

Further reading

http://dieworkwear.com/post/64122505540/the-making-of-a-meaningful-stitch

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/guar...teps-to-ensure-the-skill-is-not-lost-1.254961

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jmalog

Reaction score
I'm a tie maker from Mexico, but has anyone ever heard about Mexican brands/makers? Or is my country pretty much dead in terms of menswear :/

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The have some nice ties too. The shantung block stripe and donegal untipped.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just saw this interview of Brooklyn Tailor.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/b/c172b489-cc73-489d-bf07-628782bbd5d7

Anyone heard about them before?

Yea, they make hip, short, mod-ish/ Thom Browne-y suits. Kind of reminds of of the Thick as Thieves stuff that used to be popular here.

They have a RTW line at shops like East Dane and Barney's. Can't tell if they do MTM or bespoke. I always assumed they were doing MTM, but from some of the interviews, it sounds like they do in-house bespoke?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like they do in house bespoke for $1700 which sounds too good to be true. I suspect they use one of the NYC factories to make that price point. I was wondering if people had more insight. They seem to be getting quite a bit of press.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It sounds like they do in house bespoke for $1700 which sounds too good to be true. I suspect they use one of the NYC factories to make that price point. I was wondering if people had more insight. They seem to be getting quite a bit of press.

Hm, gave them a ring. So it looks like the suits are made in Nepal. It is a full bespoke service, although they start with a muslin fitting. Slightly unconventional for suits, but I assume it helps them nail down their pattern when the factory is so far away.

Forgot to ask who drafts their pattern (someone in the US, in-house, or overseas), but the person on the phone confirmed that it's hand drawn from measurements, not produced via CAD.

dazedstate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hm, gave them a ring. So it looks like the suits are made in Nepal. It is a full bespoke service, although they start with a muslin fitting. Slightly unconventional for suits, but I assume it helps them nail down their pattern when the factory is so far away.

Forgot to ask who drafts their pattern (someone in the US, in-house, or overseas), but the person on the phone confirmed that it's hand drawn from measurements, not produced via CAD.

Thank you for that. I've been intrigued by them for a bit. Not really the style I'm after but those prices are tempting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads