• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you also used Renovateur on CXL? If so, how would you say it compares?
Can't help you there. This is the first Saphir product I've ever used on any footwear. Until this point, my conditioning shelf was either AE Leather Lotion, Bick 4, or VSC with the occasional saddle soap and leather honey for more stubborn work boots.

I used to use AE Leather Lotion on standard calf, Bick 4 on CXL, and VSC on shell. But, once I ran out of Leather Lotion I just went with Bick 4 on everything except shell. Now? I think I'll keep the Saphir Greasy Cream going for CXL, VSC for shell, and then Bick 4 on the remainder. I just feel like CXL and shell are the only leathers in my collection that benefit from more specialized conditioners. Everything else is fine to use a "kinda good on everything" conditioner like Bick 4. Any more options than what I'm currently using probably would make my tiny brain hurt and take up memory space that's better dedicated to thinking about tacos, Schwarzenegger movies, and increasing my literary output of self-published vampire/furry crossover erotica.

I have zero science to back any of this conditioning lore up. I have not compared ingredient lists. I haven't done any taste tests. I don't own stock in any of the companies that produce these. I'm just a lone Donkey with a very uninformed opinion on such matters and a very casual rotation of footwear. So, probably best not to follow my example without doing your own "research" first, especially if you need to keep your stuff looking more pristine than I do.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also went with OG CXL Higgins today.

IMG_7456.jpg

Rockies from the other day and probably be wearing them tomorrow, expecting 2-4 inches of snow on Friday.
IMG_7453.jpg

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have a pair of 30+ year old Sorel boots for real winter weather, back when they were made in Canada. These days whenever possible I avoid activities that require such footwear. "Shoveling" snow with my Can Am Outlander and 54" plow can be done in driving mocs.

Newly resoled Navy Hamiltons today.

View attachment 2112955
Beautiful! May I ask who you used to resole them - assuming that these were previously Dainite? Thanks.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rarely wear black, but figured I could pull it off today. CXL Stirlings on trans lug. Not pictured is a Grayers loden wool blazer that AE had on deep discount a few years back. Typically too warm for Central Texas weather, but today was perfect for it. Now... To not sweat ****** off inside the building.

Saw Donkey mentioned Bick 4. I've been really happy with this on CXL. Worried anything else adds too much shine for my preference. Also LOVE lathering the insides of shoes and boots to soften the linings. Has worked on everything but calf Daltons. Those MFers stayed tough until the day I sold them.
IMG_5916.jpeg

IMG_5917.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been really happy with this on CXL. Worried anything else adds too much shine for my preference. Also LOVE lathering the insides of shoes and boots to soften the linings. Has worked on everything but calf Daltons. Those MFers stayed tough until the day I sold them.
I've had the exact same experience with a pair of calf Daltons. They just won't give in, no matter how I treat them. I can't even seem to figure out if it's the uppers that are tough or the lining or a combination of both. I put a generous amount of conditioner on the inside this past weekend to see if that helps at all. I doubt it.

Wore these today in honor of @St Hubbins and because more snow came down that I'll need to shovel off and it's not icy enough to need the Alpine monkey boots and their Arctic Grip soles. These are a pair of the 3187 version Higgins Mill waxed suede I nabbed in lightly used condition off of eBay a few months ago. Based on the pictures you showed in your post, the actual color on these is much closer to the light version you desire. I think it's a case of AE having their usual bad photographs. Of course, this photograph is pretty awful, given how much the surrounding snow is giving my iPhone fits. So, it's kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. Or brown, in this case.

Don't get me wrong, they are dark brown. They're just not dark-dark brown. It helps that when the wax breaks down a bit and you can see the suede, there are some nice reddish tints that lighten the look up. I'd imagine your pair with the different product number will look pretty much identical to these. Not sure what color laces will come with yours because mine weren't new. I swapped in this flat waxed pair I had from Guarded Goods a long time ago. They're really too short and only hit on 2 of the 3 speed hooks, but they match the welt fairly well and help bring a lighter look. If yours are ever skewing darker than you'd like, give the laces a change to something lighter. It helps.

As an aside, I bought these as kind of a beater boot that I figured I'd wear when I was kicking around the workshop and didn't need my steel-toe pair. But, they've really grown on me for regular use. I wear them out to concerts and bars and other venues. They look a lot better than the pictures from AE show and it's nice to know you essentially have a bulletproof pair of boots on that can get dinged up and spilled on and then fixed later with a new coat of wax. Just know that the wax only looks pristine for about 17 seconds after a new application dries and then it goes back to living in a semi-distressed state until the distressing gets to be too much of an eyesore and then you re-wax and start all over again. Waxing is a fun process and I'm always happy to break the heat gun out. Could I use a hair dryer? Sure! But, c'mon, who wouldn't rather use a heat gun if they had it? You can wax your boots and then go outside and remove badging from your car with it and then maybe strip some paint off that old dresser in the garage you've been meaning to refinish. Plus, you get to inspire fear in anyone who comes near you. Common sense dictates you should steer clear of a man with a heat gun. He's got things to do. Hot things.

This is my first pair of waxed suede and I wasn't sure what I'd think of the material in general. I'm a pretty big fan after this experience and can see possibly adding another boot or two later on with the same material. In fact, I thought about picking up another dirt-cheap pair of brown snuff suede Freeport boots from ShoeBank and just waxing the hell out of them. I mean, sure, they're already weatherproof, so I'm not getting any benefits from the wax other than aesthetics. I just think they'd look pretty great. If I get drunk enough some night, I just might do that before the Freeport disappears for good (and I still say it's a travesty that AE is discontinuing this model).

Anyhoo, it was a really nice pickup on your part. I hope you dig them as much as I do. I'll try to take a better picture later on today after I'm done shoveling.

IMG_7458.jpg

EDIT: Here they are in better view after shoveling the driveway. Should give you a closer look at what the color is really like in outdoor lighting.

IMG_7459.jpg

Last edited:

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR if button boots triggered you, what does this do to you??

A very formal Park Avenue in black…
As a sneaker…
With no-show socks…
With bicolored laces…
With joggers…
And a t-shirt…

I know, I know. No sense of fashion. Yet another “Florida man” story.
😃😎😃
IMG_3748.jpeg
IMG_3747.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JFWR if button boots triggered you, what does this do to you??

A very formal Park Avenue in black…
As a sneaker…
With no-show socks…
With bicolored laces…
With joggers…
And a t-shirt…

I know, I know. No sense of fashion. Yet another “Florida man” story.
😃😎😃
View attachment 2114263
View attachment 2114265

...LOL.

Okay, I will say this: Because the black leather just looks like a normal black sneaker in this instance, I don't think it's especially terrible. I'd have to squint to notice that it's the same pattern as the PA.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some new stompers in the mail last night from Zonkey Boot. These are in Horween’s Russian Calf leather.

One of these days I’ll post some actual AEs lol. I’ve got a $240 credit that’s going to go bad soon, but I’m just haven’t seen anything I can’t live without. Also doesn’t help that I’m just wear my work boots every day at work.

IMG_4155.jpeg
IMG_4156.jpeg
IMG_4157.jpeg
IMG_4158.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got some new stompers in the mail last night from Zonkey Boot. These are in Horween’s Russian Calf leather.

One of these days I’ll post some actual AEs lol. I’ve got a $240 credit that’s going to go bad soon, but I’m just haven’t seen anything I can’t live without. Also doesn’t help that I’m just wear my work boots every day at work.

View attachment 2114269 View attachment 2114271 View attachment 2114273 View attachment 2114275

Those are really cool. I like the belts on them, gives them a kind of rock and roll feel.

I go to a lot of night clubs that, were these in black, these would fit right in.

The only downside is I am not a huge fan of Zonkey Boots selling stuff like elephant skin boots and ****, but that's neither here nor there.

dc_slicker

Reaction score
Can’t tell from the pictures and I don’t see it in the description.. what’s the material on the top of the sole. Is it leather or some type of fabric.

Anyone has these?

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Beautiful! May I ask who you used to resole them - assuming that these were previously Dainite? Thanks.
I used AE. I understand the concerns of many here on replacing the welt. I've always had good results with AE, and given my age and the size of my collection I doubt I'll ever actually wear out a sole again in my life. Good God, can I admit I have accumulated over 60 pair of just AE boots with over 40 of them in shell?!? I don't have a problem, have you seen @AEfaninTampa or @FatTuesday??? Not me?!?

BTW, DMC Shell Landons today....

Landon_DMC.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchaslimprix