• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in Winnipeg, and occasionally spend time in various areas of northern Canada.

Trudat!
TO used to hit -20 to -30 C windchills every winter while I was up there, winterpeg's gotta be higher than that.

Last edited:

dlm4114

Reaction score

My father is a party member. I don't pay taxes. I have seen extreme weather, but only on youtube. Most of my technical clothing is for my museum, and, thus, carefully stored in custom mylar suiting bags. Though I hear from some of my Norhern Chinese ('sup Beijing) brethren that dog is a suitable cold-weather stew meat. ymmv
ha fwiw i lol'd at a few of your posts and generally agree. it's the same general idea (for me at least) as guys who wear altimeter/barometer/GPS/1000m WR watches on nautilus machines at la fitness
Who makes good, slim-fitting technical outerwear that can tolerate -30 to -40°C?
i would contend that slim-fitting outwear suitable for -40 is impossible/a contradiction in terms. that's no-joke cold. canada goose makes nice stuff that goes pretty deep though
i was wondering what meekus has been up to lately BTW -- is there an online store anywhere on nanamica.com? i couldn't find one... also, do you guys have any preferred online sources for more niche brands like white mountaineering?

Last edited:

SuEd

Reaction score
BTW -- is there an online store anywhere on nanamica.com? i couldn't find one... also, do you guys have any preferred online sources for more niche brands like white mountaineering?

Nanamica online store: Mens, Womens

For niche brands the best places to start are with the official list of stockists (call or check the site e.g White Mountaineering's — scroll to the bottom) and fashionsauce

dlm4114

Reaction score
^^ thanks for the help

btw -- has anyone purchased the nomad pants on here? wondering how the fit/fabric/quality compares to outlier stuff, particularly 60/30s, Slim Ds, or OGs

dlm4114

Reaction score
ya, couldn't find anything on this thread. there's more info on the outlier thread but the only comment i could find re: fit was that it was comparable/possibly better above the thigh but might need tapering below, with not much about the quality. was hoping this thread (since it's for all tech wear) would have someone who could give more info

or if i am missing where it is in this thread, could you link it? searched "nomad" and nothing came up

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An affiliate had 50% on the current season NC the other weekend, see nc thread. (and that weekend only).

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The hardshell = douche stereotype meme has been going on for a while:
but that's why you pay the extra for Veilance, Outlier, Acronym etc as most people won't recognize it's a hardshell and are just looking at you and your silhouette instead of a logo...
You can poke fun at every fashion that's ever been conceived. The trick is to do things well and with enough of your own personal context that it's not pretentious, right? TBH, I don't think a logo - even one as obtrusive as Arcteryx's - really ruins the look techwear. I don't know why you wouldn't want people to recognise a hardshell as a hardshell. Part of the fashion is utility. It's not pretentious or obnoxious, it's just part of its appeal.

wizzeak

Reaction score
Anyone handled a Mission Workshop bag?

Looking for pack for a vagabonding trip but would like to kill like four birds with one stone and use it for day hikes, school and general commuting as well so I don't want the typical outdoor look.

The bag itself is already on the pricey side and I don't want to spend $500 getting all the attachments. I might only get one, a waist buckle and a shoulder strap.

Would you say the pack is still good taking away all add ons? Seems to me they were made with the intention of having most if not all add ons.

Last edited:

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I live in Winnipeg, and occasionally spend time in various areas of northern Canada.

In temperatures that cold, I wouldn't care what I looked like, as long as was warm.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ya, couldn't find anything on this thread. there's more info on the outlier thread but the only comment i could find re: fit was that it was comparable/possibly better above the thigh but might need tapering below, with not much about the quality. was hoping this thread (since it's for all tech wear) would have someone who could give more info

or if i am missing where it is in this thread, could you link it? searched "nomad" and nothing came up

Ok was in wrong thread.... but quality wise they are the exact same thing, same 4way stretch schoeller fabric as in ogs but actually better stitching on the nomads + slimmer upper block and ime minimal difference in hem width, ogs do seem to break in faster though hence why hem appears wider I guess, hth's.

Last edited:

SuEd

Reaction score
Great thread.

I'm very new to techwear, and am looking to pick up a softshell. After looking through this thread for a while I can't find any (current) suggestions for decent mid-range ones. Can anyone recommend anything that runs about $200-300?

I discovered this beauty (pic related) while reading up, but am gutted to find out that I'm a year late to the party for it... As an aside, if anyone has a lead on where to get one please PM me! (And apologies if this isn't the place to post such a request).

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions regarding a soft shell, I'm all ears! Need to pick one up before things get too cold.

I'll keep reading this thread and hopefully I can contribute something of value in the future.

Pic:

There is an XS on dogdays.underpass and an M on Rakuten. The Bureau Belfast has an all black colorway. I should caution that it's a lightweight shell not really suitable for winter...

There are way too many softshell options lol. It's best to just set aside a few hours, go through all the current season collections, mark a few that catch your eye, then ask/look for reviews on those particular selections.

You can poke fun at every fashion that's ever been conceived. The trick is to do things well and with enough of your own personal context that it's not pretentious, right?

TBH, I don't think a logo - even one as obtrusive as Arcteryx's - really ruins the look techwear. I don't know why you wouldn't want people to recognise a hardshell as a hardshell. Part of the fashion is utility. It's not pretentious or obnoxious, it's just part of its appeal.

The issue is that logos brings a brand's baggage into your own personal context over which you have little control. There's been a bit of discussion in the Canada Goose thread over the meaning imbued in the logo within the Toronto context. Another example is the perfectly functional Burberry check trench coat which for many years had a 'chav' connotation in England. Logos are a slave to fashion. On the flip side there are Acronym jackets that even without the logo tape are unmistakably hardshells. You can still project that personal style without a logo.

p.s. perhaps chinesealpha's father could chime in about logos that can get you killed ;)

Last edited:

flahertongs

Reaction score
There is an XS on dogdays.underpass and an M on Rakuten. The Bureau Belfast has an all black colorway. I should caution that it's a lightweight shell not really suitable for winter...

There are way too many softshell options lol. It's best to just set aside a few hours, go through all the current season collections, mark a few that catch your eye, then ask/look for reviews on those particular selections.
Thanks so much for your ninja searching! Would've definitely copped the one on Rakuten but it's sold out. XS is way too small for me... I saw the all black colorway but I don't like the branding on the back.

Far too many soft-shell options, agreed...

The search continues...

dlm4114

Reaction score

Thanks so much for your ninja searching! Would've definitely copped the one on Rakuten but it's sold out. XS is way too small for me... I saw the all black colorway but I don't like the branding on the back.

Far too many soft-shell options, agreed...

The search continues...

what kind of fit are you looking for? i ask only because it might help narrow down your search. for example, i think patagonia stuff is pretty well-made (and in your price range), but the fit is a little too boxy for me personally

Ok was in wrong thread.... but quality wise they are the exact same thing, same 4way stretch schoeller fabric as in ogs but actually better stitching on the nomads + slimmer upper block and ime minimal difference in hem width, ogs do seem to break in faster though hence why hem appears wider I guess, hth's.

thanks man that's pretty much exactly what i was looking for. might give them a shot since the OGs are out in my size

anyone have any info on these guys? found them putzing around the other day. seems to be in the same vein as outlier et al

www.makersandriders.com

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads