Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Same here. :cheers:

Market has been treating me very well lately.

:)

2. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

It is my yearly rebalancing period and it is tough. I am starting a new job so I lose some 401k match but make up for it in salary. This then throws those asset classes out of whack. Add to that a new 401k not starting until 2015 so I need another way to save. Then there are other small bits and pieces here and there that have made me scratch my head a bit. It is fun to say the least.

3. otc

otc Senior member

I really need to rebalance again.

the 401k essentially takes care of itself (ML has self balancing features and it is all fairly broad funds so balance is easy to find), but it is only one portion of the total. What is hard is trying to plan and balance across accounts...especially since for instance, both my IRA and my 401k hold some form of S&P500 index. So while I can't flow funds between them, I can increase or reduce S&P500 holdings in the IRA to balance its total value against the 401k.

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Similar to my situation. Currently have 4 accounts but with transitioning my 401k to a Trad. IRA I will have 5. There is a lot of the S&P overlap but it is hard to get REITs and Bond exposure at the lowest cost.

5. otc

otc Senior member

Aren't any of those other 4 accounts an IRA?

Could you roll the 401k into one of those in order to keep the numbers down?

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

I've seen rolling a 401k into a Traditional IRA but read somewhere if you pay the tax now you can roll it into a Roth IRA. Roth IRA's are good if you expect to earn into another tax bracket which we are close to so that may be the route we take.

7. hye

hye Well-Known Member

what stocks should I buy? anyone have any hot tips?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014

8. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Decided to sell all of my OZM at $13.37... a gain of $1.29/share since I picked it up at the end of April.

Picked up 5,000 shares of Orexigen ($OREX) because their weight-loss drug Contrave[​IMG] is expected to be approved by the FDA on June 10th.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2239863-orexigen-will-run-heres-why

[​IMG]

9. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

OREX has no discernable patents.

10. amerikajinda

That's a good point... it does have a $12 price target though! :happy: That's almost double the $6.40/share I just paid... so please keep your fingers crossed!

11. laxer8

laxer8 Member

OK need some investing advice/help and not sure if this is the right place to post. New into the professional job market (couple months now) and don't have too much to invest. Maybe a couple thousand give or take. What should I be looking at doing currently? Obviously I'm looking at making the most I can from it within the shortest amount of time, but tips and tricks from my finance courses in college are slipping my mind right now. Stocks have always interested me, but not entirely sure of techniques and such for best trading investments.

Any advice on what I should look into? Or multiple options?

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Here are a couple suggestions to help:

1. Trying to make a ton in a short period of time is what everyone wants to do but we don't call that investing....we call it gambling. What are you trying to turn your $2K into? $4K by December? Good luck without a gamble.

2. Best bet would be an S&P 500 Spider as it will just track with the market. Given what sounds like a young age and time, you will make money in the long run unless the world ends.

Good luck!

13. amerikajinda

check out www.betterment.com

14. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Simplesmartinvesting.com

Kennedy's done an excellent book (advertised on the site), which is a good thing to give a relative who is smart but uneducated in investing.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014

15. tropics

tropics Senior member

+1 on an S&P ETF. any reason you would go for spider over vanguard or others?

laxer if you set up an account direct with vanguard there are no trading fees.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014