• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're unlikely to get very far with an algo system as a retial investor. An understanding of the indicators that you're most comfortable with, mixed with an understanding of price action and volume, as well as a lot of actual time trading are more likely to do it for you.

Edit: essentially, use your algo setup, but have man made support and resistance levels as stops and entries to help with money management. It'll increase the profitability and minimize loss on false signals or lagging signals.

So far I haven't found an equity or time-period that this thing loses money. I'm actually looking to refine it further with an eye towards starting an investment business with it, should it reach a certain level of robustness and average yield. It's in a basically proof-of-concept phase right now, but the results are encouraging enough to merit further refinement. I'm starting to drag more of my friends with advanced degrees in math into this, so I think it'll get there.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good bull, my man

Swag22

Reaction score

Plenty of people have this as a long, but plenty of people are also thinking why lose money now by not buying gold now? If you're a day trader / computer auto trader, they'll keep buying until the drop, and cash out before they lose much.

Fair enough, but you're moving from the premise that people can call top and bottom...the can't. I'm sure given Europe's cluster **** there will be move speculative rallying in gold, but eventually it will stop and people will come back to their senses and realize that it's a shiny piece of metal with no functional utility aside from psychological.

I'm also long JPM.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

linds_15

Reaction score
hey guys been following the thread for quite some time and got a q of my own
in one of my classes today we were told today we will be opening and managing a simulated portfolio that we can trade anything in. were encouraged to take risk and learn lessons and report on them. the top 4 students will getmarks added on to their final grades. apparently last year the top kid got a 3000% return over the 3 month simulation, im obviously not striving for that. i closely follow alot of tech companies but not the futures market close enough to really not any big risks that could pan out, anyone have any direction i could be steered in?

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey guys been following the thread for quite some time and got a q of my own
in one of my classes today we were told today we will be opening and managing a simulated portfolio that we can trade anything in. were encouraged to take risk and learn lessons and report on them. the top 4 students will getmarks added on to their final grades. apparently last year the top kid got a 3000% return over the 3 month simulation, im obviously not striving for that. i closely follow alot of tech companies but not the futures market close enough to really not any big risks that could pan out, anyone have any direction i could be steered in?

The other kid got lucky timing. Leverage + bull market + volatile stocks = big money. There's no clear direction right now, and there may not be for weeks. Unless you can nail some wicked intraday scalping, you're unlikely to pull anything major. Even scalping right now is a huge ****. A rumor that China was going to be buying up Italy's debt ran a ton of stops and broke a strong intraday trend over the course of something like a minute. Whoever dropped the rumor probably made a killing.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Getting excited about the Rodman & Renshaw conferences. GPXM speaking at the investor conf, and ACTC at the Healthcare today (this morning I think, already happened).

Me, Monaco, and Slopho should be getting pretty happy soon I'm imagining.

GLUU looks like it's trying to rise again, but probably trader's head fake and will give up whatever gains by mid-morning tomorrow. It's going to take a big PR, earnings, a Zynga IPO or any combo of those events to get this sucker moving. I'm salivating over the potential short squeeze.

Last edited:

Contingency Plan

Reaction score
Sold ARM today for a tidy profit: Intel are riding right up their ass with their low power roadmap and imminent Android collaboration.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just sent off a spreadsheet to my friend for modeling the optimal way to dynamically switch between investment strategies (the heuristic). I'd just been using simple linear slope calculations of the yield curves of the various strategies to select between them before, but we're trying to make it more sophisticated. Did a little test run and got dog-doo output -- so I cut the variables down by 6-fold and upped the number of data points to work with from 330K to 167MM. Feeling good about seeing some nice results. A lot of the **** I threw in there seemed to have strong predictive properties.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just sent off a spreadsheet to my friend for modeling the optimal way to dynamically switch between investment strategies (the heuristic). I'd just been using simple linear slope calculations of the yield curves of the various strategies to select between them before, but we're trying to make it more sophisticated. Did a little test run and got dog-doo output -- so I cut the variables down by 6-fold and upped the number of data points to work with from 330K to 167MM. Feeling good about seeing some nice results. A lot of the **** I threw in there seemed to have strong predictive properties.

Predictive properties aren't special. The MACD, Stochastic, etc. all are predictive. The problem is cutting out the false signals, and identifying targets.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh yeah technicals are great until you get to the right edge of the screen then all bets are off.

Aside from simple moving averages for trending stocks,

or Bollingers with RSI for ranging stocks,

I leave them alone.

Using Bollinger Bands in a range though does kick very much ass I have to admit.

Seems like the best traders only use a ruler and marker to draw channels anyway

Last edited:

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, NFLX is in the toilet?? Who saw that coming?

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Predictive properties aren't special. The MACD, Stochastic, etc. all are predictive. The problem is cutting out the false signals, and identifying targets.

Er, not predictive of stock price, predictive of the yield curve of the portfolio of strategies that the heuristic is choosing between.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an example using a graph of six strategies from a very early version of my modeling process (two notes about the graph: read from right-to-left, and the y-axis values need to be divided by 10 -- this was just something I was looking at for my own uses, so it wasn't exactly well-formatted).

SANDP.png

This is the yield of 6 different investment strategies over a 10-year period on the S&P 500 (from 2001 to 2011). As you can see, some perform better than others, and some tend to move in opposing directions, lead/lag each other slightly, etc. What I do is then layer a heuristic on top of these, that attempts to stitch the best sections of each yield curve together, to get a consistent, stronger upward trajectory.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. That looks pretty cool,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads