• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well.... if you go with that option, your boots will out live ya! LoL.... I'm sure that you have a footwear rotation like..... me ( hand slapping the desk).
So, have given the boots at CNES here in Singapore. Their suggestion, which I have accepted, is that they will remove the translucent lug (all the rubber) and the stitching, stitch the welt and midsole and then slap on a thick Vibram topy (which will cover the stitching) and matching Vibram top lifts on the heel, thereby not requiring a full resole. I do not need the cork changed and all that that goes into a full resole. Turnaround is about 5 weeks (due to CNY holidays) so will report back here once the work is done.

MrOxford

Reaction score
So, have given the boots at CNES here in Singapore. Their suggestion, which I have accepted, is that they will remove the translucent lug (all the rubber) and the stitching, stitch the welt and midsole and then slap on a thick Vibram topy (which will cover the stitching) and matching Vibram top lifts on the heel, thereby not requiring a full resole. I do not need the cork changed and all that that goes into a full resole. Turnaround is about 5 weeks (due to CNY holidays) so will report back here once the work is done.
It sounds to me that you are adding a midsole and then adding a sole guard (Vibram). My thought is why not remove the AE outsole entirely? It's some sort of a plastic with wood like texture outsole. Have CNES put in a house leather outsole plus a leather midsole and add the Vibram sole guards. The leather midsole would provide extra cushion as you walk. The Vibram heels are a good choice.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me that you are adding a midsole and then adding a sole guard (Vibram). My thought is why not remove the AE outsole entirely? It's some sort of a plastic with wood like texture outsole. Have CNES put in a house leather outsole plus a leather midsole and add the Vibram sole guards. The leather midsole would provide extra cushion as you walk. The Vibram heels are a good choice.
In my current setup, only the translucent rubber goes away, stitching is redone which holds the welt, midsole and wood textured plastic outsole together and the space vacated by the translucent lug is filled by the vibram rubber topy. Less work for the cobbler, less cost and adequate for 1 wear a month with the current rotation!

PANJ

Reaction score
Getting a break from snow and rain so giving the Normandy a turn today.
3B8CB99A-41DF-402A-8189-3CF08122FD33.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In my current setup, only the translucent rubber goes away, stitching is redone which holds the welt, midsole and wood textured plastic outsole together and the space vacated by the translucent lug is filled by the vibram rubber topy. Less work for the cobbler, less cost and adequate for 1 wear a month with the current rotation!
My sole is doing just fine.
IMG_8246.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Thursday forum pals. Non-AE violation but I liked the photo.

IMG_3618.jpg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gobi chukka day today. Tan saddle leather.

IMG_7477.jpg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Patina goals... These got a little muddy, so recently received a wipe down followed by a suede/nubuck eraser. You can see it removed some of the burnishing from the left toe. Grrrrrr.

If anyone has any suggestions on caring for these, I'm all ears. Until then, they will be treated with wear and tear only.
IMG_5982.jpeg
IMG_5984.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patina goals... These got a little muddy, so recently received a wipe down followed by a suede/nubuck eraser. You can see it removed some of the burnishing from the left toe. Grrrrrr.

If anyone has any suggestions on caring for these, I'm all ears. Until then, they will be treated with wear and tear only.
View attachment 2123457 View attachment 2123459
Rub it with your hand to impart some oils and flatten out the nap

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fifth Streets from eBay arrived.

SMU color seems to be “burnished bourbon.” I stripped some of this off with isopropyl alcohol and then polished with AE Walnut. (Also: countless rounds of Bick 4 and wax for the toe caps.) Not bad—still might just dye these dark brown. Changed into them for my evening class…

IMG_3319.jpeg
IMG_3352.jpeg
IMG_3355.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads