• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Should I consolidate my old 401k plan I to my IRA account?

When. I changed jobs a few years ago, I moved my large 401k (310k~) to chase and have had it there. It is not doing. Great with the market etc etc l, but things are fine.

I have a smaller 401k sitting in merril, they had about 43 k in it, and is down about 20% from it's highs. Should I roll it over, move it into chase and invest it as I see fit? Or leave it in merril until it hopefully regains it's value?

For whatever it is worth, my chase distribution is SPY heavy (like 90%) with a. Bunch of other dividend stocks that I am slowly reinvesting dividends I to etc. Sadly, most of my dividend portfolio is down big. Might need to average down ;)

Regardless, any thoughts on what I should do with the other 401k?

Thanks!

Edited to remove cash out, not what I meant

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score
Hey all,

When. I changed jobs a few years ago, I moved my large 401k (310k~) to chase and have had it there. It is not doing. Great with the market etc etc l, but things are fine.

I have a smaller 401k sitting in merril, they had about 43 k in it, and is down about 20% from it's highs. Should I cash it out, move it into chase and invest it as I see fit? Or leave it in merril until it hopefully regains it's value?

For whatever it is worth, my chase distribution is SPY heavy (like 90%) with a. Bunch of other dividend stocks that I am slowly reinvesting dividends I to etc. Sadly, most of my dividend portfolio is down big. Might need to average down ;)

Thanks!

I think it is personal choice. A few thoughts though.

1. Some 401k plans will charge you a maintenance fee if you no longer work there. That's happened to me once after about 3 years. It was like a nominal $3/mo but I'm cheap, and both my 401k plans were with the same place.

2. If you have an IRA you can't backdoor Roth. This may not matter to you or you may be able to mega backdoor Roth through your 401k.

3. Then it just comes down to funds vs ease of management. If you are happiest with the funds in your 401k leave it. If not, moving it makes more sense.

4. I would never cash out a retirement plan and take the penalty.

For what it is worth, I have an IRA with one broker and I rolled my 401k into my new 401k. Still have the IRA with sharing else. No reason other than laziness really.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you cash out Merril you will have to pay a penalty and income taxes on it. Just roll it into chase.
My bad, that is what I meant. I don't want to cash it out, just roll it over.

Garrister

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a smaller 401k sitting in merril, they had about 43 k in it, and is down about 20% from it's highs. Should I roll it over, move it into chase and invest it as I see fit? Or leave it in merril until it hopefully regains it's value?

Thanks!

I would recommend that you (and almost all others in your situation) to roll it over into an IRA (preferably held at a large and stable broker like Fidelity or Schwab) in order to avail yourself to a limitless platform of investment options as opposed to the highly structured platform of a 401k plan -- where investment vehicles are limited and determined by your (former) employer. Also, 401k platforms often provide funds that may appear to have lower expense ratios but, in reality, are more expensive because the share class provides a participation tail fee to the provider. I have seen funds charge 0.75% more on a simple C class fund share.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks!

Two words: Bitcoin.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks!

Punctuation is worse than @double00

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks!

How are investment options at the new place? If good, roll over to new and continue to backdoor.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'd roll out into my self-directed IRA. If you're happy with the allocation in the current fund, but like you said you're down, nothing to stop you from simply dropping it back into the same/similar allocation and enjoy the eventual ride up again.

What BC said about fees. You won't have them in your IRA but will in a 401(k) as the TPA needs to get paid.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey all,

Thanks!

Why the sudden thought? What brought this idea to your attention in the first place?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the sudden thought? What brought this idea to your attention in the first place?
Well, left that job a year ago and didnt forget about it, but left it a bit.and here we are. Trying to see what makes the most sense

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads