Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Don't this has been posted yet. Here's an interview with the man himself from a while back.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I don't think it's mentioned in the clip, but in another article he's apparently done some stuff with Arcteryx too, and considers them the shit: “Arc’teryx products are the Hermès bags of men’s performance wear,” declared ­Errolson Hugh, the chief designer of ACRONYM, a sporadic Arc’teryx colla­borator and one of the pioneers of the field. “They embody a fanatic level of ­perfection. No other brand in the world even ­comes close to their quality.”

2. sipang

sipang Senior member

I think that quote is from the 032c feature on Arc'Teryx, it's a pretty good read, I'll try to post it later

3. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

You are correct sir (I found this thing but didn't even notice the source). Link: http://032c.com/2011/archetype/

4. crackerjack

crackerjack Senior member

^ I can vouch for outlier pants, have 3 pairs and they're great.
    Using the three way shorts as swimming pants (going to the beach, that stuff) and it's just perfect since it dries really fast- nice if you want to sit on your towel or in the car when you just had a swim. That's some 1st world functionality for you.

Last edited: May 30, 2012

5. sipang

sipang Senior member

Well, when you have a niche industry like this one, the same couple of names are bound to pop up again and again and again, especially when they have been instrumental in the development of said industry.

For the lazies

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

just such an impressive guy. Nice to see him wear the stuff and be so enthusiastic about it.

7. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

yeah, i always thought he was a very serious person from the video campaigns. nice to see him in a different light.

8. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Slightly OT, but still in the technical theme. I posted about this in another thread, but Bagjack makes some great looking messengers. Check out the features of the Next Level Messenger. It's no wonder Errolson Hugh chose to partner with them to produce some of Acr's bags. I was hot on this Bagjack but wound up getting an Acr 5TS.

Btw, there are some good dealers for Acr in N. America like Haven, but I ordered through Hanon. They're good to deal with too, and the stuff came in a fair bit cheaper than domestic sources.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

9. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

i wouldnt know how to put it back together after i took it all apart :eek:
    so do they make bags for acr or was it just a 1 time collaboration? a lot of similarities..

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I like the functionality but I just think it's an ugly bag.

Even the ACR messenger things seem pretty bad looking to me. I can't get past the long strap over the shoulder thing. Only seems to look good on satchels.

11. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

I believe some models of Acr's bags like the 5TS have gone through iterations with fabric / design tweaks over the past few years and have been made by Bagjack over that period. I happen to like most of their bags, but can see how they may not be as attractive to some peeps.

12. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

so spatlese, are you in N.America? did hanon shop deduct the VAT and how was customs on your purchase?

13. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Yep, western Canada. Hanon deducted VAT and was 'friendly' regarding the customs part of your q. :)

An important factor -- they used domestic mail vs. say Fedex or UPS, so it came through Canada Post with no customs. This was my experience with a few orders, and I would venture if Canada Post even paid attention, the charge would still be minimal.

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

thanks bud. good to know they use post instead of the other couriers. :)

15. Tigerprawn

Tigerprawn Senior member

I'm not full on techy, but I do own quite a few pieces from Outlier. I echo what someone else said regarding the Climbers being incredibly stretchy and just too form fitting for me. I don't normally wear skinny/slim pants so these were a no go. However, I can totally understand why people who like those cuts would love them because the freedom of movement is pretty absurd. I tried them on and felt like I was wearing running tights. No constriction whatsoever.

Outlier Keirin Cut Dungarees

Awesome pants and something I've now come to wear nearly everyday. Roomier thigh if you've got more developed/muscular legs, but still a slimming fit. Breathable, repels grime and liquids, and really just looks like some regular pants. The softness is borderline sweatpants comfort.

Outlier 3 way shorts

Best damn shorts I've ever bought. I think the "4Seasons" fabric works much better here in shorts than in the climbers. I've cycled, swam, ran, lounged... They're just the best damn shorts ever. My only gripe is that there is no odd sizing. 30-32-34 etc.

Outlier Merino Henley

Just an overall really nice merino piece and fits great. I seem to get a lot of compliments with this piece if that means anything haha

Also own a bit of Rapha which I think makes some great stuff, but a little overpriced for what you're getting in comparison to other brands. More cycling centric, but they do make pants, jackets, and shirts that would work well out of the saddle. The cuts fit me really well so I keep going back. If you can get the stuff on sale I think it's worth it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012