• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tasty, healthy, cheap and quick

tlaxa

Reaction score
I know it's a pretty big paradox, but I'm quite certain there must be taste, healthy, cheap and quick foods. (Although it'd probably have to be a compromise)

So far, all I've got is supermarket-made chicken loaf on a sandwich, with celery/cucumber/tomato on the side.

And maybe a quarter roast chicken from the supermarket, with bread and raw vegies.

Anyone else want to throw out any ideas?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I need something quick I'll sometimes have a Peppridge Farm Premium chicken pot pie. Really good. Comes in a microwaveable container.

hi-val

Reaction score
California Pizza Kitchen has gourmet 'zas for about $6. I'd obv check the nutrition label but a spinach and articoke pizza at least has the illusion of healthy food.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not make large batches of food on the weekend? I'll usually make salads and pureed soups that will last through until friday. It completes my meals at dinner and when I need a snack I eat that instead of junk food. In the same vein, you could make batches of chili or stew, which would keep well all week. Boeuf bourginon will actually improve with age. If all this is too much work for you, there's always stir-frys...

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a few of my favorites....in the vein of Rachel Rae's 30 minute meals, although I am not a fan of her shows.....

1> Make rice, heat up some black beans, add fresh chopped onion, green pepper, cheese, salsa, and hot-sauce. It requires 2 pots, or 1 pot + rice cooker, but it's fast and healthy.

2> Shrimp Creole...... make rice. Chop onion, green pepper, and celery. Sweat them in a skillet. season w/ cajun spices (lightly). When they're done, mix them into a can of crushed tomatoes. Add cajun spice to taste, and some tobasco. Sautee the shrimp w/ more cajun. Mix in the crushed tomatoes and vegetables when it's done...warm up the tomatoes....pour over the rice.

3> Salmon w/ pesto.....make fresh pesto on the weekend (olive oil, pine nuts, basil, and a pinch of parm. (optional)). Rub on salmon and bake. Put over pasta w/ pesto if you want.

4> Snapper or grouper en papilliote..... put some butter, white wine, tarragon, julliened veg. (carrots, zucchini, onions-frenched), lemon juice, and a piece of seasoned fish into a piece of parchment paper. Fold along the seam (probably a good online demo of this technique available). Bake for 5-10 minutes depending on fish.

5> Pot roast in a crock pot.....dump stuff in in the morning.....eat it when you get home. It really doesn't get any easier than that.

6> Tuna over black bean chili. You can make the chili ahead of time, but it takes about 15 minutes on the fly.... can of black beans, some shredded cheese, hot sauce, chili powder, and salsa into pot. Stir and warm. Then throw some of the chili powder on the fish for seasoning ...(or some standard cajun mix like tony cacher's) ....(in college I actually used to use the tuna steaks that came frozen...since you're actually cooking it through, they're okay with enough seasoning)....and sear to medium-rare. Throw on some tortillas for garnish.

7> If you live in LA or Hawaii, there is great takeout sushi pre-made and cheap.

8> Chef's salad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads