1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. nineohtoo

nineohtoo Senior member

^Right on for bringing up the WM BLK line in RFT. Some really dope stuff. Any other pics, maybe even of you wearing that? I've only seen the camo NDG fishtail, which I don't think unzips apart like that.

I'm really happy with the UC M-65 I posted in WAYWT. The tag says It's 100% cotton, but it's treated with something polyurethane based and feels like a hard shell. It's got taped seams with the "we make noise not clothes" slogan throughout and it doesn't have the UC patch on the chest like some of the other versions of it or the leathers from the same time. The darted sleeves is a nice touch too.

I just need this to complete my technical military jacket trifecta since my current fishtail parka is wool(I've got the TOJ1/MA-1 in goretex):

[​IMG]

2. London

London Senior member

I've had that NDG parka sitting in my closet and never worn it.

3. fps

fps Well-Known Member

The w+h dyntex lined mountain parkas from a few seasons ago are great. I've used one on a bike in Irish rain for years, and aside from looking a little worse for wear it's held up quite well.

4. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Why not?!?! I love mine, really rain repellent. Funky fit, but it's pretty wearable. Have any more NDG pieces on the techier side?

5. fps

fps Well-Known Member

There were a bunch of tech-centric NDG pieces on the UK ebay there a few months back. When the went under they must have gotten rid of some remaining stock in London, as there's often interesting bits floating around over here.

6. Dapp

Dapp Senior member

Sorry if I missed this from before, but how much was it? Looks awesome.

7. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Not outerwear, but I picked up a Nanamica wind shirt. Pretty cool design, mesh paneling and coolmax fabric. Too bad that still isn't good enough for Georgia summers.

8. bluep

bluep Active Member

9. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

It's more of just an outer shell I believe. So unless your winters only get like 60 degrees, you'd probably want something more substantial.

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It won't be warm by itself but it will be waterproof and protect you from the wind, and you can always layer underneath to get that warmth.

11. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Heard mix reviews about the RO padded bomber...

Check this out, new from AR :drool:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. reedobandito

R? like what I'm seeing.

What brands/models do you guys look to for tech footwear? Want something sleek/black/tech fabric, only thing I can think of is Nike Frees or their Flywires.

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Aloha Rag, $2,100

Get on it Reedo!

14. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

nonnative, diemme, raf are some options for footwear i guess.
    i guess if you're actually running in them then its a no-go

15. reedobandito

Not running lol. Post some pics of tech footwear guys!

16. snowmanxl

snowmanxl Senior member

my raf vandals in nylon :teach:
    i think raf is great for tech apparel. neon colours and all that shiny stuff!

tons of cool looking nike stuff for a more streetwear tech instead of luxe tech

17. sipang

sipang Senior member

Not down with luxe tech, although the old raf velcro hi are nice. Nikes are the obvious choice, Domapproved too...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

so...Anyone want to have a discussion on the merits of the various technical fabrics?

The more I read, the less I can understand why any of the smaller labels use Gore-tex. The patent expired years ago. Are we all really slave to a label that much? The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the high quality garment manufacturing factories are somehow tied up with gore-tex. This was hinted at in the article Spatlese kindly linked earlier in the thread. Errolson Hugh certainly seems to think that the details of manufature in Arcteryx (pretty much exclusively Gore-tex) warrant accolade - things like the waterproof zippers, laser cutting, microseams, taping etc etc all contribute to the quality of the garment, even if the starting fabric isn't any better than that of its competitors.

Some thoughts based partly on my experience, and partly on reading up:

• Goretex double layer outer shell is very light, very waterproof, if a little delicate. OTOH, it's kinda noisy
    • The gore-tex patent has expired and there are many branded and unbranded companies offering the same or better fabric (DWR coated type) for cheaper than gore tex.
    • From what I understand, Ventile is not as waterproof, but is more hard wearing and is much quieter than the coated (gore-tex type) fabrics. Ventile can become soaked in very, very heavy rain - while it will keep the water out, the fabric itself becomes saturated which can cause you to cool down rapidly.
    • Ventile is also a branded product. There are many other fabrics that work on the same principle; very fine fabric so tightly woven that water droplets can't pass through, but water vapour can. I believe the Ma.strum micro sateen comes under this category. Grenfell fabric is another example. The same general theme; these are usually harder wearing than the DWR type fabrics, don't require re-coating, and are quieter. On the other hand, they are usually not quite as waterproof.
    • The degree to which these things need to be waterproof is far, far overstated, unless you're living under a waterfall. Most of these fabrics will keep you dry in even the strongest of rain.
    • Another thing to keep in mind is that the design of the garment itself can often help with ventilation. This means that some, say waxed or rubber fabric garments can often expel humidity even without being technically breathable. A poncho, for example, has many entry and exit points for air.

Each product has its strengths and weaknesses. Most will keep you dry, but none of them will keep you warm. The general theme is that, beneath your waterproof breathable outer layer (whichever fabric you spring for), a nice thick insulating layer (a warm knit, for example) will keep you warm, and beneath that a wicking material (e.g. a merino baselayer) will wick away your sweat and keep it from cooling you down when you stop moving. Add in a smock between the insulating and waterproof layers, and it should keep you warm in most places above freezing, so long as you also have appropriate legwear.

I realise most of you don't care because these are fashion garments, but it's still nice to know how you should wear them in the zombie apocalypse.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
    2 people like this.
  19. fungz0r

fungz0r Senior member

Another good point to bring up with discussing the waterproofness of a fabric is how well it also breathes. From my experience Gore pro shell is pretty much rubber over your body, unless they've changed something recently I can't say it was breathable at all. I only have experience with gore, but right now I've been looking for a new jacket for the rain/snow and I really can't seem to find any better designs than Arcteryx gear, it seems like they've pretty much perfected that niche market, I just wish they offered other fabrics as an option.

20. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I've found the goretex i've used to be quite breathable, but i've always used a layer in between so I wouldn't really be able to tell.

snippet from the article that Spatlese linked

I.e. if you want the technical production advances that brands like Veilance are so good at implementing, it's difficult to access them when you're not using Gore.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012