• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is my yearly rebalancing period and it is tough. I am starting a new job so I lose some 401k match but make up for it in salary. This then throws those asset classes out of whack. Add to that a new 401k not starting until 2015 so I need another way to save. Then there are other small bits and pieces here and there that have made me scratch my head a bit. It is fun to say the least.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really need to rebalance again.

the 401k essentially takes care of itself (ML has self balancing features and it is all fairly broad funds so balance is easy to find), but it is only one portion of the total. What is hard is trying to plan and balance across accounts...especially since for instance, both my IRA and my 401k hold some form of S&P500 index. So while I can't flow funds between them, I can increase or reduce S&P500 holdings in the IRA to balance its total value against the 401k.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really need to rebalance again.

the 401k essentially takes care of itself (ML has self balancing features and it is all fairly broad funds so balance is easy to find), but it is only one portion of the total. What is hard is trying to plan and balance across accounts...especially since for instance, both my IRA and my 401k hold some form of S&P500 index. So while I can't flow funds between them, I can increase or reduce S&P500 holdings in the IRA to balance its total value against the 401k.

Similar to my situation. Currently have 4 accounts but with transitioning my 401k to a Trad. IRA I will have 5. There is a lot of the S&P overlap but it is hard to get REITs and Bond exposure at the lowest cost.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aren't any of those other 4 accounts an IRA?

Could you roll the 401k into one of those in order to keep the numbers down?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen rolling a 401k into a Traditional IRA but read somewhere if you pay the tax now you can roll it into a Roth IRA. Roth IRA's are good if you expect to earn into another tax bracket which we are close to so that may be the route we take.

hye

Reaction score
what stocks should I buy? anyone have any hot tips?

Last edited:

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sold my Pioneer and CenturyLink... picked up some some OZM for just over $12/share -- was trading for over $15/share earlier in the year. Pays a fat dividend! :slayer:

Decided to sell all of my OZM at $13.37... a gain of $1.29/share since I picked it up at the end of April.

Picked up 5,000 shares of Orexigen ($OREX) because their weight-loss drug Contrave
00ae.png
is expected to be approved by the FDA on June 10th.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2239863-orexigen-will-run-heres-why

Last edited:

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OREX has no discernable patents.

That's a good point... it does have a $12 price target though! :happy: That's almost double the $6.40/share I just paid... so please keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited:

laxer8

Reaction score
OK need some investing advice/help and not sure if this is the right place to post. New into the professional job market (couple months now) and don't have too much to invest. Maybe a couple thousand give or take. What should I be looking at doing currently? Obviously I'm looking at making the most I can from it within the shortest amount of time, but tips and tricks from my finance courses in college are slipping my mind right now. Stocks have always interested me, but not entirely sure of techniques and such for best trading investments.

Any advice on what I should look into? Or multiple options?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK need some investing advice/help and not sure if this is the right place to post. New into the professional job market (couple months now) and don't have too much to invest. Maybe a couple thousand give or take. What should I be looking at doing currently? Obviously I'm looking at making the most I can from it within the shortest amount of time, but tips and tricks from my finance courses in college are slipping my mind right now. Stocks have always interested me, but not entirely sure of techniques and such for best trading investments.

Any advice on what I should look into? Or multiple options?

Here are a couple suggestions to help:

1. Trying to make a ton in a short period of time is what everyone wants to do but we don't call that investing....we call it gambling. What are you trying to turn your $2K into? $4K by December? Good luck without a gamble.

2. Best bet would be an S&P 500 Spider as it will just track with the market. Given what sounds like a young age and time, you will make money in the long run unless the world ends.

Good luck!

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK need some investing advice/help and not sure if this is the right place to post.  New into the professional job market (couple months now) and don't have too much to invest.  Maybe a couple thousand give or take.  What should I be looking at doing currently?  Obviously I'm looking at making the most I can from it within the shortest amount of time, but tips and tricks from my finance courses in college are slipping my mind right now.  Stocks have always interested me, but not entirely sure of techniques and such for best trading investments.

Any advice on what I should look into?  Or multiple options?  

check out www.betterment.com

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Simplesmartinvesting.com

Kennedy's done an excellent book (advertised on the site), which is a good thing to give a relative who is smart but uneducated in investing.

Last edited:

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2. Best bet would be an S&P 500 Spider as it will just track with the market.  Given what sounds like a young age and time, you will make money in the long run unless the world ends.

+1 on an S&P ETF. any reason you would go for spider over vanguard or others?

laxer if you set up an account direct with vanguard there are no trading fees.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads