• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technical Outerwear

quasky

Reaction score
Interviewing Errolson Hugh for Business of Fashion next week - anyone have anything in particular they'd like me to ask him?

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This kickstarter seems promising. Seems similar to outlier shorts but with a more athletic short style rather than chino shorts.

I seriously don't understand the need for this product in the world, but apparently I'm in the (vast?) minority since they raised $70K in 72 hrs. (literally).

On another note, have you guys checked out the Giro New Road* stuff? Clean designs. I like the Wind Shirt a lot (sold out now) and the shorts are awesome. Fall line drops soon, w/ some more layers and some pants. Sort of like Rapha/Outlier vibe, but with it's own subtle look. Nice that some pieces are made in the US, too.

*Disclaimer: I did some work on this project w/ Giro, but I am not a Giro employee.

rjbman

Reaction score
Interviewing Errolson Hugh for Business of Fashion next week - anyone have anything in particular they'd like me to ask him?
  1. What are some places you take inspiration from?
  2. Do you plan on expanding the business to a point where everything is more easily available (cheaper?) or do you prefer it to stay the smaller operation it currently is?
  3. What other designers do you respect and why?

quasky

Reaction score
interview is up here: http://www.businessoffashion.com/2013/09/acronyms-uncompromising-focus-on-function.html

rjbman, re: your questions, 1 & 3 sort of fell outside the purview of the article and errolson was on a super-tight schedule, so unfortunately i didn't get the ask them. re: 2, you won't see the price of acronym decrease or become more widely available. if anything, i anticipate you'll see it become tougher to get ahold of.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is useless, unwanted and unimportant like most kickstarters. i find the concept of kickstarter totally morally devoid. let me help finance something that i will have to buy later on. doesn't make sense. isn't this what vc is for?

I seriously don't understand the need for this product in the world, but apparently I'm in the (vast?) minority since they raised $70K in 72 hrs. (literally).

On another note, have you guys checked out the Giro New Road* stuff? Clean designs. I like the Wind Shirt a lot (sold out now) and the shorts are awesome. Fall line drops soon, w/ some more layers and some pants. Sort of like Rapha/Outlier vibe, but with it's own subtle look. Nice that some pieces are made in the US, too.

*Disclaimer: I did some work on this project w/ Giro, but I am not a Giro employee.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
god knows you can't get a decent workout in $5 macgregor shorts and tank tops. will these shorts improve my squat 1 rep max/

VCircuit

Reaction score
this is useless, unwanted and unimportant like most kickstarters. i find the concept of kickstarter totally morally devoid. let me help finance something that i will have to buy later on. doesn't make sense. isn't this what vc is for?
Clearly it's not unwanted since people are buying it; I'm not sure how morality enters into buying gym shorts; financing the project buys you the shorts, like most Kickstarters; venture capital is at least as controversial as Kickstarter.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
at least a vc sometimes gets their investment back. and your argument is invalid. people also watch james franco movies and those are unwarranted

VCircuit

Reaction score
at least a vc sometimes gets their investment back. and your argument is invalid. people also watch james franco movies and those are unwarranted
Odds seem pretty good that people who invest in these shorts will receive them as promised; No, your argument is invalid; James Franco demonstrates that most of our economy runs on vending needless things, so I don't see why this irks you. VCs are more than guilty of this; there are at least as many needless, failed social networking startups as Kickstarters.

Tigerprawn

Reaction score

god knows you can't get a decent workout in $5 macgregor shorts and tank tops. will these shorts improve my squat 1 rep max/

Gotta disagree with you on this one Kunk. The shorts got a nice amount of stretch and are quick drying... So even though they're called "gym shorts" I'd end up using them for any outdoor activity really like cycling for backpacking. Travel with these would be awesome too since they look casual enough to wear with a tee or even possibly a short sleeve button up, wash at night, dry by morning. At least that's how I treat my Outliers when I had them. I see myself using these less in the gym and more for outdoor activities or casual wear.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, they would greatly improve the hiking I don't do

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Odds seem pretty good that people who invest in these shorts will receive them as promised; No, your argument is invalid; James Franco demonstrates that most of our economy runs on vending needless things, so I don't see why this irks you. VCs are more than guilty of this; there are at least as many needless, failed social networking startups as Kickstarters.

i' m just sick of crowdsourced horeshit. now all the bad ideas have 2nd acts.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Gotta disagree with you on this one Kunk. The shorts got a nice amount of stretch and are quick drying... So even though they're called "gym shorts" I'd end up using them for any outdoor activity really like cycling for backpacking. Travel with these would be awesome too since they look casual enough to wear with a tee or even possibly a short sleeve button up, wash at night, dry by morning. At least that's how I treat my Outliers when I had them. I see myself using these less in the gym and more for outdoor activities or casual wear.

Walking around in nature wearing shorts and hiking boots is ok for a Butt magazine editorial but everywhere else you look ******* stupid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads