• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife has an Icebreaker and it seems to hold up fine. It was before their move to China though, so maybe quality has declined.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score
Right now my tech outerwear consists of:

- Triple Aught Design Ranger LT
- Triple Aught Design Spectre LT
- Patagonia Super Pluma II

Thinking of moving away from my military/LEAF like style and get back into classy/civi/fitting looking pieces of outerwear. Not sure where to start... Maybe MW Orion or move into some of the Veilance?

From the past few pages, the Isaora 3L, Veilance and Acronym line looks like the place to start. Didn't like the 14' for Acronym and don't know where to start looking for that.

EvanM

Reaction score
How do you like the TAD Ranger LT?
I've been thinking of picking one up to use as a beefier version of my Arcteryx Fugitive hoodie.

You might want to take a look at Aether apparel as well.
I don't think they use the most hardcore of technical materials, but their styles are a bit more fashion-oriented.

BuffaloWang

Reaction score

How do you like the TAD Ranger LT?

I've been thinking of picking one up to use as a beefier version of my Arcteryx Fugitive hoodie.

You might want to take a look at Aether apparel as well.
I don't think they use the most hardcore of technical materials, but their styles are a bit more fashion-oriented.

I really like my Ranger LT and it's probably one of my most worn jackets. It'll keep me warm with just a tshirt under it at 40 degrees. I could go down to 30-35, but would probably want a base layer instead to be a bit warmer.

Polartec works amazingly and it's definitely windproof [you do get the occasional gust that gets in through the armpit vents tho]. It's also extremely water resistant and will take on quite a bit of rain.

It's functional as well with two arm pockets, two chest pockets, hunter's pocket on the back, and left forearm pocket.
Fit is athletic/slim but still allows for a good amount of movement.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Isaora shells suitable for skiing?

How do they fit in terms of length. What in their sizing corresponds to a 42L jacket size (6'2", 185)?

EdwardB

Reaction score
You could feasibly do Medium or Large, depending on how you layer. The two guys who fit model are on the larger side of Medium/small side of Large (so like..40-42ish) so the Mediums tend to fit a little larger than other brands. I'm the same height as you, about 10lbs lighter, normally wear a 40L and I can fit into a Medium with enough room to layer underneath. If you plan on wearing some sort of down or whatever under the shell, I'd go Large.

Last edited:

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple more questions:

• Any idea if Isaora is going to do a black friday sale? If so, do sizes sell out quickly based on past experience? Someone asked but I don't think anyone ever replied.
  • Anyone have any direct experience with NemeN? Is it as "technically" well made/better than other brands in the price range, or is more of the cost tied up in dyeing techniques / fabric effects?
  • Any other recommendations in the $700-$800 range for either a full blown parka or shell/insulated jacket combo? I am looking for something that will make me want to go outside in what is shaping up to be a repeat of last year's Chicago winter. Something that is respectable for skiing would be a plus but I could see myself getting separate ski vs. city stuff.

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For this season's arc'teryx veilance, I'm guessing only the Patrol and Sinter IS coats can withstand snowstorms? And is there any ungodly chance they'll go on sale during Black Friday? Thanks

SuEd

Reaction score
Any recommendations for face masks? I'm looking to upgrade.

Icebreaker?
Couple more questions:

• Any idea if Isaora is going to do a black friday sale? If so, do sizes sell out quickly based on past experience? Someone asked but I don't think anyone ever replied.

They had one last year. This time though the official website is the only stockist so items may sell out quicker

For this season's arc'teryx veilance, I'm guessing only the Patrol and Sinter IS coats can withstand snowstorms? And is there any ungodly chance they'll go on sale during Black Friday? Thanks

The veilance website never goes only sale but they have a long list of stockists that will offer deals (e.g. thecorner has already started and some items are selling out). All veilance shells can protect from snow.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads