• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

SuEd

Reaction score
isn't it all about staying dry?

The hardshell = douche stereotype meme has been going on for a while:

but that's why you pay the extra for Veilance, Outlier, Acronym etc as most people won't recognize it's a hardshell and are just looking at you and your silhouette instead of a logo...

chinesealpha

Reaction score
nod[1].gif

I don't see whats more douche-y in wearing cheaper hard shell compared to spending $3k to achieve about same effect. Especially if he is going to talk behind the guy in bright orange saying "Look at that douche wearing Arc'Teryx."

Nothing douchey about going below top-tier.

For me, it's more a question of whether your clothing reflects a lived-in reality or tries to project a fantasy uber-ego. I don't wear full team kit to go ride with my friends just like I don't wear a gore mountaineering jacket to rake the leaves. I can integrate some technical pieces into a fit and feel fine about it. But most of the time, in the city, a hardshell is overkill. So is a climbing-derived daypack with 17 straps. The brighter and more zipper-laden the hardshell is, the worse it looks to my eye.

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing douchey about going below top-tier. 

For me, it's more a question of whether your clothing reflects a lived-in reality or tries to project a fantasy uber-ego. I don't wear full team kit to go ride with my friends just like I don't wear a gore mountaineering jacket to rake the leaves. I can integrate some technical pieces into a fit and feel fine about it. But most of the time, in the city, a hardshell is overkill. So is a climbing-derived daypack with 17 straps. The brighter and more zipper-laden the hardshell is, the worse it looks to my eye.

I live in Vancouver, BC.. fact is that it rains basically all the time.. arc'teryx was designed here. Hardshells are more of a necessity than anything else.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chinesealpha should getting a dog for not eating purposes and take it for a walk 3 times a day for a year in northern climate and then report back on clothing needs.

flahertongs

Reaction score
Great thread.

I'm very new to techwear, and am looking to pick up a softshell. After looking through this thread for a while I can't find any (current) suggestions for decent mid-range ones. Can anyone recommend anything that runs about $200-300?

I discovered this beauty (pic related) while reading up, but am gutted to find out that I'm a year late to the party for it... As an aside, if anyone has a lead on where to get one please PM me! (And apologies if this isn't the place to post such a request).

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions regarding a soft shell, I'm all ears! Need to pick one up before things get too cold.

I'll keep reading this thread and hopefully I can contribute something of value in the future.

Pic:

chinesealpha

Reaction score
Chinesealpha should getting a dog for not eating purposes and take it for a walk 3 times a day for a year in northern climate and then report back on clothing needs.

I'm currently sunning myself on a breezy beach in Grand Cayman. Wearing nothing but puppy leather trunks (bespoke) and a gauzy silk shawl. Playful beachy cover ups and a closetful of flip flops (also bespoke) are all I need.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm currently sunning myself on a breezy beach in Grand Cayman. Wearing nothing but puppy leather trunks (bespoke) and a gauzy silk shawl. Playful beachy cover ups and a closetful of flip flops (also bespoke) are all I need.   

You forgot to ad, while hiding from the Chinese IRS.

So what you are saying, is that you know nothing about the needs, of someone living in the cold north.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All I've ever seen in the wild is nf, cg & regular arc, and mostly in dark colors, but I must admit that whenever I see that guy with the oversized bright red cg with coyote fur hood it does look a bit douche, especially when its not even raining/snowing, or that cold outside.

Last edited:

dwyhajlo

Reaction score
Who makes good, slim-fitting technical outerwear that can tolerate -30 to -40°C?

ceoceo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also on the look out for slim fitting outerwear that can make me pork chops and sandwiches.

You are talking a temperature that is COLDER than night temperature of Arctic zone of Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Last edited:

chinesealpha

Reaction score
You forgot to ad, while hiding from the Chinese IRS.

So what you are saying, is that you know nothing about the needs, of someone living in the cold north.

My father is a party member. I don't pay taxes.

I have seen extreme weather, but only on youtube. Most of my technical clothing is for my museum, and, thus, carefully stored in custom mylar suiting bags. Though I hear from some of my Norhern Chinese ('sup Beijing) brethren that dog is a suitable cold-weather stew meat. ymmv

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads