Technical Outerwear

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by hendrix, May 23, 2012.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

In other words both VC and kickstarter shit is awful? I can settle on that. The problem with crowdsourcing is that now everything has this fake "democratic" tinge while everyone still knows that VC investment is a big bad finance cocksucker thing and not some answer to the proletariat.

2. VCircuit

VCircuit Well-Known Member

In complete agreement; the marketing of crowdsourcing as "democratic" has more to do with the political leanings of America's technorati than anything real; it is just some Web site where people sell you iPad stands.

3. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Please, more arguments based in sweeping generalizations. They bring us closer to understanding things.

I think the Oliver's KS project is stupid because, IMO, various products just like that exist--despite what they say in their video. And I agree that there are tons of stupid KS projects.

But unlike VC efforts, KS stuff is ostensibly only brought to market if enough people buy in. Don't like it? Don't buy it. At least there's a "democratic" element to the idea of voting with your dollars.

I'm sure there are plenty of VC efforts that have brought useful, and no doubt very valuable (monetarily), projects/businesses/etc to life. But the success-to-failure ratio is pretty bad, and no one's asking if the world needs another mobile app/cloud storage/social media updating product in the market. They're betting on them.

Both "platforms" have successes and failures. Casting either (or both) as stupid or worthless or evil is just a massive oversimplification for the sake of argument. Which is fine. But it's far from a thorough POV on either.

4. scamster

scamster Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

5. TrackRunner

TrackRunner Member

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

It goes against everything the idea of democracy stands for (one PERSON one vote not one dollar one vote) and approaching democracy like it is about consumers and not citizens is a great problem in itself.

7. habitant

habitant Senior member

fuck, i'll never look that cool.

8. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

An important and valuable point of clarification. But we're not talking about public policy or elected officials. We're talking about a marketplace scenario, so I don't think my example was radically off--and the quotes were meant to at least give a nod to the fact that I wasn't using the word in its most appropriate fashion.

I'll shut up about this now...

Thank you for putting this thread back on track.

9. scamster

scamster Senior member

ha! wasn't too sure about this a/w collection but the video does make it look cool, might end getting one or two pieces ;)

10. delluminatus

delluminatus Well-Known Member

I can't comment on that piece specifically but I bought this wool and down parka from them at the start of this season (anticipating a cold Wisconsin winter). In terms of quality I would rate them alongside Arc'teryx, although ISAORA definitely has a different aesthetic. ISAORA retail is pretty expensive, but on a sale I think their stuff is a good deal especially if you like the "look."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  11. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Who's making a nice and light white shell?

Nice being well made, not over designed, minimal branding. and waterproof

Light being something that stuffs into a sack, it's own pocket, etc.

12. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Rapha's Wind Jacket and Stone Island's Blouson Ghost Piece might fit the bill. Both are on end-of-season sale so grab them while you still can.

13. habitant

habitant Senior member

Dotcommzzz go to mec on broadway. Forget about looking good. You're in Vancouver now.

14. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

both looking a little see through. i also need a hood

NEVER!!! okay maybe if i have to.

15. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Try the Giro New Road waterproof jacket. They make a white colorway. No hood tho. Pretty light, but if you want a true waterproof/breathable fabric you're not gonna get the same packability as just a wind shell.

Honestly, white AND waterproof might be tough. Arcteryx??